The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAAW Baylor/Oregon State: Kim Mulkey behavior (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101196-ncaaw-baylor-oregon-state-kim-mulkey-behavior.html)

bballref3966 Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:49pm

NCAAW Baylor/Oregon State: Kim Mulkey behavior

Mulkey throws her jacket into the stands in the second quarter, 4:35. The C from across the court whacks her with enthusiasm.

Last minute of the game, 57-all, foul called against Baylor. Mulkey waves off the calling official and says "bulls*it" multiple times. Regardless of time and score, would you toss her for that reaction?

just another ref Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:49pm

Never saw any coach, anywhere, who has such a pained expression pretty much all the time. Two calls down the stretch that stirred her up. I didn't see a big debate on either one.

Referee24.7 Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:00am

Just remember when she's doing that (and she does it a lot and the majority of the time), it just has to be something that the tape is going to justify at the end of it all. . .

The problem is with her and its a lot like Sean Miller of Arizona - they don't get T'd enough and at times, although its oblivious and unintentional on our parts as stripes - what we permit, we promote. . .

JRutledge Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:36am

Good times (Video)....Good Times!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X1GP-PznUY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Referee24.7 Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:41am

I like the no-call - I mean, really, what did the defender do?

Nina Davis is barely 115 lbs, so she goes into a defender and bounces off here and where is the defender responsible for the contact?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 29, 2016 06:01am

Yes, I have absolutely no problem with the C getting this T, even though I think the T also should have seen it and been putting whistle in her whistle for a T. What concerns me more is that neither of his partners took care of business after the T. Neither one of them made any real effort to keep her in her Coaching Box (for our new officials it is the Coaching Box and not the Coach's Box) and away from the official who whacked her. She did enough after the first T go be given a free ride to the locker room for the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.

JetMetFan Tue Mar 29, 2016 06:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Referee24.7 (Post 985451)
Just remember when she's doing that (and she does it a lot and the majority of the time), it just has to be something that the tape is going to justify at the end of it all. . .

The problem is with her and its a lot like Sean Miller of Arizona - they don't get T'd enough and at times, although its oblivious and unintentional on our parts as stripes - what we permit, we promote. . .

It isn't as though Mulkey doesn't get technical fouls, that's for sure. She does get her money's worth, I'll give her that.

Altor Tue Mar 29, 2016 07:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 985459)
She did enough after the first T go be given a free ride to the locker room for the rest of the game.

This was my thought too. The staredown and the words as he's reporting...she needed to go.

ballgame99 Tue Mar 29, 2016 08:18am

I must have turned the channel right before this happened. I can tell you that for most of the first quarter and the start of the second she was non-stop yapping at the officials. So this wasn't some out of the blue reaction. She seems like one of those coaches that is just exhausting to have to deal with.

On the play, the bigger girl may have come over and bumped her a little, but the offensive player created the majority of that contact, hence the no-call. Great whack by the C, and he needed some backup from his partners while reporting. Get her out of his face.

Rich Tue Mar 29, 2016 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 985471)
I must have turned the channel right before this happened. I can tell you that for most of the first quarter and the start of the second she was non-stop yapping at the officials. So this wasn't some out of the blue reaction. She seems like one of those coaches that is just exhausting to have to deal with.

Same sh!t, different year.

Mulkey's jacket has its own Twitter feed now.

JRutledge Tue Mar 29, 2016 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 985472)
Same sh!t, different year.

Mulkey's jacket has its own Twitter feed now.

Kim's Jacket

Social media is a fun place.

AremRed Tue Mar 29, 2016 09:36am

Whack, get out.

Partners let the calling official down big time.

bballref3966 Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:31am

Thanks JRut! Can we get the clip of her reaction to the call in the last minute of the fourth quarter, when you get the chance?

Rich Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 985476)
Whack, get out.

Partners let the calling official down big time.

Easy for you to say.

Ejecting a coach in any game, let alone a game with this much visibility, requires a lot more than what Mulkey did during that sequence. That post-technical reaction wouldn't get her tossed from my HS game.

And I am not a fan of Mulkey at all. I think that perhaps if she got a few more technicals during the season she might not act like this seemingly every NCAA tournament when things aren't going her way.

Pantherdreams Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:24am

I just don't get what is and isn't deserving of a technical when I watch NCAA games any more.

The coach in this case gets teched up for throwing an article of her own clothing behind her bench. I know what she did and why she is doing it so I'm ok with officials T'ing her up.

But post T she gets to foot stomp and blister the reporting official, then for the rest of the game continue to gripe. Then late wave people off curse and complain. . .