The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Nova-Kansas 34.1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101187-nova-kansas-34-1-a.html)

ODog Sat Mar 26, 2016 09:55pm

Nova-Kansas 34.1

Tripping foul called on sliding Kansas player who upends stationary defender while sliding toward loose ball.

I understand the rationale and its basis, just wondering who here would get this at this stage of this type of game?

At least they got the TC part of it right, eventually.

jpgc99 Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 985308)
Tripping foul called on sliding Kansas player who upends stationary defender while sliding toward loose ball.

I understand the rationale and its basis, just wondering who here would get this at this stage of this type of game?

At least they got the TC part of it right, eventually.

Time and score should be irrelevant to whether or not a foul has occurred.

SNIPERBBB Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:07pm

I dont know how you cannot get this, despite the announcers as usual.

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:10pm

I am not going to contend with a seasoned Elite Eight official's judgment in this case.

The rule is the rule (a player is entitled to his spot on the court provided he gets there first), and as the sideline reporter pointed out not long before this, Bill Self told his players to bust it for every loose ball. This coaching dictum carries risk. See Exhibit A.

I'm sure all three officials knew who fouled and who was fouled, but I loved how they pretended to be unsure so that they could confirm whether or not this was a TC foul. Well done.

jpgc99 Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 985311)
I am not going to contend with a seasoned Elite Eight official's judgment in this case.

The rule is the rule (a player is entitled to his spot on the court provided he gets there first), and as the sideline reporter pointed out not long before this, Bill Self told his players to bust it for every loose ball. This coaching dictum carries risk. See Exhibit A.

I'm sure all three officials knew who fouled and who was fouled, but I loved how they pretended to be unsure so that they could confirm whether or not this was a TC foul. Well done.

You know Im not one to criticize these guys, but I think they should have been able to get the team control correct without going to the monitor.

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 985312)
You know Im not one to criticize these guys, but I think they should have been able to get the team control correct without going to the monitor.

I think they eventually would have because they huddled before they first went to the monitor. But in this situation, with a confirmation tool at their disposal, why not use it in this very critical situation?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:16pm

I have been a Jay Hawk fan from birth (my mom is Class of 1942), and I would have made that call.

MTD, Sr.

thedewed Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:16pm

A horrible call. Whether DG had control of the ball didn't matter, because Nova never got control, so was still in team control. So you penalize a kid for diving for a loose ball who gets there first, while the foulee doesn't even go to the ground to recover? Terrible call, sorry.

JRutledge Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:18pm

Here is the video...

This is a foul. I do not even know how this is a debate?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lu6p-rklbC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

SNIPERBBB Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 985316)
This is a foul. I do not even know how this is a debate?

Peace

From the stands, and announcers, "But it was a LOOSE BALL!"

JRutledge Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 985317)
From the stands, and announcers, "But it was a LOOSE BALL!"

And that is why we do not listen to them.

Peace

JRutledge Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 985315)
A horrible call. Whether DG had control of the ball didn't matter, because Nova never got control, so was still in team control. So you penalize a kid for diving for a loose ball who gets there first, while the foulee doesn't even go to the ground to recover? Terrible call, sorry.

Yes you do when that kid takes out another kid that legally got to his spot on the floor. Just cause you dive does not absolve you from contacting a legal player.

This a foul every day and twice on Easter Sunday. ;)

Peace

MechanicGuy Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 985315)

So, removing the diving from the equation....Graham runs down a loose ball and then immediately runs over a stationary, legal defender. Still a bad call?
Labeling it as "penalizing hustle" is an egregious mischaracterizing of the rule.

SNIPERBBB Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:33pm

There was a big emphasis at the high school level a few years back to make these calls. Players were acting like it was a license to kill if the ball was loose and bodies were going to the floor.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 985311)
I loved how they pretended to be unsure so that they could confirm whether or not this was a TC foul. Well done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 985312)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 985313)
I think they eventually would have because they huddled before they first went to the monitor. But in this situation, with a confirmation tool at their disposal, why not use it in this very critical situation?

What makes you think they went to the monitor to determine whether it was a TC foul, especially since it isn't allowed by rule? There are too many people sitting at the scorer's table and too many microphones around for a crew in a regional final to go to the monitor for an unauthorized reason.