The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 08:01pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
For those of you that think this isn't a foul (and assuming you are officials), I would like to say thank you. It's because of judgement like that I have gotten where I have and continue to get better games and move up.

Keep doing what you are doing.

IF you are not an official, then that's good, because you would be wrong.

Considering this type of contact happens in a lot of NCAA games and IS NOT always called a foul, I don't see the logic in your statement. It is a foul, but not one that is always called.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 08:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Considering this type of contact happens in a lot of NCAA games and IS NOT always called a foul, I don't see the logic in your statement. It is a foul, but not one that is always called.
I am sorry but I do not see many plays like this not called a foul. Are there plays with a lot of contact not called a foul? Sure, but not like this that I can say "a lot" by any means. There are plays that are close that might not be called, but not many like this I can point to. Now if you have some video evidence of similar plays then I am all good with that one, but I doubt the "a lot" statement you made is very accurate. It also does not matter if it is or isn't called, the issue is should it be called? Yes, it should be called and kind of the point of his post I would think. I know a lot of officials that try to wiggle their way out of not calling things and they are not considered for certain situations for that reason.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 08:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Is it possible that some would consider this the same as two players chasing a loose ball from different directions that meet in the middle? That can easily be a no call, even if one goes flying. (Don't penalize a player for being big.) But, in this case, a stationary guy has his feet taken out from under him with a crucial possession at stake. How could it not be a foul?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I watch a lot of NCAA games and don't see this contact anywhere near "a lot." And when I do, it's rarely passed on, and I surely wouldn't pass on it if I were the covering official.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes you do when that kid takes out another kid that legally got to his spot on the floor. Just cause you dive does not absolve you from contacting a legal player.

This a foul every day and twice on Easter Sunday.

Peace

Amen!!!
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Called earlier in this game on Archidiacano

Arch dove for a loose ball near midcourt early in the first half and was called for a foul as he took out the Kansas players legs in diving to get the ball. I remember thinking - great hustle, but stupid foul - unless he thought "they don't call those fouls in this game..."
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can you back this up, because from games I have watched and officiated this gets called.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
I too, agree this is a foul. However, it appears that C was very content to 'play on', and I think everyone would agree that C has the best angle for this play. If T doesn't have a whistle, looks like it might have been a 'play on' scenario.

Will never know for sure, just my observation.....
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 11:20am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Can you back this up, because from games I have watched and officiated this gets called.

Ok. Let's break this down:

You say thanks to the officials who don't call this bc that is how you have moved up and hit a better schedule.

I said I didn't see logic there bc to me those two things would not be exclusive, mainly bc I see this not called. I said a lot, which may have been a stretch but it does happen and is not always called, which was my point.

Now several others and you have said it is called and doesn't happen a lot.

It can't be both. It's either called or not. My take was on your post that others not calling it is why you have moved up and gotten better games. Just sounded very snide the way your post came off.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 12:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

It can't be both. It's either called or not. My take was on your post that others not calling it is why you have moved up and gotten better games. Just sounded very snide the way your post came off.
I have seen this called several times. Now does that mean plays like this happen "a lot" as you suggested, that would be overstated IMO. But when I have seen players jump on top go guys or displace them in a scrum, I have seen fouls called on "similar" plays. I rarely see nothing called in these situations.

Yes there was a time we just kind of allowed players to do all kinds of things during a loose ball, but since there have been a lot of video and access to the NCAA sharing their positions, those days are gone. No more VHS tape that you only saw at and NCAA meeting. I would even bet that this play comes up in the NCAA video in the future as an example of a foul that should be called. Just because people did not call it, does not make it right. A lot of officials would pass on obvious "intentional" or "flagrant" fouls, but now it is expected we call more of these in this day and age. With all this focus on head injuries and other dangerous play situations, I think we are in a different era than we once were.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMrRef View Post
Arch dove for a loose ball near midcourt early in the first half and was called for a foul as he took out the Kansas players legs in diving to get the ball. I remember thinking - great hustle, but stupid foul - unless he thought "they don't call those fouls in this game..."
@Jrutledge, can we get a video of this play from earlier in the game?
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You say thanks to the officials who don't call this bc that is how you have moved up and hit a better schedule.

I said I didn't see logic there bc to me those two things would not be exclusive, mainly bc I see this not called. I said a lot, which may have been a stretch but it does happen and is not always called, which was my point.

I see fouls and violations not called too. This is blatant, and ya we can miss it here and there. But if your stance is you don't see a foul, then I am thanking you. It's one less rung above me.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 01:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I said I didn't see logic there
Stop right there. This is your break down. deecee's post wasn't meant to be taken logically or seriously, not literally anyway.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 01:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I too, agree this is a foul. However, it appears that C was very content to 'play on', and I think everyone would agree that C has the best angle for this play. If T doesn't have a whistle, looks like it might have been a 'play on' scenario.

Will never know for sure, just my observation.....
I said this in the facebook discussion, but if the T hadn't come to get this, we'd still be discussing this play as one where the C missed it and the T missed a chance to save the crew in transition.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Stop right there. This is your break down. deecee's post wasn't meant to be taken logically or seriously, not literally anyway.
Ruining all the fun