Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Stetson @ FGCU (Video)

Play 1:

Play 2:

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Play 2: The ship has sailed on this ever being called traveling, right?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

#1: I'm cool with the foul. Possession consequence on that one. Slight shove allowed the FGCU player to get the ball.

#2: Only whistle there should've been a travel. Otherwise, play on.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:48am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Play 2: The ship has sailed on this ever being called traveling, right?
Sure seems that way doesn't it? Two chances to call it here. He hops on the right foot after establishing it as the pivot, then puts the left foot down and follows with the right before the shot.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 08:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

That's never going to be called, but I wonder: Why does anyone really care?

I'm amazed at the officials that almost seem to take personal offense at this.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 09:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

#2: Only whistle there should've been a travel. Otherwise, play on.
The defender hits his shooting elbow, that can't be ignored.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I agree 100%. I really like the cadence of the whistle on this play. IMO the official waited to see if it impacted the shot attempt and only came with the foul when the attempt was missed.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:24am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's never going to be called, but I wonder: Why does anyone really care?

I'm amazed at the officials that almost seem to take personal offense at this.
Are we still talking about the travel? The reason why it's a problem is the trend of not calling a travel continues to increase. Players at the high school level, naturally, imitate the moves that they see on tv, and if I "correctly" call a travel, the place goes nuts. So what's the solution?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Are...and if I "correctly" call a travel, the place goes nuts. So what's the solution?
Who cares if the place goes nuts. Seems like it's a problem at the HS level where none of your partners want to make the same call. Does your supervisor/assignor go nuts?

What I get tired of is blaming college basketball for what is or isn't allowed at the HS level. If it is not being called at the HS level, it's because HS officials don't want to call it. That has nothing to do with what goes on in a college game in Fort Myers.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:52am
TODO: creative title here

Play #1: Looked suspect at first, but replays show the hand in the back causing the defender to lose his legally-gained position. Good call.

Play #2: Heck, even I saw a travel in realtime, and I suck at calling traveling.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Absolutely, that is why it cannot be ignored. He clearly misses badly as a result. We cannot pass on this even if the contact is slight. He did not overshoot the basket completely on his own only 5 feet away.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Who cares if the place goes nuts. Seems like it's a problem at the HS level where none of your partners want to make the same call. Does your supervisor/assignor go nuts?

What I get tired of is blaming college basketball for what is or isn't allowed at the HS level. If it is not being called at the HS level, it's because HS officials don't want to call it. That has nothing to do with what goes on in a college game in Fort Myers.
My point was this:

If your locality calls this traveling and all your officials consistently call this traveling, then what's the problem?

I called a lot of bad spin moves traveling this year. Whether they're called that way in the B1G means nothing to me as an official. It means more if the coach says "he's done that move all year and you're the first person to call that."
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Are we still talking about the travel? The reason why it's a problem is the trend of not calling a travel continues to increase. Players at the high school level, naturally, imitate the moves that they see on tv, and if I "correctly" call a travel, the place goes nuts. So what's the solution?
I am sorry, but I do not see a travel. I see an issue of which foot he has established and certainly not enough to where I am going to say, "Damn that is a travel." Now if you are better at getting these, more power to you. I am at the lead likely looking for contact mainly. Maybe the Trail picks this up, but the are also likely looking at bodies in front of them or around them.

Sorry, but if this is missed, it is also missed at the high school level a lot. We are not pure and this move has nothing to do with what players see on TV. When you do call many travels players and coaches have no idea anyway why we call them. They do not get the concept of a pivot foot or what constitutes a travel anyway and complaining about it is not going to make them understand even more. Travels are hard to see often for a lot of reasons. I watch enough high school tapes to see this clearly. And I call my fair share of travels that I know many officials almost never call.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am sorry, but I do not see a travel. I see an issue of which foot he has established and certainly not enough to where I am going to say, "Damn that is a travel." Now if you are better at getting these, more power to you. I am at the lead likely looking for contact mainly. Maybe the Trail picks this up, but the are also likely looking at bodies in front of them or around them.
It's one thing to not call it live, but do you truly not actually see a travel there? Now I realize I have the benefit of slow motion replay multiple times (as do you), but it's pretty clearly a travel.

In play #1, I can see the foul call, and would not dispute it, but I really don't think the hand in the back is what caused the player going for the rebound to move forward like that, a) I think he was moving forward anyways, and b) it was a longer rebound, and was over his head regardless. If the officials pass on this call, I would be absolutely fine with it.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
It's one thing to not call it live, but do you truly not actually see a travel there? Now I realize I have the benefit of slow motion replay multiple times (as do you), but it's pretty clearly a travel.

In play #1, I can see the foul call, and would not dispute it, but I really don't think the hand in the back is what caused the player going for the rebound to move forward like that, a) I think he was moving forward anyways, and b) it was a longer rebound, and was over his head regardless. If the officials pass on this call, I would be absolutely fine with it.
Just the opposite view from me. He extended his arm and pushed -- and then he gets the ball. Too much for me to pass on and an easy one to see on video.