The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Next year's points of emphasis--NCAAM

With the tournament winding down, what are some things you'd like to see next season as points of emphasis in college ball?

1. Bench decorum. Inspired by Monmouth. It was fun at first, but now it's just obnoxious and social media hasn't helped at all. Stand up, clap for your teammate who just threw down that monster jam, and sit back down. Please.

2. Continued enforcement of calling fouls on defenders (particularly big men) who bump ballhandlers coming off of screens.

3. Palming violations (not likely, but a man can dream).
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 03:41pm
High Five Master

I don't work college and don't know how y'all who do actually view it but I'm a lil tired of kids seeming to question officials on calls. I love Duke but it seems to me, and don't go off about anything else but this, Grayson Allen seems to jabber a lot at refs. Maybe it just looks like it is problematic from my couch but it bugs me something fierce when a HS kid questions every call. They don't like the consequences for doing so either
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I don't work college and don't know how y'all who do actually view it but I'm a lil tired of kids seeming to question officials on calls. I love Duke but it seems to me, and don't go off about anything else but this, Grayson Allen seems to jabber a lot at refs. Maybe it just looks like it is problematic from my couch but it bugs me something fierce when a HS kid questions every call. They don't like the consequences for doing so either
This is actually always addressed, however officials do a piss poor job of enforcement. I rarely even see a warning given to a player. On an average varsity or Juco game I warn at least one player that he has reached his limit. I also let my partners know right away.

If it's a player that I see getting on the verge of being a pain in the ass I let the coach know that he's teetering on thin ice. IF it's a team that has many kids I don't have the patience to warn them all. Maybe the first 2 get a warning after that the whistle speaks.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
With the tournament winding down, what are some things you'd like to see next season as points of emphasis in college ball?

1. Bench decorum. Inspired by Monmouth. It was fun at first, but now it's just obnoxious and social media hasn't helped at all. Stand up, clap for your teammate who just threw down that monster jam, and sit back down. Please.
Is that Goose Gossage behind that keyboard?!?

In all seriousness, I see your point, however, I have to ask...who exactly are the bench players hurting by celebrating? Are their celebrations unsporting? In my opinion, if they ask officials to stop the game to deal with bench decorum after a huge dunk, officials will become even more of the "bad guy" than they already are in the eyes of everyone but other officials.

Officials have bigger fish to fry, like getting down the floor to officiate the break going the other way.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Is that Goose Gossage behind that keyboard?!?

In all seriousness, I see your point, however, I have to ask...who exactly are the bench players hurting by celebrating? Are their celebrations unsporting? In my opinion, if they ask officials to stop the game to deal with bench decorum after a huge dunk, officials will become even more of the "bad guy" than they already are in the eyes of everyone but other officials.

Officials have bigger fish to fry, like getting down the floor to officiate the break going the other way.
Because doesn't the rulebook say that bench personnel are allowed to stand up to applaud a good play but then immediately sit back down? That doesn't happen anymore. Everyone's faking heart attacks or pretending to reel in a giant fish.

I don't have my book handy. What's the actual wording or rule reference?

Last edited by RedAndWhiteRef; Tue Mar 29, 2016 at 07:59am.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I add to this list:

- emphasis on the use of the euro-step (or versions there of) vs. traveling (i know Rich will love this one)

- possible revert of the closely guarded rule, its been noticeable that during the last 2 minutes of the game, it has made it a lot easier to run down the shot clock.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

For what its worth and its probably not even 2 cents:

- The natural progression is: IF you are going to clean up freedom of movement for the offense (check), then ensure the offense that is now not impeded moves legally. I would say an increased attention to screening, or blur screens or even footwork on the take off.

- The running of clock is just sad I think if they eventually reduce the shot clock to FIBA/NBA levels you will see that disappear even more.

- RA seems to cause more problems for officials then it solves. Teams aren't stopping trying to take the spot under the rim/driver/shooter, they just try to get higher and if they don't too bad they are still going to allow a train wreck. I don't see many games of importance where on the way to the hoop the defender goes I'm not going to get there I better get out of the way.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Because doesn't the rulebook say that bench personnel are allowed to stand up to applaud a good play but then immediately sit back down? That doesn't happen anymore. Everyone's faking heart attacks or pretending to reel in a giant fish.

I don't have my book handy. What's the actual wording or rule reference?
Though I can't quote the college rule specifically...for the moment I'm pretty sure it doesn't specifically outlaw choreographed celebrations (like the NFL does). I can see why these celebrations rub people the wrong way and why some would like to see them curtailed...but to me it doesn't make a difference. So long as the celebrations aren't unsporting, no need to penalize.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Though I can't quote the college rule specifically...for the moment I'm pretty sure it doesn't specifically outlaw choreographed celebrations (like the NFL does). I can see why these celebrations rub people the wrong way and why some would like to see them curtailed...but to me it doesn't make a difference. So long as the celebrations aren't unsporting, no need to penalize.
Here's the wording...

All bench personnel shall remain seated on the bench while the ball is live, except...to spontaneously react to an outstanding play, immediately sitting down on the bench afterwards.

As it's phrased now a team could receive a bench technical because the Monmouth-esqe response isn't really spontaneous and the players don't sit down immediately. However, I'm sure those that make the rules also realize this is entertainment.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)