The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I wish NFHS mechanics indicated... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101703-i-wish-nfhs-mechanics-indicated.html)

UNIgiantslayers Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:23pm

I wish NFHS mechanics indicated...

...calling official go opposite table so we don't have coaches chirping in our ear. I assume I'm not alone here, but that would be my preference. Do any of you who have been around or are privy to the conversations that happen in the circle of those who matter more than me know why they have calling official stay table side?

Also, sorry if this has been discussed in the past.

crosscountry55 Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:32pm

I wish NFHS mechanics indicated...

Always an interesting conversation. There are pros and cons. In general, staying tableside saves a few seconds of walking, and I think the NFHS would rather see officials communicate openly and honestly with coaches who have questions. Along with that, of course, they expect us to take care of business when coaches cross the line.

I'm for staying tableside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNIgiantslayers Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:35pm

I can understand and respect that. I'm often the youngest on my crew though, so maybe I'm touchy about how much more I perceive coaches trying to see how far they can push with me. Maybe I need to stop being so sensitive:cool:

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 991528)
I can understand and respect that. I'm often the youngest on my crew though, so maybe I'm touchy about how much more I perceive coaches trying to see how far they can push with me. Maybe I need to stop being so sensitive:cool:

This!! And also, it gives you an opportunity to explain something if it needs explaining. Don't feel like you have to respond and explain EVERYTHING, but at the same time, if you can't explain it, you shouldn't have called it. Sometimes it's a fine line as to whether or not something needs to be explained. That's just something that will come with time.

Raymond Fri Oct 07, 2016 01:14pm

Quote:

Just b/c you go tableside doesn't mean you have to be close enough to the coach for him to bend your ear. ;)

Adam Fri Oct 07, 2016 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 991525)
...calling official go opposite table so we don't have coaches chirping in our ear. I assume I'm not alone here, but that would be my preference. Do any of you who have been around or are privy to the conversations that happen in the circle of those who matter more than me know why they have calling official stay table side?

Personally, I prefer being table side because if there's something I need to say to the coach, I can do it more quietly. If I don't want to hear him, I can tune him out just as easily from either side. In fact, that might be easier if he's not yelling across the court.

Adam Fri Oct 07, 2016 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 991531)
This!! And also, it gives you an opportunity to explain something if it needs explaining. Don't feel like you have to respond and explain EVERYTHING, but at the same time, if you can't explain it, you shouldn't have called it. Sometimes it's a fine line as to whether or not something needs to be explained. That's just something that will come with time.

I know it's what you're saying, but just because I can explain something doesn't mean I'm going to take the time to do it; even if I'm table side.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 07, 2016 03:13pm

Quote:

Did you work when we did go opposite?

I prefer the current arrangement.

UNIgiantslayers Fri Oct 07, 2016 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 991548)

I sure didn't, that's why I included the part about those of you who have been around. Care to expand?

Camron Rust Sat Oct 08, 2016 01:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 991548)

Agree. It was near impossible to answer a question to from across the court and it was awkward diverting so you didn't have to yell at the coach to give an explanation. Of course, yelling is usually not a good choice. Now, you have the opportunity to answer a question in the natural flow of the game without making it so obvious and without creating much, if any, delay.

You always have the option of not sitting right in the coaches lap if you don't want to and you also have the option of just not rotating to that spot of you need to keep away from the coach for a bit.

APG Sat Oct 08, 2016 02:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 991525)

Nope. I prefer to go tableside. For one, I can explain something if it warrants. Two, I don't have to try and placate a coach for a call my partner made. I wish NCAA M wasn't the outlier and had officials go tableside. Every assignor I've had has side as much.

deecee Sat Oct 08, 2016 07:43am

Learning to deal with coaches is half the job. Once you figure that out this gets even easier.

bob jenkins Sat Oct 08, 2016 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 991549)
I sure didn't, that's why I included the part about those of you who have been around. Care to expand?

I can see where newer officials being near newer coaches could cause some problems -- neither knows how to talk to the other, yet. On the other hand, when are you going to learn?

JRutledge Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:36am

All they do is when you go opposite is yell across the floor. Nothing is so special about being table side or opposite table. We go opposite table in college and it does not make communication always better. The difference with college is the officials tend to be a little more experienced so they know how to handle many coaches yelling across the court, but that does not mean it does not have its problems. I have gotten to the point where I really do not care either way.

Peace

OKREF Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:42am

In our state, in a game with 2 officials we do go opposite table. I prefer to stay table side. Just think there is less loud communication between coach and official.