The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Stetson @ FGCU (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101032-stetson-fgcu-video.html)

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:33am

Stetson @ FGCU (Video)

Play 1:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y1gfgmCRPtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play 2:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jUgcKg_dEUM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

MechanicGuy Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:36am

Play 2: The ship has sailed on this ever being called traveling, right?

JetMetFan Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:47am

#1: I'm cool with the foul. Possession consequence on that one. Slight shove allowed the FGCU player to get the ball.

#2: Only whistle there should've been a travel. Otherwise, play on.

just another ref Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 983346)
Play 2: The ship has sailed on this ever being called traveling, right?

Sure seems that way doesn't it? Two chances to call it here. He hops on the right foot after establishing it as the pivot, then puts the left foot down and follows with the right before the shot.

Rich Mon Mar 07, 2016 08:21am

That's never going to be called, but I wonder: Why does anyone really care?

I'm amazed at the officials that almost seem to take personal offense at this.

Raymond Mon Mar 07, 2016 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 983348)

#2: Only whistle there should've been a travel. Otherwise, play on.

The defender hits his shooting elbow, that can't be ignored.

Remington Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 983366)

I agree 100%. I really like the cadence of the whistle on this play. IMO the official waited to see if it impacted the shot attempt and only came with the foul when the attempt was missed.

just another ref Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 983360)
That's never going to be called, but I wonder: Why does anyone really care?

I'm amazed at the officials that almost seem to take personal offense at this.

Are we still talking about the travel? The reason why it's a problem is the trend of not calling a travel continues to increase. Players at the high school level, naturally, imitate the moves that they see on tv, and if I "correctly" call a travel, the place goes nuts. So what's the solution?

Raymond Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 983383)
Are...and if I "correctly" call a travel, the place goes nuts. So what's the solution?

Who cares if the place goes nuts. Seems like it's a problem at the HS level where none of your partners want to make the same call. Does your supervisor/assignor go nuts?

What I get tired of is blaming college basketball for what is or isn't allowed at the HS level. If it is not being called at the HS level, it's because HS officials don't want to call it. That has nothing to do with what goes on in a college game in Fort Myers.

jTheUmp Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:52am

Play #1: Looked suspect at first, but replays show the hand in the back causing the defender to lose his legally-gained position. Good call.

Play #2: Heck, even I saw a travel in realtime, and I suck at calling traveling.

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 983366)

Absolutely, that is why it cannot be ignored. He clearly misses badly as a result. We cannot pass on this even if the contact is slight. He did not overshoot the basket completely on his own only 5 feet away.

Peace

Rich Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 983384)
Who cares if the place goes nuts. Seems like it's a problem at the HS level where none of your partners want to make the same call. Does your supervisor/assignor go nuts?

What I get tired of is blaming college basketball for what is or isn't allowed at the HS level. If it is not being called at the HS level, it's because HS officials don't want to call it. That has nothing to do with what goes on in a college game in Fort Myers.

My point was this:

If your locality calls this traveling and all your officials consistently call this traveling, then what's the problem?

I called a lot of bad spin moves traveling this year. Whether they're called that way in the B1G means nothing to me as an official. It means more if the coach says "he's done that move all year and you're the first person to call that."

JRutledge Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 983383)
Are we still talking about the travel? The reason why it's a problem is the trend of not calling a travel continues to increase. Players at the high school level, naturally, imitate the moves that they see on tv, and if I "correctly" call a travel, the place goes nuts. So what's the solution?

I am sorry, but I do not see a travel. I see an issue of which foot he has established and certainly not enough to where I am going to say, "Damn that is a travel." Now if you are better at getting these, more power to you. I am at the lead likely looking for contact mainly. Maybe the Trail picks this up, but the are also likely looking at bodies in front of them or around them.

Sorry, but if this is missed, it is also missed at the high school level a lot. We are not pure and this move has nothing to do with what players see on TV. When you do call many travels players and coaches have no idea anyway why we call them. They do not get the concept of a pivot foot or what constitutes a travel anyway and complaining about it is not going to make them understand even more. Travels are hard to see often for a lot of reasons. I watch enough high school tapes to see this clearly. And I call my fair share of travels that I know many officials almost never call.

Peace

frezer11 Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 983395)
I am sorry, but I do not see a travel. I see an issue of which foot he has established and certainly not enough to where I am going to say, "Damn that is a travel." Now if you are better at getting these, more power to you. I am at the lead likely looking for contact mainly. Maybe the Trail picks this up, but the are also likely looking at bodies in front of them or around them.

It's one thing to not call it live, but do you truly not actually see a travel there? Now I realize I have the benefit of slow motion replay multiple times (as do you), but it's pretty clearly a travel.

In play #1, I can see the foul call, and would not dispute it, but I really don't think the hand in the back is what caused the player going for the rebound to move forward like that, a) I think he was moving forward anyways, and b) it was a longer rebound, and was over his head regardless. If the officials pass on this call, I would be absolutely fine with it.

Rich Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 983399)
It's one thing to not call it live, but do you truly not actually see a travel there? Now I realize I have the benefit of slow motion replay multiple times (as do you), but it's pretty clearly a travel.

In play #1, I can see the foul call, and would not dispute it, but I really don't think the hand in the back is what caused the player going for the rebound to move forward like that, a) I think he was moving forward anyways, and b) it was a longer rebound, and was over his head regardless. If the officials pass on this call, I would be absolutely fine with it.

Just the opposite view from me. He extended his arm and pushed -- and then he gets the ball. Too much for me to pass on and an easy one to see on video.