Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 06:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This (Below) Was On My Hard Drive ...

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:

“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be
over here in just a minute.”
“Tell me, I’ll ask him.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 08:12pm
Stubborn Member

Ok, thanks. If I have done this like I thought I have, I'm glad it didn't blow up in my face.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Here is an example from something that happened in my association. A coach didnt like a travel call against his player. A possession or 2 later he asks one of the non-calling official who was in front of him about it. After the exchange, the coach yells across the court, "See, even your own partner didnt think it was a travel." The non-calling official would later explain that "all he did" was answer a hypothetical about if the kid had done X blah blah blah." But the coach took it and ran with it and was trying to divide and conquer like many coaches like to do.

Again, there is just no upside to trying to relay info on judgement calls. None. If your partner has time to tell you, then he can find time to tell the coach. If its that important. Again, 98% of the time its not. And most of the time the coach doesnt even really want an explanation. They are trying to manipulate the situation and gain an advantage for the next call.

Bottom line is that trying to relay info does nothing to improve communication with the coach and often can lead to problems. Its too easy for things to get lost in translation even if you quote your partner verbatim.

I agree that communication with coaches is important. But being a middle man is not the way to do it.

That has nothing to do with this situation. The official in your situation wasn't commenting on a previous call.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If I'm the partner who talked about the hypothetical and the coach did that, we're all getting a short free throw break.
Agree. That's an automatic with a "sit down and not one more word to or about us.... Or you can go sit on the bus."
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That has nothing to do with this situation. The official in your situation wasn't commenting on a previous call.
He engaged in a conversation about a previous call.

I know the details of the situation even if they are not conveyed perfectly here.

Its a relevant example.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He engaged in a conversation about a previous call.

I know the details of the situation even if they are not conveyed perfectly here.

Its a relevant example.
You said yourself he didn't ask about a call and that the official didn't relay anything about his partner's call. The coach asked about something else and only then turned it into being about a prior call. That is entirely on the coach, not the official.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Too much talking (not good). Answer a question as short and polite as possible. "This is how I saw it from my angle coach" etc. Continue talking and I may say something I regret and same goes for the coach. Less talk and less possibilites of a T. A T that I might of provoked.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You said yourself he didn't ask about a call and that the official didn't relay anything about his partner's call. The coach asked about something else and only then turned it into being about a prior call. That is entirely on the coach, not the official.
No I didn't. In fact I clearly stated that he asked about the call.

Quote:
A coach didnt like a travel call against his player. A possession or 2 later he asks one of the non-calling official who was in front of him about it.
The entire conversation was about the previous call and I put "all he did" was answer a hypothetical in quotes for a reason. This official himself uses this as an example of why not to engage with coaches about partners' calls.

Its not the exact same thing as "relaying" info from a partner but to say it has nothing to do with the situation here is being obtuse.

Its all part of the larger point about not engaging in conversations with coaches about partners' calls because coaches will often just try to use it to their advantage or try to divide and conquer the crew in hopes of getting calls moving forward. I think most see the relevance.

My advice to the official who was thinking about relaying info from a partner was, and is, to simply get away from that line of thinking altogether for the reasons that have been stated multiple times in this thread.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If I'm the partner who talked about the hypothetical and the coach did that, we're all getting a short free throw break.
The official involved said he thought about going there but decided against it b/c he realized he made a comment that could have been construed that way. The coach set up a trap and he fell for it.

There are others who feel that he should have rang him up anyway. The debate continues to this day.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The official involved said he thought about going there but decided against it b/c he realized he made a comment that could have been construed that way. The coach set up a trap and he fell for it.

There are others who feel that he should have rang him up anyway. The debate continues to this day.
He used one partner against the other. That's one reason to ring him up. Yelling across the court is another. Personally, I don't see much room for debate on this one.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'll take a punch if I screwed something up. This isn't taking a punch and I'd bet my car the coach knew exactly what he was doing.

I'm not allowing this. I'm more likely to allow a coach to tell me to f*** off.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
He used one partner against the other. That's one reason to ring him up. Yelling across the court is another. Personally, I don't see much room for debate on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I'll take a punch if I screwed something up. This isn't taking a punch and I'd bet my car the coach knew exactly what he was doing.

I'm not allowing this. I'm more likely to allow a coach to tell me to f*** off.
I tend to agree. The official addressed the coaches comment but said he didn't want to T him and compound his mistake.

You could make the argument that he compounded it by not sticking him as well.

The larger point, IMO anyway, is that he would have had no qualms issuing the T had he not put himself in a bad position to begin with by engaging with the coach on a partner's call.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 02:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I get that he felt used at the time, and I'm not saying he was wrong to not call the T.

I'm calling it, however, and not losing a moment's sleep over it. And frankly, I'm calling it as either official in this exchange. If I'm the one across the court, I'm only giving my partner about 2 seconds to blow his whistle before I blow mine.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I tend to agree. The official addressed the coaches comment but said he didn't want to T him and compound his mistake.

You could make the argument that he compounded it by not sticking him as well.

The larger point, IMO anyway, is that he would have had no qualms issuing the T had he not put himself in a bad position to begin with by engaging with the coach on a partner's call.
I still disagree that the conversation was specifically about the partner's call. It was, indirectly, only when the coach turned an innocent answer against the partner.

If, after a few trips up and down the court after some call by a parnter, a coach asks me about a rule, I'm answering a rules question without any comment on a partner's prior call. If it is right away, it is clear it is about that call and I'll refer them to the calling official (unless I know I had the same thing). If my partner gets a rule wrong, that is not on me. It is not my job to know my partner kicked a rule 5 possessions ago such that I have to avoid talking about that rule in the future. I will have said nothing about whether my partner was correct or not.

The coach should have been T'd when he twisted it around against the prior call.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I still disagree that the conversation was specifically about the partner's call. It was, indirectly, only when the coach turned an innocent answer against the partner.

If, after a few trips up and down the court after some call by a parnter, a coach asks me about a rule, I'm answering a rules question without any comment on a partner's prior call. If it is right away, it is clear it is about that call and I'll refer them to the calling official (unless I know I had the same thing). If my partner gets a rule wrong, that is not on me. It is not my job to know my partner kicked a rule 5 possessions ago such that I have to avoid talking about that rule in the future. I will have said nothing about whether my partner was correct or not.

The coach should have been T'd when he twisted it around against the prior call.
There can be variance of opinions on issuing a T. I'm pretty sure I'd call it myself in that situation though I understand why the official involved didnt.

Speaking of which, have you talked to the official involved about this situation? Because I have. Mutliple times.

HE HIMSELF USES IT AS AN EXAMPLE OF WHY NOT TO ENGAGE IN CONVERSATIONS WITH COACHES ABOUT PARTNERS CALLS.

So it doesnt matter what you agree or disagree with here. Whether or not the conversation was about the previous call is not a matter of opinion. It is fact. Your mention of a kicked rule 5 possessions later has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I think I get what point you are trying to make about this being on the coach but its strange the length you are willing to go in order to do so.