The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Fed rules only.

1) Two outs. R1 steals to second as R3 heads for home. R3 touches home at the same time R1 gets thrown out at second (now there are 3 outs). Does the run count?

2) Top of the first inning. Defense wants to substitutes F5 before he has had his first at bats. I allow the substitution. Offensive coach says I can't do that since F5 hasn't had his first at bats. Who's right? (He told me that on two separate occasions umpires have not allowed a substitution in this situation.

3) Courtesy runner comes into the game to bat. Coach says he can't do that because he already entered the games as a courtesy runner. I allowed the substitution and explained to him that a courtesy runner can enter in the game just so long is he does not enter the game in the same half inning that he was a courtesy runner. Also, I explained that he can no longer be used as a courtesy runner after he enters the game. Who's right?

[Edited by Gre144 on Apr 19th, 2001 at 09:21 PM]
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Greg---3 different sitches = 3 threads as a recommendation.

Let's start with the easy ones:

Sitch 2---right call. you can only be responsible for getting calls right in your game at hand.
Never let a coach pull the old "But before........." on you.

Sithch 3---Right call. Nuf said.

Sitch 1--- tough decision we all have had to make (or will have to).
If you are sure of score/no score, then call as you see it.

If too close to tell:
No such thing as a tie, right?
Who made the best play?
Close game--appears no score here, prove to me you earned the lead
Blowout---lead team at bat, unlikely score;
----------team that is behind scoring, probably scores. don't give them reason to blame blowout on you.

Just my opinion, many may disagree
Steve
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 11:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Not that difficult to explain

1) Two outs. R1 steals to second as R3 heads for home. R3 touches home at the same time R1 gets thrown out at second (now there are 3 outs). Does the run count?

******I would have to see the play. Just be sure that you know the run was there. Either way you are probably going to have an argument on your hands. It is up to you how you handle it.

2) Top of the first inning. Defense wants to substitutes F5 before he has had his first at bats. I allow the substitution. Offensive coach says I can't do that since F5 hasn't had his first at bats. Who's right? (He told me that on two separate occasions umpires have not allowed a substitution in this situation.

******Once the lineups have been exchanged, any substitution can happen. You just treat the starter, like a normal starter. They can re-enter the game once and that is it.

3) Courtesy runner comes into the game to bat. Coach says he can't do that because he already entered the games as a courtesy runner. I allowed the substitution and explained to him that a courtesy runner can enter in the game just so long is he does not enter the game in the same half inning that he was a courtesy runner. Also, I explained that he can no longer be used as a courtesy runner after he enters the game. Who's right?

******I courtesy runner can come in the game anytime. The only restriction on the courtesy runner rule, is the fact that the same CR cannot run for the pitcher and catcher. But once they come into the game as a substitue, obviously they cannot be a CR anymore.

Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not that difficult to explain

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

******Once the lineups have been exchanged, any substitution can happen. You just treat the starter, like a normal starter. They can re-enter the game once and that is it.

The starting pitcher must meet his requirements of facing first batter. Unless injured, he cannot be substituted for until the requirements are met.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

******I courtesy runner can come in the game anytime. The only restriction on the courtesy runner rule, is the fact that the same CR cannot run for the pitcher and catcher. But once they come into the game as a substitue, obviously they cannot be a CR anymore.

A courtesy runner may not be used in two different offensive roles in the same half inning as Greg correctly pointed out.

Just my opinion,

Steve
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Not that difficult to explain

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair

The starting pitcher must meet his requirements of facing first batter. Unless injured, he cannot be substituted for until the requirements are met.

The starting pitcher can be substituted for without facing the first batter. The penalty is that the starting pitcher cannot "return" to pitch for the remainder of the game.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Greg, for your lst situation, keep in mind that light travels at 186,000 miles/second. Therefore, since the reflection of the light from runner at second had to travel 127+ feet farther to you than the reflection from the runner at the plate, the out at second occurred before the run scored even though the two events appeared simultaneous to you.

I'm sure any offensive coach would take such an explanation without any dispute whatsoever.