The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

New Referee

I have a question: what advise could you give me in regards to buying new uniforms. Is there a different levels of quality. etc? What are the best stores to take a look at, most popular?

New Ref, so sorry for such simple question.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 05:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

First of all, welcome. I'm sure the posters here will give you some good information as to your uniform situation. Since I retired a few years ago due to medical reasons, I'm not up on the latest info for this.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Feb 26, 2016 at 05:50pm. Reason: oy vey Padgett
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 06:48pm
High Five Master

Between the lines. Google it. He is a local guy in my area. Has good stuff, good prices, and fast. His name is Rex. I believe he probably has a starter kit with whistle, shirt, pants, etc. I know he does for hardball. Check him out.

http://btlofficialsgear.com/
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Is Smitty the best brand? I see them a lot..
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 06:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I like refereescall.com out of Oklahoma City. Quick, reasonable shipping.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I like refereescall.com out of Oklahoma City. Quick, reasonable shipping.
I like their site. What is the top/official brand? I don't mind spending few extra $ fro better quality. What do you prefer?
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
First of all, welcome. I'm sure the posters here will give you some good information as to your uniform situation. Since I retired a few years ago due to medical reasons, I'm not up on the latest info for this.

Thanks Mark!
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 07:33pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref81 View Post
I like their site. What is the top/official brand?
This is like asking - which car do you like better - Audi, BMW, Acura, or Mercedes? (for example). People like different things for different reason - quality, fit, comfort, stitching, etc.

Ask some local officials and take a look at what they have and ask what they like.

I've bought at our local meeting after trying things on and also off the internet. Ordering off the internet to start can be a crap shoot - or it could work. Some things like socks, undershirts, whistles, etc may be better ordered online than shirts, pants or court shoes which you might like to try on first.

Good luck.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 07:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This is like asking - which car do you like better - Audi, BMW, Acura, or Mercedes? (for example).
I have a Rolls Canardly. It rolls down one hill and canardly get up the next.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 01:22am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref81 View Post
I have a question: what advise could you give me in regards to buying new uniforms. Is there a different levels of quality. etc? What are the best stores to take a look at, most popular?

New Ref, so sorry for such simple question.
Welcome to the forum! I've never bought a starter pack so I can't recommend that but it could work. When I started out I bought some things from a local store with basic Smitty gear but I returned most of that stuff and bought stuff online. I like Purchase Officials Supplies cuz they have treated me well with all my orders and returns.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

I'm a fan of Officially Sports in Pittsburgh....

www.officiallysports.com

Buy everything you need and I'm sure you will get free shipping....
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

I recommend you get the shirts with 1" wide black and white stripes.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I recommend you get the shirts with 1" wide black and white stripes.
Get the shirts required where you will be working. Some places use those shirts; others, grey with thin stripes; others, the college style, with a black side-panel. I think virtually everywhere, shirts are V-necks, so don't get football/lacrosse/soccer style shirts with black collars.

Pants: some places prefer pleats, others flat front. Western or slash pockets? I think most places require beltless, although there are some exceptions.

Smitty is a major brand, and is ok, but there are several different quality shirts within that label. Cliff Keen is another good brand.

Shoes: New Balance and Reebok Zigs are perhaps the most common options.

There are a number of mail order companies that outfit officials. All Sports Officials, Ump-Attire, Officially Sports, Honigs, Purchase. Before you buy, though, do a search, as some companies have problems at times, such as not shipping timely.

Last edited by LRZ; Sat Feb 27, 2016 at 07:53am.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 09:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Between the lines. Google it. He is a local guy in my area. Has good stuff, good prices, and fast. His name is Rex. I believe he probably has a starter kit with whistle, shirt, pants, etc. I know he does for hardball. Check him out.

http://btlofficialsgear.com/

Ah, Rex. This is the guy who left Wisconsin mainly cause the WIAA endorsed another WI business (Gerry Davis Sports) and not him. I called him once looking for a certain plate shoe that was a bit hard to find then. He didn't carry them, tried to sell me something else, then essentially called me an idiot when I told him I'd keep looking elsewhere.

He also keeps a list of customers on his website that he refers to as the Hall of Shame.- people who he sent gear to on a promise they'd send a check or money order, then didn't. While I empathize with a business owner losing money, I always wondered what kept Rex from dragging someone's name through the mud - it's not like I have both sides of any story.

Finally, while other people give discounts (Honig's gives 10% for being an NASO member and GD Sports gives 7.5% as a WIAA official), Rex wants you to give up a list of your association first so he can spam them.

Glad you like him. Would be a cold day in hell before I ever called him.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 09:56am
High Five Master

He has always given me the 7.5 discount and never asked me for anything. And his shop is local so I can try on stuff before buying and can pick it up so I don't have to pay shipping. Sorry you had a poor experience with him but I never have.

Actually, I've never had a bad experience with anyplace (knock on wood). Including Honigs and Johnny Macs