The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Jake Layman.....T or not ???? And don't forget the double dribble

Do you agree with the T.....I personally think he double dribbles first. Spent 5 1/2 years in College Park....AHHHHH wish the Vous was still around.....
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:27pm
High Five Master

I saw this one on TV. Yes it was an illegal dribble but unless the new L is the Flash, no way he can get there to see it. And it was a good T imo. When will players learn you can't hang on the ring like that?
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

It was certainly a missed double dribble...
And it was a incorrect T - you are allowed to hang onto the rim if your momentum in completing the dunk swings you off balance. IF you pull yourself up - WHACK! That did not happen here.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 08:58am
High Five Master

He swung himself off balance to showboat.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 10:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
It was certainly a missed double dribble...

And it was a incorrect T - you are allowed to hang onto the rim if your momentum in completing the dunk swings you off balance. IF you pull yourself up - WHACK! That did not happen here.

You may wish to read the actual rule. Actually, you probably don't care.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You may wish to read the actual rule. Actually, you probably don't care.
OR...he's not actually an official and doesn't know what the rule book looks like.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 10, Section 4. CLASS B TECHNICAL INFRACTIONS
Art. 1. A technical foul shall be assessed to a player or a substitute for the
following infractions:

e. Grasping either basket in an excessive, emphatic manner during the
officials’ jurisdiction when the player is not, in the judgment of an
official, trying to prevent an obvious injury to self or others.
In this fastbreak situation, the MD player does not know if another KU defender is coming from behind to block the shot. The MD player goes up to the goal strong, dunks it with 2-hands, and his momentum swings him forward.

IMO, the MD player needs to be given a chance to get his body vertical to land on the court on his 2 feet without injuring himself; only he would know what his body is capable to land safely. He didn't "chin-up", lift his knees emphatically, or rock back & forth multiple times; his arms stayed extended through one swing "to prevent an obvious injury to self or others."
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
In this fastbreak situation, the MD player does not know if another KU defender is coming from behind to block the shot. The MD player goes up to the goal strong, dunks it with 2-hands, and his momentum swings him forward.

IMO, the MD player needs to be given a chance to get his body vertical to land on the court on his 2 feet without injuring himself; only he would know what his body is capable to land safely. He didn't "chin-up", lift his knees emphatically, or rock back & forth multiple times; his arms stayed extended through one swing "to prevent an obvious injury to self or others."
His decision to hang on the rim and swing his legs up is what creates a potential danger. If he simply dunked the ball and let go of the rim, his body would never become parallel to the floor creating the potential danger.

I agree with the technical foul here.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post

He looks right, then looks over his left shoulder because he didn't know if anyone had come up behind him there. Then he comes down.

The key word in the rule is "judgment" as it pertains to what is excessive and emphatic, and that's even assuming the official was 100% convinced he was not attempting to avoid injury to himself or others.

This incident was marginally excessive/emphatic, and I'm neither convinced now, nor was I convinced in real time, that the dunker wasn't trying to prevent injury to self or others.

I respectfully disagree with the call based on the wording of the rule.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
He looks right, then looks over his left shoulder because he didn't know if anyone had come up behind him there. Then he comes down.

The key word in the rule is "judgment" as it pertains to what is excessive and emphatic, and that's even assuming the official was 100% convinced he was not attempting to avoid injury to himself or others.

This incident was marginally excessive/emphatic, and I'm neither convinced now, nor was I convinced in real time, that the dunker wasn't trying to prevent injury to self or others.

I respectfully disagree with the call based on the wording of the rule.
I don't believe he was showboating....but devil's advocate here....If he simply dunks the ball and doesn't grasp the ring at all, none of this is an issue.

I can see both sides, but personally I didn't like the T here.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did not like the T for this reason and this reason only. We see that all the time and no one has said that is something that needs to be called. Otherwise I can live with it, but would like to know if that is the standard. I see that dunk all the time and no one even the opponent bats an eye. But the double dribble is something I understand why missed as it is a quick steal. it should have been called, but I bet it was no easily seen.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I did not like the T for this reason and this reason only. We see that all the time and no one has said that is something that needs to be called. Otherwise I can live with it, but would like to know if that is the standard. I see that dunk all the time and no one even the opponent bats an eye. But the double dribble is something I understand why missed as it is a quick steal. it should have been called, but I bet it was no easily seen.

Peace
I have to agree with JRutledge's point. Let it go or call it more often. If they don't grab the rim, then they don't have to swing. Simple
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 05:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We have to remember all these officials are being paid by someone else this time of year.
While conferences may not necessarily want this called in February, I'm guessing the NCAA wants it called in March. Hell, the NCAA probably wants it called in February, but they have more control now.

There's nothing about this dunk that tells me he was in danger of being injured if he hadn't hung on the rim to begin with.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 06:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

The problem for me is he didn't just drop straight down when he got steady. He twisted and held on with one hand before letting go.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 06:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
We have to remember all these officials are being paid by someone else this time of year.
While conferences may not necessarily want this called in February, I'm guessing the NCAA wants it called in March. Hell, the NCAA probably wants it called in February, but they have more control now.

There's nothing about this dunk that tells me he was in danger of being injured if he hadn't hung on the rim to begin with.
I agree with this and I do not think it is a horrible decision. I just would like something to support that decision more. It was certainly in the ball park, but it did not stand out as a "slam dunk" call if you get my drift (pun intended). I have not seen this kind of situation addressed in all the videos (I might have to review them again). It is certainly a 50/50 call at best.

Peace