The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 02:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

My two comments about this in another venue:

----------------------

Eh, I think you'd better have more than that before you toss a coach from a game. Anything that immediately comes after a technical should be ignored unless she comes out on the court after the official. It's illogical to think that you're going to whack a coach and she's just going to quietly walk over to her chair and sit down.

Any ejection in this situation should be done in a way that just about every sane commenter would say, "that official really didn't have a choice but to eject her."

----------------------
A technical is an emotional thing, no matter how many times people claim "it's just another foul." Look at how the C calls the foul -- I can't remember ever putting that much energy into a hand-check or travel.

Why put yourself or your crew in a position where you (accidentally or intentionally) bait a coach into a second one.

She's out of the box, but off the floor. She's RECEIVED A TECHNICAL FOUL. She'll be back in the box before the ball's put in play. Let her alone for a bit and go shoot the free throws. In most cases you won't even have to address the coach as she'll be back in the box and off the ledge by the time the throws are completed.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
IS that because she comes up with new antics every year, or because the officials working her games continuously fail to enforce things the way they are told to enforce them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno View Post
Consider the NCAA's perspective. March Madness generates over $1B in revenue. Mulkey is must-see TV for her antics. In addition to her jacket's twitter feed -- not to mention the fact that the rare WBB game is being discussed on this board -- promotes NCAA WBB. More talk, more viewers, more ads, more revenue from media, etc.

Promote what you permit, right?

I know an official who T'd her years back in the tourney (no-brainer call), and predictably landed on her s*it list. Though a mainstay in tourneys, took 5 years before said official worked even a preseason game for her. Official said they'd do it again, but wouldn't climb over a partner to T her in the future. Times have changed, but don't underestimate coaches influence at high-visibility levels.
W&S, it might not be a perfect world but pizanno's comments probably explain it all the best. If this was the NBA - that is to say, if officials were employees as opposed to independent contractors - officials might not worry as much about the ramifications. Not to say those on Monday night's game had that in their minds but it's hard not to have it in your mind on that stage.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
IS that because she comes up with new antics every year, or because the officials working her games continuously fail to enforce things the way they are told to enforce them?
Nothing new here: the only reason I know who she is is because she can't keep her coat on.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Eh, Mulkey got what she deserved. She was on Kyle Bacon beginning with his foul call at 5:53 in the 1st period. At 3:01 (still in the 1st), she's shouting across the floor to Lisa Mattingly about what she says was a no call on a hold.

Admittedly, a holding call against Oregon State was missed by the crew on a loose ball at 2:04 (yes, still 1st period). The ball goes OOB near Baylor's bench and Bacon (now the new T) gives it back to Oregon State. Mulkey's losing her mind (at least, what's left of it) and Carla Fountain comes from the baseline and clearly gives Mulkey a warning.

Her shenanigans continued in the 2nd period: the jacket toss, her wave-off of Bacon after his illegal screen call with 6.3 seconds remaining, and her other wave-off of him as she walked off the court at the end of the first half. Frankly, I'm surprised it took them as long as it did to ring her. Like others have said ... this is just Kim Mulkey getting away with what Kim Mulkey gets away with nearly every game.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You've had a toddler curse at you and wave you off??
You should meet her dad

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised we haven't heard any of the "camp speak" about being calm when issuing a T yet. After all, it's just another foul call.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I'm surprised we haven't heard any of the "camp speak" about being calm when issuing a T yet. After all, it's just another foul call.
I think the official may have become a bit animated because he was shocked by what he saw (not that Mulkey hasn't tossed a jacket before, but...). It looked like an, "Holy crap, did she really just do that?" reaction and it carried over into how the call was made.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 06:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Calm Down ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A technical is an emotional thing, no matter how many times people claim "it's just another foul."
Agree. But once an official decides to charge such, said official should try to treat it just like any other foul. Report. Penalize. Play ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. But once an official decides to charge such, said official should try to treat it just like any other foul. Report. Penalize. Play ball.
Except that if the response to any other foul is to stomp/complain/tirade the response is to T.

If we T and then walk away to avoid the "gotcha again T" then we re treating it like a very different foul regardless of how we try to approach it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

I guess I'm different, but if I T up a coach and they are still going at me I don't run away. I report and stay in my reporting area and deal with MY problem.

At the college level, this is also expected. I don't need a white knight to come to my rescue as I am an adult. If by me standing in my "reporting" area and trying to address the situation doesn't work the coach will most likely be done. It would take the coach to have approached my position, spoken loudly so multiple folks can hear what is said, and for them to have (a) said something not so nice and/or (b) not followed any requests I made (i.e. return to your bench please).

If a partner does want to walk a coach back, that's fine. But I'm not going to saddle, or expect, my partner to handle my issue and just report, turn an run. In the end my philosophy is we punish the coach's behavior, not feel guilty for doing our job.

I sure as hell won't approach the coach's bench, if I do step towards the coach it's because they are far out on the court and I'm returning them to their bench.

It irks me when a partner calls a T and the coach is laying into my partner and they just report, turn and run. Hey you called the T, if he needs a quick explanation, give it to him. If he doesn't then try like an adult to resolve the situation. If that fails toss him. Partners are there to help, not do my job.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:04am
Official & Member

Another March Tournament...another Mulkey Meltdown. This has become so predictable, it's almost a cliche. Rather than trying to decide whether the officials on her game have the stones or justification to toss her, I'm left wondering why her AD, conference and NCAA don't clamp down on her. I find it hard to believe her performance as a viewership draw (read:$$$) outweighs the negative light it casts on the school and her team.

I have to believe the officials assigned to the tournament silently hope that they don't get assigned to her games.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:08am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I guess I'm different, but if I T up a coach and they are still going at me I don't run away. I report and stay in my reporting area and deal with MY problem.

At the college level, this is also expected. I don't need a white knight to come to my rescue as I am an adult. If by me standing in my "reporting" area and trying to address the situation doesn't work the coach will most likely be done. It would take the coach to have approached my position, spoken loudly so multiple folks can hear what is said, and for them to have (a) said something not so nice and/or (b) not followed any requests I made (i.e. return to your bench please).

If a partner does want to walk a coach back, that's fine. But I'm not going to saddle, or expect, my partner to handle my issue and just report, turn an run. In the end my philosophy is we punish the coach's behavior, not feel guilty for doing our job.

I sure as hell won't approach the coach's bench, if I do step towards the coach it's because they are far out on the court and I'm returning them to their bench.

It irks me when a partner calls a T and the coach is laying into my partner and they just report, turn and run. Hey you called the T, if he needs a quick explanation, give it to him. If he doesn't then try like an adult to resolve the situation. If that fails toss him. Partners are there to help, not do my job.

I don't remember if you work college men or college women, so it is possible you are expected to stay table side. However, I can tell you this is not the expectation or the accepted practice in NCAA-M. The expectation is that you report your foul and go opposite. You don't have to run away from the coach, but there is absolutely no need to stay table side for a direct technical foul called on the head coach. He doesn't need an explanation, he already knows exactly what he did or said to earn the technical foul.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I don't remember if you work college men or college women, so it is possible you are expected to stay table side. However, I can tell you this is not the expectation or the accepted practice in NCAA-M. The expectation is that you report your foul and go opposite. You don't have to run away from the coach, but there is absolutely no need to stay table side for a direct technical foul called on the head coach. He doesn't need an explanation, he already knows exactly what he did or said to earn the technical foul.
I do NCAA-M. And I didn't say you have to stay. I said if a coach is going on at you, to not just walk away. I was at a D1 camp and my partner made a call, goes to report and the coach goes ballistic. He T's him up, and the coach steps about 3-4 more feet onto the court to berate my partner.

My thinking, "hey good time to help" goes to help and the clinician yelled at me to get back and let my partner deal with the situation.

Partner ended up tossing the coach. After the game the clinician said, and I don't remember his name, but he's a final 4 official, something along the lines of. If you T up a coach and they continue into you it's your responsibility to deal with that coach. Don't go into his bench area, or huddle, but if hes out after you deal with it.

I completely agree. In most cases you report and leave as the coach will do their usual mumbling so you go away.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:39am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I do NCAA-M. And I didn't say you have to stay. I said if a coach is going on at you, to not just walk away. I was at a D1 camp and my partner made a call, goes to report and the coach goes ballistic. He T's him up, and the coach steps about 3-4 more feet onto the court to berate my partner.

My thinking, "hey good time to help" goes to help and the clinician yelled at me to get back and let my partner deal with the situation.

Partner ended up tossing the coach. After the game the clinician said, and I don't remember his name, but he's a final 4 official, something along the lines of. If you T up a coach and they continue into you it's your responsibility to deal with that coach. Don't go into his bench area, or huddle, but if hes out after you deal with it.

I completely agree. In most cases you report and leave as the coach will do their usual mumbling so you go away.

Dealing with a coach who continues to act like an ass, after you have already given him a T, most likely by giving him another T, is something that you absolutely should do. However, it is not the same as staying in the reporting area to offer a coach an explanation for the first T. The latter is something that should never be done.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'll never understand why officials feel the need to "go to the table" after clearly and unambiguously whacking a head coach.