The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 08, 2016, 02:06pm
This IS My Social Life

There is a problem with many NFHS high school officials who are their own worst enemies. They report the foul far too close to the table and then head on over toward the coach, into what we around here call the "Hornets Nest", or the "Coach's Vortex" into which they get sucked.
The coach would have had nothing to say had not the official abetted his comment by his proximity. Most often then, the comment is not a question, not constuctive, and was only instigated by such an unnecessary close proximity. You're entering his house...he pretty much feels he's gotta say something.
Bad.
Solution: Review the actual reporting box. (Billy Mac, can you post it for me?) Get there...report...turn around and be in position for the ensuing play. Report from where you want to be for the next play. Quick getting sucked into the vortex. Stay out of the hornet's nest. Most often the coach has nothing to say or ask.
Many get themselves in trouble when they report and then saunter on over towards the coach and end up conversing in unconstructive banter otherwise unforthcoming. If the coach has a question, give him the proximity and the time -- keep your head, shoulders, and eyes on the court while listening --, but that is probably a lot more rare than those who bring it upon themselves by getting sucked into the vortex of the "Hornet's Nest".
I speak not only as an official, but as a former coach who loved to suck officials into my "Vortex" to chew on them strategically when they were willing to get sucked in.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Oct 08, 2016 at 02:09pm.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2016, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
There is a problem with many NFHS high school officials who are their own worst enemies. They report the foul far too close to the table and then head on over toward the coach, into what we around here call the "Hornets Nest", or the "Coach's Vortex" into which they get sucked.
The coach would have had nothing to say had not the official abetted his comment by his proximity. Most often then, the comment is not a question, not constuctive, and was only instigated by such an unnecessary close proximity. You're entering his house...he pretty much feels he's gotta say something.
Bad.
Solution: Review the actual reporting box. (Billy Mac, can you post it for me?) Get there...report...turn around and be in position for the ensuing play. Report from where you want to be for the next play. Quick getting sucked into the vortex. Stay out of the hornet's nest. Most often the coach has nothing to say or ask.
Many get themselves in trouble when they report and then saunter on over towards the coach and end up conversing in unconstructive banter otherwise unforthcoming. If the coach has a question, give him the proximity and the time -- keep your head, shoulders, and eyes on the court while listening --, but that is probably a lot more rare than those who bring it upon themselves by getting sucked into the vortex of the "Hornet's Nest".
I speak not only as an official, but as a former coach who loved to suck officials into my "Vortex" to chew on them strategically when they were willing to get sucked in.
Agreed!!!

Peace
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 10:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Nope. I prefer to go tableside. For one, I can explain something if it warrants. Two, I don't have to try and placate a coach for a call my partner made. I wish NCAA M wasn't the outlier and had officials go tableside. Every assignor I've had has side as much.
it doesn't bother me going away from the table. And if I need to say something to the coach then I'll let my partner know I'm coming tableside.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 11:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ask And It Will Be Given To You (Matthew 7:7) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Review the actual reporting box.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I would much rather the NFHS allow two-handed reporting.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would love the opportunity to go tableside after a foul. We do 2-man.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I would much rather the NFHS allow two-handed reporting.
Really? That is such a meaningless distinction that adds absolutely nothing to the game or your ability to officiate.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
I would love the opportunity to go tableside after a foul. We do 2-man.
You do if there will be FTs.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2016, 05:33pm
Stubborn Member

When I was new I felt the same way about getting away from coaches, but it turns out I was just too thin-skinned and didn't know how to explain the call well.

But it's something we have to learn how to do. Besides, I love Adam's point about being able to speak with a coach without either party yelling across the court, or staying by the bench to make it obvious.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
When I was new I felt the same way about getting away from coaches, but it turns out I was just too thin-skinned and didn't know how to explain the call well.

But it's something we have to learn how to do. Besides, I love Adam's point about being able to speak with a coach without either party yelling across the court, or staying by the bench to make it obvious.
My goal for this year is to improve my communication skills and hopefully bring down the number of T's I hand out. I'm hoping an improvement in communication will help de-escalate a handful of the technicals. Maybe a higher comfort level being closer to the coaches will follow as I improve that area. This will be my first year with a varsity only slate through each week with my only sub varsity being Saturday booster tourneys, so hopefully with that many games with a bit more at stake, I'll feel more comfortable, confident, and look less like the new guy on all of my crews.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
This will be my first year with a varsity only slate through each week…so hopefully with that many games with a bit more at stake, I'll feel more comfortable, confident, and look less like the new guy on all of my crews.

First off, congrats!!! And to put you at ease, it's not a matter of hoping. When you work at 7pm every Tuesday and Friday, it means your assignor trusts you and most coaches get that. I'm positive you'll be comfortable and confident very quickly this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Thanks man... I was doing mostly varsity last year, but threw in some sub varsity stuff to fill out the schedule. Those were tough because a lot of times guys at the sub varsity level are either done doing varsity so they don't care, or trying to work their way up and aren't as strong so I don't learn a whole lot. I love doing varsity because I always learn something new from the guys I work with.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Really? That is such a meaningless distinction that adds absolutely nothing to the game or your ability to officiate.
Nor does going opposite table after reporting.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Nor does going opposite table after reporting.
I think there is more purpose for what side we go to after a foul than there is if we report 2 hands or 1.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised to see this thread turn into an argument about something that has nothing to do with the original post. I wish that would happen more here.