The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Goaltending: Michigan v Purdue (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101068-goaltending-michigan-v-purdue.html)

Nevadaref Sat Mar 12, 2016 01:12pm

Goaltending: Michigan v Purdue

17:18 of the 1st half.
I don't believe that the entire ball is above the level of the ring when the C whistles for GT.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 12, 2016 01:14pm

Just to show how difficult GT/BI decisions are, I'll also request video of the non-GT call during the 2nd OT of the Cinci/UConn game from yesterday.
Was the ball on the way down when touched? Tough to tell.

Raymond Sat Mar 12, 2016 01:45pm

GT/BI are my toughest calls.

Rich Sat Mar 12, 2016 01:52pm

GT/BI is tough, but I saw an interview in Referee where someone finally agreed with what I think are really the toughest calls -- out of bounds plays.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 12, 2016 02:14pm

Maybe it's the game clock. Now a possible offensive one at 17:19 of the 2nd half.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 12, 2016 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 983883)
GT/BI is tough, but I saw an interview in Referee where someone finally agreed with what I think are really the toughest calls -- out of bounds plays.

I seriously hope that you are kidding. :eek:
The VAST majority of OOB plays are clear and simple. Occasionally there is a tough one.

GT/BI are frequently difficult situations which happen quickly, up high, and at a distance from the calling official(s).

Rich Sat Mar 12, 2016 02:42pm

I'm not kidding. Why would I be?

GT/BI happen infrequently, even at the highest levels. There's a couple of tough out of bounds calls every game.

What tends to bail out the crew on these tough ones is that nobody can definitively say one way or another whether the official is right.

BillyMac Sat Mar 12, 2016 03:11pm

If I Had A Nickel For Every Time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 983880)
GT/BI are my toughest calls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 983883)
... interview in Referee where someone finally agreed with what I think are really the toughest calls -- out of bounds plays.

Block/charge can be tough for some, but I'm pretty good at it, always anticipating the play, not the call, and watching the defender. An unexpected out of bounds play can be tough, especially in a two person game, but I'm always willing to ask for help from my partner, receive help from my partner, of offer help to my partner (it's in every one of my pregame conferences). Goaltending is tougher for me than basket interference. But my Achilles heel is traveling, not at at the start of the dribble (easy peasey lemon squeezy), but at the end of dribble, when dribbler comes to an odd jump stop transitioning into the act of shooting.

JetMetFan Sat Mar 12, 2016 03:57pm

video added

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 983876)
I don't believe that the entire ball is above the level of the ring when the C whistles for GT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 983890)
Maybe it's the game clock. Now a possible offensive one at 17:19 of the 2nd half.

Both plays, same clip...

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pR5HAT_SrIE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nevadaref Sat Mar 12, 2016 04:43pm

Thanks. I believe that both calls were missed. The first was an ICC and the second was an INC.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 12, 2016 05:57pm

The first was not GT because the entire ball must be above the level of the rim to have GT.

The first was BI (not GT). It can't be GT because, in college, only the defense can commit GT and the ball was in the cylinder, so it was BI.

johnny d Sat Mar 12, 2016 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 983876)

Bold part is irrelevant in NCAAM, any part of the ball above the rim is sufficient to have goaltending.

johnny d Sat Mar 12, 2016 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 983936)
The first was not GT because the entire ball must be above the level of the rim to have GT.

The first was BI (not GT). It can't be GT because, in college, only the defense can commit GT and the ball was in the cylinder, so it was BI.

Incorrect on both accounts for the first play. The rule is as follows: When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has the possibility of entering the basket.

The only way you can argue no goaltending on this play is if you think there is no chance for the ball to enter the basket.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 13, 2016 01:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 983942)
Incorrect on both accounts for the first play. The rule is as follows: When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward flight. In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player as long as it has the possibility of entering the basket.

The only way you can argue no goaltending on this play is if you think there is no chance for the ball to enter the basket.

You are correct. It appears they changed the rule in the last couple of years and I missed that.

The prior rule said: "When the entire ball is above the level of the ring during a field-goal try and contacts the backboard, it is considered to be on its downward flight".

The current rule says: "When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on
its downward flight."