The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 07:40pm
Stubborn Member

I probably would have passed on this, but I'm not up in arms over calling it either.

However, no player has to dunk the ball. Nor do they have to grasp the ring while doing so. If the player can't just dunk the ball then they shouldn't be doing it. Lay the ball in and get back on defense.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I look at this as an opposing player or coach. You dunk the ball, hang etc and u get two points. I or my players didn't stop u. If u hang on rim I don't care. U scored. I don't complain as opposing coach because it isn't a competitive advantage etc. now, if u shatter backboard and prolong game that's different.

Similarly, I don't like the assistant coaches in pre game saying other team dunked. As a player and coach and as an R, I tell those folks they will have to win game on floor. I never pushed that stuff and book errors as a player or coach and I don't like seeing others push it now. Old school I suppose.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

Similarly, I don't like the assistant coaches in pre game saying other team dunked. As a player and coach and as an R, I tell those folks they will have to win game on floor. I never pushed that stuff and book errors as a player or coach and I don't like seeing others push it now. Old school I suppose.
Which other rules do you ignore?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 11:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I look at this as an opposing player or coach. You dunk the ball, hang etc and u get two points. I or my players didn't stop u. If u hang on rim I don't care. U scored. I don't complain as opposing coach because it isn't a competitive advantage etc. now, if u shatter backboard and prolong game that's different.

The rules is there for a reason. I will enforce it as desired by the folks who control my assignments.

I understand your perspective as a coach, but as an official, I frankly don't care.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The problem for me is he didn't just drop straight down when he got steady. He twisted and held on with one hand before letting go.
This is why I believe the T was called and is correct, in my opinion. The players legs swung up as much as they did because he grabbed the rim. He didn't do a pull up but he did intentionally hang on the rim.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 07:00am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post

He never said he ignores any rule. He said he doesn't like when coaches or players try to get a cheap T on the other team. Esp if some asst wants a pregame T for dunking. If I didn't see it, it didn't happen, no matter what they say.

Contrary to sometimes popular opinion, an official can disagree with a rule but still enforce it.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
The ones where your asst coach/bench stands up, or yells 3 seconds

The official was wrong in this case. As a former player I have been in this situation before. Let go of rim, landed off balance and my head hit the floor. Concussion.

All these "automatic" / "directives" are ruining the game. Officials are not being allowed to use judgement and becoming part of the discussion on every play.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The rules is there for a reason. I will enforce it as desired by the folks who control my assignments.

I understand your perspective as a coach, but as an official, I frankly don't care.
Yes, I agree. My post was a ramble after a long, aggravating day with a chainsaw. Im probably a little more lenient with these calls but if you called it a T I wouldn't and couldn't say you were wrong. My ramble/rant wasn't really relevant to anything.

Well, I'm rambling again. Probably because I have to do battle with chainsaw again today....
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

There is a dunk at the 4:57 mark left in the 1st half tonight by Nova. Play appears basically identical with a little less swing but a rim pull down. Don't see a significant difference beyond the fact that No T was called.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 08:29pm
High Five Master

Looked like the Nova player thought he was getting one. He spun around with hands up but it was KU calling timeout.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
There is a dunk at the 4:57 mark left in the 1st half tonight by Nova. Play appears basically identical with a little less swing but a rim pull down. Don't see a significant difference beyond the fact that No T was called.
I thought the same thing.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Looked like the Nova player thought he was getting one. He spun around with hands up but it was KU calling timeout.
I thought he was getting one, too. Before I realized it was a timeout, I was thinking this most have been a tournament POE.

I think on this dunk you can make a case for the player not wanting to come down on the KU player. There is a defender in the area.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I think on this dunk you can make a case for the player not wanting to come down on the KU player. There is a defender in the area.
This.