The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think there is more purpose for what side we go to after a foul than there is if we report 2 hands or 1.

Peace
Then why don't we have the option to report with two hands under NFHS mechanics?

Anyway, my point was only that I would rather see two hands allowed as opposed to going opposite if I had to choose an NFHS mechanics change.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 05:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Then why don't we have the option to report with two hands under NFHS mechanics?

Anyway, my point was only that I would rather see two hands allowed as opposed to going opposite if I had to choose an NFHS mechanics change.
Because that is a college (and pro) mechanic. And for the record your jurisdiction can do whatever the heck they want in this area. Mechanics are not something we are all tied to either way. If your state or associations wants to do something else, that is their right. The NF is a starting point for most of us, but not everything has to be done to the letter of the NF mechanics.

I would also assume that the reason there is only 1 hand reporting, is the fact that the NF (or any HS organization) wants to make things simple and to complicated.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Because that is a college (and pro) mechanic. And for the record your jurisdiction can do whatever the heck they want in this area. Mechanics are not something we are all tied to either way. If your state or associations wants to do something else, that is their right. The NF is a starting point for most of us, but not everything has to be done to the letter of the NF mechanics.

I would also assume that the reason there is only 1 hand reporting, is the fact that the NF (or any HS organization) wants to make things simple and to complicated.

Peace
Sure, but the reality is that a lot of states use NFHS mechanics to the letter and are not going to make changes on their own.

I don't agree that two handed reporting makes anything more complicated.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2016, 09:31am
Stubborn Member

Two hand reporting can also be confusing for the table.

Say I want to report a foul on number "21", so I hold up two fingers on my left hand and one finger on my right. When looking at it from my viewpoint I'm showing "21", but from the table's viewpoint I'm showing number "12". And if the table can't hear me verbally say "21", they may give the foul to the wrong player, thus causing problems down the road.

There needs to be a specific mechanic given by the NF for reporting player numbers with two hands, so that both the official and table know what to do/look for. However, there's not. So you're inevitably going to run into problems like I described. Therefore... keep it simple-stupid.

BTW, I think we all have worked games with people at the table that are less than competent. And perhaps that's not as much of a problem at the college level, thus making two-handed foul reporting less of a problem.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2016, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

Say I want to report a foul on number "21", so I hold up two fingers on my left hand and one finger on my right. When looking at it from my viewpoint I'm showing "21", but from the table's viewpoint I'm showing number "12". And if the table can't hear me verbally say "21", they may give the foul to the wrong player, thus causing problems down the road.

There needs to be a specific mechanic given by the NF for reporting player numbers with two hands, so that both the official and table know what to do/look for. However, there's not. So you're inevitably going to run into problems like I described. Therefore... keep it simple-stupid.

BTW, I think we all have worked games with people at the table that are less than competent. And perhaps that's not as much of a problem at the college level, thus making two-handed foul reporting less of a problem.
There is already a standard for 2-hand reporting. Right hand is the "tens" and left hand is the "ones". That way the table reads us from their left to their right.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2016, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Sure, but the reality is that a lot of states use NFHS mechanics to the letter and are not going to make changes on their own.

I don't agree that two handed reporting makes anything more complicated.
Well if I have learned anything from this board, there are a lot of states and I would suggest most that do not use NF Mechanics to a letter. There are many places that have variations or things that need to be I have always said that NF Mechanics (or any mechanics) are a guide and starting point.

I also was not giving just my position on why there are not two handed reporting, but stated the NF position or what seems to be their philosophy on all their mechanics. Most of their mechanics are easier and standard so that everyone from the brand new official to the 50 year veteran can follow.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 11, 2016, 02:39pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There is already a standard for 2-hand reporting. Right hand is the "tens" and left hand is the "ones". That way the table reads us from their left to their right.
This. Every level of two-handed reporting does it this way and any scorekeeper worth their salt should be able to handle two-handed reporting. Most of the time the scorekeeper knows who the foul is on anyway.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2016, 02:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Two-handed reporting is just a matter of time, but I just don't get the obsession with it. I really couldn't care less either way. This is one potential rule/mechanic change I would not vote for or against.

No, it's not difficult to do.
No, it's not difficult to read from the scorer's table.
No, it doesn't really add anything to the game.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2016, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's on the official for not reporting correctly.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Oct 11, 2016, 03:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And I think that this is why we do not have a overall mechanical change as this is exactly the concern. We have officials that cannot get right one hand (putting hands in front of body or face and cannot raise their hand in the air properly) reporting right and why I feel they have yet to make a change.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 11, 2016, 03:42pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
There is already a standard for 2-hand reporting. Right hand is the "tens" and left hand is the "ones".
This mechanic was developed to relieve us from having to take our shoes and socks off to indicate a foul on a player whose number was higher than 10.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 08:26am
Stubborn Member

I didn't know there was a standard in high school officiating. I don't see the big deal, anyway.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 08:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I didn't know there was a standard in high school officiating. I don't see the big deal, anyway.
There isn't. There is a standard for 2-hand reporting, in response to this:

Quote:

Say I want to report a foul on number "21", so I hold up two fingers on my left hand and one finger on my right. When looking at it from my viewpoint I'm showing "21", but from the table's viewpoint I'm showing number "12". And if the table can't hear me verbally say "21", they may give the foul to the wrong player, thus causing problems down the road...

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Oct 12, 2016 at 08:42am.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 10:05am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
There isn't. There is a standard for 2-hand reporting, in response to this:
And I said I didn't know there was a high school standard. Thus making the prior comment about the confusion unnecessary or just wrong.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quite the contrary - NCAA-M should go table side like every other league in the world.