View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I just watched the video. In a high school game, I'm not even going to have a 5 second count because the clock will be running with under 5 seconds. In any stopped clock game, I'm doing exactly what these guys did.

Starting a count early here isn't doing anyone any good.
What he ^^^ said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
When I posted the original question, I thought the ball was lying in plain sight the whole time. It wasn't. But from the reactions of everyone involved, I don't think it was ever not available. With all that in mind, I would have started a count when the first guy stepped out of bounds. I see nothing in the wording that makes that wrong. I also don't see whether the clock is running or stopped has anything to do with this rule. And I also don't know what a "deliberate" count is.
My question in terms of starting the count in the ND/SFA situation - and I would ask this after the game if we'd been working together - would be, "What's the rush?" The offense is in a lousy situation and the defense is getting a chance to set up. Nothing in the wording of the rule may make starting the count wrong but as BNR said supervisors aren't looking for "gotcha" officiating, especially in a situation where, in 0:01.5 of game time, one of the teams is about to see its season come to a crushing end. Sometimes there's a difference between being right and being reasonable. Heck, I think the next step before starting the count would've been for the new T to go get the ball and give it to the SFA player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I also don't know what a "deliberate" count is.
Deliberate meaning if they're taking "forever" - or what feels like it - to pick up the ball, your five-second count becomes slow and exaggerated. That way if you really really have to call the violation, even Stevie Wonder in the last row can say, "Yeah, they took a long time to get the ball in. I get why they called it."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)