The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

This time of year can bring out the worst in coaches, BUT not always.....

As the season moves toward the post season, sometimes coaches can be a handful. Fortunately, such is not always the case.

Best moment in my basketball officiating season last night....Toward the end of a 6th grade game (that was not particularly close), the coach of the team losing the game appeared to be setting up a shot for one of his players. I sensed that the player was not exactly closing in on the school's scoring record. In fact, the coach informed me that he had NEVER scored in his four year career.

I mentioned this fact to the coach of the other team and mentioned we might be calling the game "very tight" in the event that anyone got close to this player. The coach of the team not only understood, but instructed his players to let the player receive the ball and they promptly fouled him -- with 0:11.6 on the clock.

Even though it was only a 1-and-1 situation, the coach of the opposing team insisted it was a two shot foul (of course, he didn't know that I may have indicated to one of the defenders where he was to stand for the free throws -- let's just say that the shooter was likely to get more than two shots if needed ;-) ).

The first shot hit the front of the rim. The second shot kissed perfectly off of the glass and hit nothing but net. My friend almost leaped to the ceiling!!! The crowd for both teams erupted -- a much louder cheer than most high school games!!!

Refreshing sportsmanship....Great moment in youth sports!!!
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Bravo! Thats what the games about right there!!