The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
It's one thing to not call it live, but do you truly not actually see a travel there? Now I realize I have the benefit of slow motion replay multiple times (as do you), but it's pretty clearly a travel.
I do not see an obvious travel because it is a question of when he actually gathers the ball. To me that means not when they are bringing the ball in, but when they have actual control of the ball. I do not see that clearly on this video and if you say you do that is fine, but I tend to want "clear" evidence and not angles that make that in doubt. Travels to me have to be so obvious that they call themselves. This is not one of those times.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not see an obvious travel because it is a question of when he actually gathers the ball. To me that means not when they are bringing the ball in, but when they have actual control of the ball. I do not see that clearly on this video and if you say you do that is fine, but I tend to want "clear" evidence and not angles that make that in doubt. Travels to me have to be so obvious that they call themselves. This is not one of those times.

Peace
Last March, I rewound and reviewed every "spin" like this I saw....and all but 1 or 2 were travels. It's almost impossible for a player to delay his gather long enough to make these plays legal.

I was very, very surprised at the results of my unofficial survey, fwiw.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 08:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good get by L. It was subtle, but it was just enough to get white the rebound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
I agree 100%. I really like the cadence of the whistle on this play. IMO the official waited to see if it impacted the shot attempt and only came with the foul when the attempt was missed.
I don't like the idea of waiting til it's missed, but I don't think that's what he did. He processed it and decided the shot was affected by the contact on the elbow.

On video, the travel is clear to me, he clearly has the ball with his right foot down then replants it on the spin. I probably call that travel if I catch it in my high school games, but with that much banging going on, I'm probably not going to catch it live while watching the battle to make sure no one gets hurt or something.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:09pm
Stubborn Member

I see an illegal screen.

Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
I agree 100%. I really like the cadence of the whistle on this play. IMO the official waited to see if it impacted the shot attempt and only came with the foul when the attempt was missed.
Contact with the arm on the shooter....while the ball is still in his hands....is a foul no matter what. Make or miss.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

1) Announcer: "and a foul over the back" ... I thought now that my HS season was over, I might be able to go a few days without hearing the phrase "over-the-back". Apparently not.

2) Seems like a good call. Minor touch on the arm, but it severely impacted the shot. Traveling never crossed my mind until after reading these posts. Only by taking both angles together could I see a travel if you are considering the right foot as the pivot foot, then lifted and replaced. In real time I would have seen the left foot plant as the pivot foot.