The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Make the call

A1 is dribbling ball up in backcourt. A2 is running in FC and meets up with B2. Both have attitude and shove each other at same time. No words. What is call. NFHS/NCAA men
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 05:53pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
A1 is dribbling ball up in backcourt. A2 is running in FC and meets up with B2. Both have attitude and shove each other at same time. No words. What is call. NFHS/NCAA men
Double Technical foul. No FTs awarded, go to POI.

Come on, big money!
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Adios to A2 and B2, flagrant fouls to each. Add the fouls to each team's totals. Team A inbounds the ball in the backcourt.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 08:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

Come on, big money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
Adios to A2 and B2, flagrant fouls to each. Add the fouls to each team's totals. Team A inbounds the ball in the backcourt.

The Ball was Live when A2 and B2 committed the fouls against each other, therefore the foul is a Double Personal Foul under both NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The Ball was Live when A2 and B2 committed the fouls against each other, therefore the foul is a Double Personal Foul under both NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules.

MTD, Sr.

Bingo. You can deem one or both parts flagrant, but by definition you cannot deem them technical.

Which brings up some interesting sidebars:

1. NFHS: Suppose one part of the double personal foul is intentional or flagrant, and the other is common? What do you do?

2. NCAA: Suppose one part of the double personal foul is F1 or F2 and the other part is not the same. What do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Bingo. You can deem one or both parts flagrant, but by definition you cannot deem them technical.

Which brings up some interesting sidebars:

1. NFHS: Suppose one part of the double personal foul is intentional or flagrant, and the other is common? What do you do?

2. NCAA: Suppose one part of the double personal foul is F1 or F2 and the other part is not the same. What do you do?

NCAAW (and I think Men is the same, except the throw-in is at the division line)

Art. 10. After any double personal or technical fouls or any simultaneous personal or technical fouls when there is team control and only one of the fouls is a flagrant foul, play shall be resumed with a throw-in to the offended team at the point of interruption
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAAW (and I think Men is the same, except the throw-in is at the division line)

Art. 10. After any double personal or technical fouls or any simultaneous personal or technical fouls when there is team control and only one of the fouls is a flagrant foul, play shall be resumed with a throw-in to the offended team at the point of interruption

Got it. So in NCAA, still no free throws, but there is some penalty for the more egregious side of the double foul in that the offended team gets the ball regardless of who had team control to begin with.

What if there is an unbalanced double technical when there is NOT team control (e.g. during a dead ball)?

Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

I brought this situation up because i dont like the fact that because the ball was live our only choices are double intentional fouls or flagrant. Flagrant is too severe for the situation im envisioning and double personals isnt severe enough.

Id like to have the option to call it a T. Player might change attitude knowing he gets another he is ejected and suspended. As a practical matter, if a player acts up again after we call the double personal we can just call that flagrant and toss him. I havnt thought too deeply about it but not sure why they dont allow us to call double Ts.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 08:19am
Stubborn Member

I'm not defending my wrong answer, but I agree with BigCat here.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if there is an unbalanced double technical when there is NOT team control (e.g. during a dead ball)?
Art. 11.
After any double personal or technical fouls or any simultaneous
personal or technical fouls when there is no team control and neither foul is
a flagrant foul nor contact dead ball technical foul, play shall resume at the
point of interruption�
Art. 12.
personal or technical fouls when there is no team control (excluding when a try is in flight) and one of the fouls is a flagrant foul or contact dead ball technical foul, play shall be resumed with a throw-in to the offended team at the point of interruption�
Art. 13.
personal or technical fouls when one of the fouls is a flagrant foul and is committed while a try is in flight:
a� When the try is successful, the ball is awarded to the offended team at the end line for a single contact dead ball technical foul or a single
flagrant 2 technical foul�
b� When the try is unsuccessful, the ball is awarded to the offended team
at a designated spot nearest to where the try was unsuccessful for a single contact dead ball technical foul or a single flagrant 2 technical foul�
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

Come on, big money!
This is why i put it out there. There are a lot of people who think double Ts are available. I think they should be but they're not under rules we have now.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 08:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Got it. So in NCAA, still no free throws, but there is some penalty for the more egregious side of the double foul in that the offended team gets the ball regardless of who had team control to begin with.

Incorrect, in NCAA-Men's, all appropriate free throws are shot if one of the fouls is a flagrant.

Rule 10-1 Penalty:
"f . There shall be no free throws for any double personal or simultaneous personal fouls and the ball shall be put into play at the point of interruption unless only one of the fouls is a flagrant foul. In such case, when a common foul penalty requires free throws, the free throws for the common foul will be administered with no players in the marked lane spaces followed by the free throws for the flagrant personal foul with no players in the marked lane spaces. Play will be resumed at the point of interruption with the ball awarded to the team offended by the flagrant personal foul. [Exception: A single flagrant 2 technical foul or a single contact dead ball technical foul.]"

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Oct 20, 2016 at 08:35am.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Incorrect, in NCAA-Men's, all appropriate free throws are shot if one of the fouls is a flagrant.

Rule 10-1 Penalty:

"f . There shall be no free throws for any double personal or simultaneous personal fouls and the ball shall be put into play at the point of interruption unless only one of the fouls is a flagrant foul. In such case, when a common foul penalty requires free throws, the free throws for the common foul will be administered with no players in the marked lane spaces followed by the free throws for the flagrant personal foul with no players in the marked lane spaces. Play will be resumed at the point of interruption with the ball awarded to the team offended by the flagrant personal foul. [Exception: A single flagrant 2 technical foul or a single contact dead ball technical foul.]"

Cool, thanks. Same for NCAA-W or different?

Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Cool, thanks. Same for NCAA-W or different?

The books are available on line.

e.
There shall be no free throws for any double personal or simultaneous
personal fouls and the ball shall be put into play at the point of
interruption unless only one of the fouls is a flagrant foul. In such
case, when a common foul penalty requires free throws, the free
throws for the common foul will be administered with no players in
the marked lane spaces followed by the free throws for the flagrant
personal foul with no players in the marked lane spaces. Play will be
resumed at the point of interruption with a throw-in awarded to the
team offended by the flagrant personal foul.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For funsies, no one see this as a fighting act, worthy of flagrant fouls and disqualification?