The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Coach K supports ACC's decision to not suspend Grayson Allen
play
Greenberg: Grayson Allen needs to be suspended (1:26)
Email
comment
9:07 PM ET
ESPN.com news services
PITTSBURGH -- Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski defended the way the Blue Devils handled the fallout from Grayson Allen's second entanglement with an opponent this season.

The ACC issued a statement on Friday taking Allen to task for his involvement but declined to discipline him further. Krzyzewski believes it was the right call. The Hall of Famer spoke to his leading scorer after the Florida State game, and Krzyzewski apologized to Seminoles coach Leonard Hamilton before calling the league.

"I would not suspend any player for what would be a flagrant 1," Krzyzewski said. "What he got was the stiffest reprimand a player in our conference has gotten this year. I thought the [ACC] took action, and you've got to move on. The world doesn't move on, because it's Duke."

"What he got was the stiffest reprimand a player in our conference has gotten this year," Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski said of Grayson Allen. "I thought the [ACC] took action and you've got to move on. The world doesn't move on, because it's Duke." Andy Mead/YCJ/Icon Sportswire
On Thursday, the sophomore guard stuck his left leg out and tripped Florida State's Xavier Rathan-Mayes with 3.4 seconds left in Duke's 15-point romp. That incident happened after Rathan-Mayes appeared to grab the back of Allen's jersey in an attempt to fling himself down court. Allen received a flagrant foul for tripping Louisville's Ray Spalding earlier this month.

On Sunday, Allen was jeered mercilessly by Pitt's student section -- heavily armed with signs highlighting his misdeeds -- and though he made six of 13 shots, he also turned the ball over four times and failed to make a real impact (though few of his teammates did better) in a 76-62 loss. Allen doesn't believe the issue will linger heading into March.

"It's just being smart," he said. "I've had to be smart all season. Obviously, I made a mistake, and I messed up."

Information from The Associated Press
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with that result.

It was no where near an FF2 level infraction. If it were, it should have resulted in a suspension. But, as it was, it should have been a basic DBCT.

Hard to impose a suspension when the play, if properly called, would have only resulted in 2 shots and the ball for the other team.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I agree with that result.

It was no where near an FF2 level infraction. If it were, it should have resulted in a suspension. But, as it was, it should have been a basic DBCT.

Hard to impose a suspension when the play, if properly called, would have only resulted in 2 shots and the ball for the other team.
The act in this game alone doesn't warrant a suspension, but when this is a pattern from this same player, I think it could be justified.

And yes, I'm a hater.
Old Mon Feb 29, 2016, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
The act in this game alone doesn't warrant a suspension, but when this is a pattern from this same player, I think it could be justified.

And yes, I'm a hater.
Let's put him on double secret probation.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Around the 3 minute mark of 2nd half in this afternoon's ACC Tourny 2nd round game vs NC State Allen looks like he is about to trip a player again, then thinks better of it.. only to commit an intentional foul seconds later.

At this point, I think its fair to label him a "dirty" player who officials need to be on high alert for cheap non-basketball stuff.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 06:12pm
High Five Master

It's getting harder to defend him but I don't think today was a dirty play. Quite possibly the stupidest foul ever in a tournament game, but not dirty. Barber was a foot past him and he tried to grab and got the FF1 for not playing the ball. Just needs to knock off the stupid crap and play ball. What an idiot
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 06:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Around the 3 minute mark of 2nd half in this afternoon's ACC Tourny 2nd round game vs NC State Allen looks like he is about to trip a player again, then thinks better of it.. only to commit an intentional foul seconds later.

At this point, I think its fair to label him a "dirty" player who officials need to be on high alert for cheap non-basketball stuff.
If you did not realize I posted your play request in another thread.

Peace