The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Disconcertion

If players on the bench yell "Shot" or "Box Out" during a free throw is it considered disconcertion and if so what is the penalty?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

No. They would have to do more than that and I am not completely sure that you can "technically" call dissertation for bench personnel. I just do not have my rulebook to know for sure.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 11:15am
This IS My Social Life

I walked into the teeth of this question several years back.
9-1-3c says, "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower."
To some, that leaves the door open for penalizing those on the bench of the other team who disconcert the free thrower.
To others, such a violation can only be committed by an opposing player on the court, with an unsporting T, if merited, on the bench for the distractive behaviors you describe.
What's your interpretation?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I've passed on penalizing the bench. If I did, then wouldn't I have to penalize a coach is telling his players to "Box Out" during a free throw.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I walked into the teeth of this question several years back.
9-1-3c says, "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower."
To some, that leaves the door open for penalizing those on the bench of the other team who disconcert the free thrower.
To others, such a violation can only be committed by an opposing player on the court, with an unsporting T, if merited, on the bench for the distractive behaviors you describe.
What's your interpretation?
I don't recall ever calling disconcerting on bench personnel. That being said I have no idea how you wouldn't consider an opposing team member(bench) an opponent.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I don't recall ever calling disconcerting on bench personnel. That being said I have no idea how you wouldn't consider an opposing team member(bench) an opponent.
They would have to do something rather organized for me to even draw my attention. But simply saying "Box out" is not what I would call disconcertion. Now if you say that right as the FT shooter is in their motion or doing only when the shooter is with the ball, then I might consider it. But I do believe there is a case play that addresses this and I am not sure that a violation was the remedy, but I could be wrong on this but I have nothing in my office to look this up right now.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 12:48pm
High Five Master

I know it would t be required but this would get at least a warning first before I would consider a T. They would have to pretty much force me to penalize.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 01:37pm
Administrator

Here is the link to a 2013 thread on the Basketball Forum. The thread is 4 pages long and I get quite riled up later in the thread.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ion-bench.html

I would recommend reading the posts by BillyMac and myself: #6, #13, #14, #17, and #18.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Committees have yet to address the definition of "opponent".
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, that was quite a thread from '13. Interesting discussion among officiating professionals. It happens quite a bit in the middle school games we are assigned. A quick word to the offending bench has always stopped the problem.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Wow, that was quite a thread from '13. Interesting discussion among officiating professionals. It happens quite a bit in the middle school games we are assigned. A quick word to the offending bench has always stopped the problem.
And with lower level games, check the rules of competition. Our CYO league made very clear that disconcertion applied to everyone -- including parents and fans because they wanted to get rid of the behavior.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Our CYO league hasn't gone there yet, but we do get our occasional parent who gets asked to leave for many other "interesting" offenses. Even had a girl ask me last year if I could throw her Dad out. Told her she had to suffer along with me. She said she suffered 24 hours a day and could I give her a break-------ah, from the mouth of babes!