The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

It was a correct call, but the Kansas player was fouled on his dribble, which was why he lost control of the ball in the first place.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I am not going to contend with a seasoned Elite Eight official's judgment in this case.

The rule is the rule (a player is entitled to his spot on the court provided he gets there first), and as the sideline reporter pointed out not long before this, Bill Self told his players to bust it for every loose ball. This coaching dictum carries risk. See Exhibit A.

I'm sure all three officials knew who fouled and who was fouled, but I loved how they pretended to be unsure so that they could confirm whether or not this was a TC foul. Well done.
I don't think they were deceptive, but I wouldn't cheer them off I did.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 11:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
A horrible call. Whether DG had control of the ball didn't matter, because Nova never got control, so was still in team control. So you penalize a kid for diving for a loose ball who gets there first, while the foulee doesn't even go to the ground to recover? Terrible call, sorry.
This call should be made every time. You can't take a player's legs out just because you dove for a "lose ball". Diving and sliding may be immune from a travel, but the defender was still in position to retrieve that ball and Kansas took his legs out. If he did that from behind, you wouldn't question it, but the rule is the same.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Watching the replay I can see why they would have looked to determine if this was a TC foul or not. It is pretty close on the 'Nova player having possession of the ball when the contact is made that ultimately results in the Kansas player regaining control (and getting the foul call).

This was the correct call on the play. Given the importance of the game and the time of the game.

I did not watch the game. What did they finally rule, TC or not TC on the play. When making the initial call the calling official clearly indicates a 1 and 1 for 'Nova on this play.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 12:09am
Do not give a damn!!

If you look at the video, it appears the official says immediately this is a 1 and 1. Then the officials get together and rule it was a TC foul. They even went to the monitor which I believe was to give them time to discuss the situation (just a hunch).

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It was a correct call, but the Kansas player was fouled on his dribble, which was why he lost control of the ball in the first place.
That was my thought - he got fouled by both Nova players.

Which official made the call? If he and Doug Sirmons from the Gonzaga game aren't working next weekend, we'll perhaps know why.

Oh - and hi everyone after like two years without posting
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
That was my thought - he got fouled by both Nova players.

Which official made the call? If he and Doug Sirmons from the Gonzaga game aren't working next weekend, we'll perhaps know why.

Oh - and hi everyone after like two years without posting
My first thought was he was fouled before losing control, but when you watch in slow mo, the guy to his right does not make contact, or if there is contact it is very slight contact and was after he pushed the ball forward. The defender to his left does make some contact with the Kansas player, but it is after he had already knocked the ball forward and that contact also was slight contact.

In real time speed I am shocked the officials did not call a foul on Villanova for the first contact, but in my opinion they clearly got that call correct as well.

The simple fact is the Kansas player is the one who lost control and it was not caused by contact from an opponent.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually he wasn't. In real time it looks like he was, however upon slow motion review neither player has contact that is either significant or impacted the loss of control by the Kansas player. I am shocked it was not called, but they got the call correct on all fronts.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This call should be made every time. You can't take a player's legs out just because you dove for a "lose ball". Diving and sliding may be immune from a travel, but the defender was still in position to retrieve that ball and Kansas took his legs out. If he did that from behind, you wouldn't question it, but the rule is the same.
Agreed. It would be a rough night for a crew who let this "slide by" without a call
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 07:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
A horrible call. Whether DG had control of the ball didn't matter, because Nova never got control, so was still in team control. So you penalize a kid for diving for a loose ball who gets there first, while the foulee doesn't even go to the ground to recover? Terrible call, sorry.
As far as officiating is concerned, what does the bolded part mean? The Villanova player bent over to get the ball, touched the ball first, and ended up on the ground due to the contact from Graham.

Also, how does Graham get to the spot first if the Villanova player was already standing there?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Easy call. No slide tackles allowed. I was also surprised it took them so long to determine it was a team control foul but they got there which is all that matters.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the other game yesterday for a few minutes and saw a similar play NOT called. I was more surprised at the no call than I was at this call, seeing it here.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you look at the video, it appears the official says immediately this is a 1 and 1. Then the officials get together and rule it was a TC foul. They even went to the monitor which I believe was to give them time to discuss the situation (just a hunch).
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I was also surprised it took them so long to determine it was a team control foul but they got there which is all that matters.
I didn't mean to imply earlier that the officials were being deceptive in their monitor use. Plain and simple, they had a confirmation tool at their disposal, and the calling official initially signaled 1-and-1. Critical juncture, so why not buy some time by confirming the fouler/foulee and getting the penalty administration 100% correct in the process? I think most assignors would applaud a liberal application of monitor utility in this case.

PA coach, you'd be surprised how easy it is to forget to consider TC on loose ball fouls in bonus situations. For some reason we officials often seem rushed to go shoot free throws before confirming whether the opposing team had gained control. All the more reason to slow down, reconstruct the play in our head, and talk to our partners if necessary. I never get upset with a coach who asks me to consider TC in a bonus situation; it's a fair question. Unfortunately, most coaches don't have the rules knowledge or presence of mind to make this appeal.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 07:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I didn't mean to imply earlier that the officials were being deceptive in their monitor use. Plain and simple, they had a confirmation tool at their disposal, and the calling official initially signaled 1-and-1. Critical juncture, so why not buy some time by confirming the fouler/foulee and getting the penalty administration 100% correct in the process? I think most assignors would applaud a liberal application of monitor utility in this case.

PA coach, you'd be surprised how easy it is to forget to consider TC on loose ball fouls in bonus situations. For some reason we officials often seem rushed to go shoot free throws before confirming whether the opposing team had gained control. All the more reason to slow down, reconstruct the play in our head, and talk to our partners if necessary. I never get upset with a coach who asks me to consider TC in a bonus situation; it's a fair question. Unfortunately, most coaches don't have the rules knowledge or presence of mind to make this appeal.
They could have legitimately lost the potential shooter or fouled player. Again the calling officials signaled 1 and 1 immediately. If a partner comes to him, he might have not been sure who he fouled if there was any doubt.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

For those of you that think this isn't a foul (and assuming you are officials), I would like to say thank you. It's because of judgement like that I have gotten where I have and continue to get better games and move up.

Keep doing what you are doing.

IF you are not an official, then that's good, because you would be wrong.