The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Iowa State/Baylor - Video request x2 (Clips Added)

1. About the 57 second mark in the first half. Called a block against ISU and the basket counted.

2. 15:27 mark in second half. Dunk by ISU player with a technical to follow.

Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2014, 09:50pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
1. About the 57 second mark in the first half. Called a block against ISU and the basket counted.

2. 15:27 mark in second half. Dunk by ISU player with a technical to follow.

Thanks.
About #2...I've seen much more blatant let go.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 12:31am
AremRed

You can browse the video here.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
About #2...I've seen much more blatant let go.
Kind of what I was thinking.

On the block/charge: This play is why I hate the new rule. The officials default to a block on anything close and it really punishes the defense. I think this play was a charge even under the new rules.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 01:19am
Courageous When Prudent

I have a PC on the first play, defender was there before A1 even got the ball.

And I'm passing on the hanging on the rim T.

IMHO
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I have a PC on the first play, defender was there before A1 even got the ball.

And I'm passing on the hanging on the rim T.

IMHO
I agree with BNR on both plays.

Also, I thought that the 2 remaining officials did a commendable job in the portions that I watched. I especially liked how the L moved to get an angle on post play with the ball, and then would rotate back. I did that a couple of times last night in myself.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

#1 close but by the NCAA's new standards, he was certainly not there in time. He was still shifting to his left as the shooter was leaving the court. He only stopped moving left just after the shooter jump. It wasn't by much but it was there. This would even be a block in HS.

#2. I'm passing on that one.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#1 close but by the NCAA's new standards, he was certainly not there in time. He was still shifting to his left as the shooter was leaving the court. He only stopped moving left just after the shooter jump. It wasn't by much but it was there. This would even be a block in HS.

#2. I'm passing on that one.
Another example of how good officials can see the same action and disagree on the proper decisions. I have great respect for Camron, but my thoughts are as follows:

1. NFHS that's a PC. He has obtained ILGP prior to both feet of the offensive player leaving the court. NCAA it's super close. Given the new standard and how the instruction has been to call more blocking fouls, I would lean that way. I also believe that the contact being only on the left side of the defender's torso probably unduly influences the decision as it gives the impression that the defender was late in getting to his required spot.

2. The player clearly decided to hang around an extra second with no one under him. The official enforced the rule exactly as written. Unfortunately, this is not the norm and people aren't used to seeing this call made except in extreme situations. I put the T in the "correct call" column.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Another example of how good officials can see the same action and disagree on the proper decisions. I have great respect for Camron, but my thoughts are as follows:

1. NFHS that's a PC. He has obtained ILGP prior to both feet of the offensive player leaving the court. NCAA it's super close. Given the new standard and how the instruction has been to call more blocking fouls, I would lean that way. I also believe that the contact being only on the left side of the defender's torso probably unduly influences the decision as it gives the impression that the defender was late in getting to his required spot.

2. The player clearly decided to hang around an extra second with no one under him. The official enforced the rule exactly as written. Unfortunately, this is not the norm and people aren't used to seeing this call made except in extreme situations. I put the T in the "correct call" column.
#1. I felt he had LGP but the shooter was going to slip to the side and the defender slid over just a little more after the shooter was up....watch the defender's right foot slide in even after the shooter is airborne bringing the torso a bit more to the left into the shooter and causing more contact than their otherwise would have been.

#2. My first inclination on the hang was actually a T. However, after looking at it more closely, I decided there was enough uncertainty about it to warrant a T...not just the players underhim but the appearance of him just being wildly off balance more than showboating.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 05:41pm.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Camron on both.

On the hang, the official might have anticipated it a bit -- when the legs went "up" the second time, it looked like the player was going to chin himself -- but I think he was still regaining his balance.

Maybe the player did something before to lose the benefit of the doubt.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:33am
Often wrong never n doubt

Although it is never called like this but why are Dunkers consistently allowed to grasp the rim at all. In a lot of cases if the never wrap their hands around the rim and merely stuff the ball through there is no one around them. It is the momentary grasp which is always permitted which then allows the defense to get close enough that the play then needs to hang from the rim. In the above example there is no safety reason as to why he needs to grasp the rim at all and especially not bring his knees up while doing it.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Although it is never called like this but why are Dunkers consistently allowed to grasp the rim at all. In a lot of cases if the never wrap their hands around the rim and merely stuff the ball through there is no one around them. It is the momentary grasp which is always permitted which then allows the defense to get close enough that the play then needs to hang from the rim. In the above example there is no safety reason as to why he needs to grasp the rim at all and especially not bring his knees up while doing it.
Good point. If he would have just thrown it down and been done with it he could have made a fairly normal, balanced landing. Instead, he chose to grasp the rim (with no defender around) putting himself in a difficult position. No doubt this is a borderline call with veteran officials here having different opinions as Nevada indicated. All I know is we had two similar plays as this one only minutes apart by the same team last week. We nailed both of them. If we had passed on the first it would have made it a little harder if we had to get the second especially if it were on the opposing team. We left the gym with no regrets but I know for sure, if we passed on the first and had to get the second, we would have felt we should have got the first one as well.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
When you dunk with 2 hands on a 1 foot, running take-off, you tend to lose your balance. You're flying through the air and having both hands above your head takes your center of balance.

If you notice, almost all "hanging on the rim" discussions involve a 2-handed dunk, jumping off one foot.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 03:38pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When you dunk with 2 hands on a 1 foot, running take-off, you tend to lose your balance. You're flying through the air and having both hands above your head takes your center of balance.

If you notice, almost all "hanging on the rim" discussions involve a 2-handed dunk, jumping off one foot.
Only bc they choose to power it home. I have seen many drop it through without grabbing the rim. I'm not even saying that there is anything wrong with the way it is being called key that players could go without grasping the rim in most instances.