The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:34pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just watched the video. In a high school game, I'm not even going to have a 5 second count because the clock will be running with under 5 seconds. In any stopped clock game, I'm doing exactly what these guys did.

Starting a count early here isn't doing anyone any good.


In a high school game, if the ball is unavailable, we should stop the clock while it's retrieved. In this play that wouldn't come into play because the basket is with 1.5 and about 3 seconds elapse before it rolls out of sight.

The key is what constitutes early.

This is the first time I recall seeing this issue discussed.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 06:28pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
In a high school game, if the ball is unavailable, we should stop the clock while it's retrieved. In this play that wouldn't come into play because the basket is with 1.5 and about 3 seconds elapse before it rolls out of sight.

The key is what constitutes early.

This is the first time I recall seeing this issue discussed.
By "early," I simply meant before the player grabbed the ball OOB. I will do this several times a season when players are wandering around. In this case, even if there were 15 seconds left, I'm probably just going to stop the clock and administer the T-I once it rolls out off the court.

If it didn't roll off the court, I'll probably let the new offense waste some time before I'd even consider starting a count.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just watched the video. In a high school game, I'm not even going to have a 5 second count because the clock will be running with under 5 seconds. In any stopped clock game, I'm doing exactly what these guys did.

Starting a count early here isn't doing anyone any good.
What he ^^^ said.



Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
When I posted the original question, I thought the ball was lying in plain sight the whole time. It wasn't. But from the reactions of everyone involved, I don't think it was ever not available. With all that in mind, I would have started a count when the first guy stepped out of bounds. I see nothing in the wording that makes that wrong. I also don't see whether the clock is running or stopped has anything to do with this rule. And I also don't know what a "deliberate" count is.
My question in terms of starting the count in the ND/SFA situation - and I would ask this after the game if we'd been working together - would be, "What's the rush?" The offense is in a lousy situation and the defense is getting a chance to set up. Nothing in the wording of the rule may make starting the count wrong but as BNR said supervisors aren't looking for "gotcha" officiating, especially in a situation where, in 0:01.5 of game time, one of the teams is about to see its season come to a crushing end. Sometimes there's a difference between being right and being reasonable. Heck, I think the next step before starting the count would've been for the new T to go get the ball and give it to the SFA player.



Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I also don't know what a "deliberate" count is.
Deliberate meaning if they're taking "forever" - or what feels like it - to pick up the ball, your five-second count becomes slow and exaggerated. That way if you really really have to call the violation, even Stevie Wonder in the last row can say, "Yeah, they took a long time to get the ball in. I get why they called it."
__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 01:09am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

My question in terms of starting the count in the ND/SFA situation - and I would ask this after the game if we'd been working together - would be, "What's the rush?" The offense is in a lousy situation and the defense is getting a chance to set up. .......one of the teams is about to see its season come to a crushing end.


As to the first part, it depends which side you're on. You say "What's the rush?" ND coach says "What took you so long?"

As for the rest of it, I don't see that any of these are our concern.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 06:32am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
As to the first part, it depends which side you're on. You say "What's the rush?" ND coach says "What took you so long?"
ND's coach is happy he got to set up a defense, he's not asking what took so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
As for the rest of it, I don't see that any of these are our concern.
It is if you have supervisors and NCAA regional observers who say it is. Since you don't work for any NCAA supervisors you can't really judge what is important to them, can you?
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 08:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
As to the first part, it depends which side you're on. You say "What's the rush?" ND coach says "What took you so long?"

As for the rest of it, I don't see that any of these are our concern.
Unfortunately the game is our concern. I used to think very black and white for all situations and have adjusted. Some are grey and you figure it out as you go.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 11:47am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post



It is if you have supervisors and NCAA regional observers who say it is. Since you don't work for any NCAA supervisors you can't really judge what is important to them, can you?

You're telling me your NCAA supervisor wants you to give the team who is about to absorb the crushing blow a few extra seconds to set up their half court heave?
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 11:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You're telling me your NCAA supervisor wants you to give the team who is about to absorb the crushing blow a few extra seconds to set up their half court heave?
He's telling you that you are the only one on this planet that cares.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 11:56am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You're telling me your NCAA supervisor wants you to give the team who is about to absorb the crushing blow a few extra seconds to set up their half court heave?
Have you not noticed you're the only one peeing into a stiff breeze here?
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You're telling me your NCAA supervisor wants you to give the team who is about to absorb the crushing blow a few extra seconds to set up their half court heave?
What he is telling you that you work only high school, what they do at the college level is not what you are asked to do at your level. Just like the other things you get you shorts all tied up about, this is one of those things.

This is not a moral issue, the clock is stopped and it it treated differently than a game you would work. Just like you try to defend what you do in your state, people are telling you what goes on at this level and you keep fighting the reality.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 12:45pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Not peeing into the wind. (This time) I asked the question. I'm told that's how it's handled. That's fine. The part about the team absorbing the defeat was brought up afterward. That's the part I still find unusual. But that's fine too. I'm done.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 01:35pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Not peeing into the wind. (This time) I asked the question. I'm told that's how it's handled. That's fine. The part about the team absorbing the defeat was brought up afterward. That's the part I still find unusual. But that's fine too. I'm done.
Also, I doubt I'd stop the clock in a HS game once the first person started for it and then didn't continue.....the team's losing, the clock's running, they're out of timeouts, why should I help them?

I'd actually be in favor of the NCAA stop clock under a minute rule under NFHS play. Yes, I know that our timers would probably be disastrous with it. Still, I think it would eliminate a lot of other potential problems.
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 01:47pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Also, I doubt I'd stop the clock in a HS game once the first person started for it and then didn't continue.....the team's losing, the clock's running, they're out of timeouts, why should I help them?

I'd actually be in favor of the NCAA stop clock under a minute rule under NFHS play. Yes, I know that our timers would probably be disastrous with it. Still, I think it would eliminate a lot of other potential problems.
I'd like that for HS also. I've had that thought for quite a while now.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Also, I doubt I'd stop the clock in a HS game once the first person started for it and then didn't continue.....the team's losing, the clock's running, they're out of timeouts, why should I help them?

I'd actually be in favor of the NCAA stop clock under a minute rule under NFHS play. Yes, I know that our timers would probably be disastrous with it. Still, I think it would eliminate a lot of other potential problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'd like that for HS also. I've had that thought for quite a while now.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
It's troublesome but less troublesome than you might think. No more than any other issue you come across when HS students handle the table. If I'm going to have a problem in a NYC GV game it's usually on that first FG when the clock is at 0:59.9 or less because the kids forget (yes, we remind them). I actually have more problems during BV - i.e., NFHS - games because those kids either work the table for GV as well and they get the rules mixed up or they're so used to watching NBA games they stop the clock after every made FG under 2:00 in each quarter. In the latter situation I'll smile and say to the timer, "Do you want to go home tonight? Because I do."
__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9-4; Through the Basket from Below rgncjn Basketball 30 Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:57pm
Girl's Game Sitch - Basket or No Basket IUgrad92 Basketball 33 Wed Mar 19, 2008 02:01pm
Too Far Under Basket for PC mcdanrd Basketball 27 Tue Mar 18, 2008 03:04pm
which basket is which? A Pennsylvania Coach Basketball 45 Sun May 05, 2002 10:28pm
basket or not? Art N Basketball 11 Fri Oct 27, 2000 01:20pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1