The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Referee

The NBA Referee who has allegedly been betting on games is Tim Donaghy. Unfortunitaly this is unfolding to be one of the biggest crisis in the history of the 4 major sports. Donaghy is said to be betting on games that he has officiated in. Making calls in the 4th quarter to get the spread the way it should be. I am sure that this isn't the first time it has happened and probably will not be the last, but this is the first one to be caught in the 4 major sports. Now every night them guys go out there, everyone in the arena and anyone who knows basketball will be judging the integrity of those guys if in the 4th quarter a select guy makes 2 or 3 calls that are "iffy".
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 05:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

I can just hear it now - "Hey ref, how much did you have bet on those guys?" "Hey ref - how much did they pay you to beat the spread?", etc.

I guess it's about time the NBA changed their name to the NBE (National Basketball Entertainment) following the lead of "professional" wrestling.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 05:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Or, "Hey ref, what's the spread tonight?"

Maybe I could respond, "I hear it's roast beef sandwiches."

We'll probably hear it from the fans, but I'll be dammed if I'm gonna put up with it from coaches.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Maybe I could respond, "I hear it's roast beef sandwiches."

We'll probably hear it from the fans, but I'll be dammed if I'm gonna put up with it from coaches.
It's only this big, coach ... (as I bring my hands together to form a letter of the alphabet)
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 08:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
"Apparently, it's your waistline."
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
"Apparently, it's your waistline."
Hey!

I resemble that remark!
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

This is an issue that will impact every single one of us, guaranteed, from the NBA all the way down to pee-wee games. It will not only affect basketball, but it will hurt officials in every other sport. The only thing we have is our integrity, complemented by our believability. The accusation alone, at one fellow official, casts suspicion on all of us. This is a dark day for all officials.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

"As we previously stated, we have been cooperating with the FBI in their investigation of allegations that a single NBA referee bet on NBA games that he officiated. As part of that cooperation, we were asked by the Government not to comment about the investigation, but in light of the widespread press coverage and the naming of the referee, Tim Donaghy, we consider it appropriate to make a fuller statement. We would like to assure our fans that no amount of effort, time or personnel is being spared to assist in this investigation, to bring to justice an individual who has betrayed the most sacred trust in professional sports, and to take the necessary steps to protect against this ever happening again. We will have more to say at a press conference that will be scheduled for next week." --David Stern

Sounds like he's convinced.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 07:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
It's only this big, coach ... (as I bring my hands together to form a letter of the alphabet)
With ya there! First player or coach that opens his mouth - WHACK!
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Some of you guys are overstating this. If you work major college or pro, then yes, it could come up. Lower than that it won't since there's no betting market and no spread. Even if it does, its easy to deal with: ignore the fans and if the coaches or players say something, whack them and report it.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 01:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

After a game once, I had a coach ask me how much I had bet on that game. At first, I thought he was kidding but then I realized he was serious. I told him that if he said that to anyone else and it affected my assignments, I would sue him for slander. That shut him up. Oh yeah - this was a SIXTH GRADE KIDS REC GAME!!!!
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This summer, I was working at a tournament in Oregon City. One of my games was the home team against a team from out of state. The oos coach asked me, when I called yet another foul against his players, "Where are we playing this game?"

I doubt that accusations of gambling will go up much (except perhaps in Padgett's league where everyone knows what his price is! jk Mark) but I expect accusations of cheating will. We are already always under suspicion anyway, this situation can only make it worse.
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Some of you guys are overstating this. If you work major college or pro, then yes, it could come up. Lower than that it won't since there's no betting market and no spread. Even if it does, its easy to deal with: ignore the fans and if the coaches or players say something, whack them and report it.
That's exactly what the other posters said. So why are they overstating it and you're not? If you think this won't trickle down, you're very naive.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If you think this won't trickle down, you're very naive.
I ran into a friend of mine today. I have reffed his boy-HS frosh-/Jv. Kid has fouled out every game I have reffed him.....Never heard Anything. Not a word about the calls or his kid or nuthin. But today heard,in jest, some point spread banter. . I do believe BBREF has it right,in that it's a gonna trickle down....

LAst year one of the local Varsity legends, in summer ball, accused me of taking money from the other local varsity legend. That was an easy whistle on my part.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

The trickle down effect will hit us all, guaranteed. I don't know about the rest of you, but when someone questions my integrity, it's not just going to be a T, I'll be doing paperwork.