The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Is this double dribble?

Bounce pass, a bit behind the offensive player, player reaches back and knocks the ball down to the floor in an attempt to control the ball, upon gaining control the player then begins to dribble, and is whistled for DD?

Can a player use the floor to gain control and have a dribble after gaining control?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 10:57am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
Bounce pass, a bit behind the offensive player, player reaches back and knocks the ball down to the floor in an attempt to control the ball, upon gaining control the player then begins to dribble, and is whistled for DD?

Can a player use the floor to gain control and have a dribble after gaining control?

Doesn't sound like an illegal dribble to me. A player cannot dribble if he does not have player control of the ball.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

There are usually several times each game where a player will use a bounce of the ball to secure control of it, most often when retrieving a loose ball, but sometimes when getting a handle on a bad pass too. As MTD said, there is no dribble if there is no control. Whether the player already had control during the bounce of gained control using the bounce is a judgment call. But most officials I've ever seen will err on the side of no control if in doubt.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Well then let me ask this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Doesn't sound like an illegal dribble to me. A player cannot dribble if he does not have player control of the ball.

MTD, Sr.
Saw this in a recent NBA game.

Player A1 has ball at the top of the key. Initiates dribble, then tries to terminate dribble by grabbing the ball with both hands. Ball slips through fingers... he has muffed it.

Defender sees the ball bouncing there and moves in to collect it. A1 seeing the defender coming towards it, taps it towards the floor (like a dribbling action) so that it bounces back away from the defender, then catches the ball.

My feeling is that this is a double violation. Player A1 terminated dribble, muffed it, but then made a controlling tap of the ball after that.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Saw this in a recent NBA game.

Player A1 has ball at the top of the key. Initiates dribble, then tries to terminate dribble by grabbing the ball with both hands. Ball slips through fingers... he has muffed it.

Defender sees the ball bouncing there and moves in to collect it. A1 seeing the defender coming towards it, taps it towards the floor (like a dribbling action) so that it bounces back away from the defender, then catches the ball.

My feeling is that this is a double violation. Player A1 terminated dribble, muffed it, but then made a controlling tap of the ball after that.
I can't sepak for the NBA rule, but for FED the phrase "it is not a dribble when a player bats the ball away from an opponent who is attempting to get it" (probably not exact since it's from memory) in 4-DRIBBLE would seem to imply that the play was legal.