The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

6 players on court. Missed coaches time-out request.

I have read through the old threads including Six on court, but... but still struggling to understand this.

Sub at a dead ball, A has throw in on backcourt endline. I administer thrown-in and partner then grants time out to A's coach after A's coach sees a problem with 6 on the floor. He said he was requesting it well before I handed the ball to the thrower. I didn't see the 6 and partner only saw 6 as he was granting time out.

We administer the T for 6 on the court but I have a mental freeze and do not charge the time out to A. I guess I was thinking that the technical came first and the TO should be ignored. A is off their bench with all personnel standing and B wants either a TO charged or a Technical.

I tell the coach we will move the players back to their bench, administer the T and move on. I kicked it, but I can't find the rule or case play to be sure. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 11:50am.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

You can still ask Team A if they still want the TO.

In the future, make sure that whoever beckons the subs into the game doesn't let the official administering the throw-in do so.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. The way I read this, I likely wouldn't have gone with the T. It doesn't sound like the ball had been inbounded yet. Even if it had, if your partner is blowing his whistle to grant the TO, it's too late to enforce the T.
2. B needs to stop trying to influence the officials' calls here. My question, "who" on B was making this insistence?
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Partner then grants time out to A's coach after A's coach sees a problem with 6 on the floor. He said he was requesting it well before I handed the ball to the thrower. I didn't see the 6 and partner only saw 6 as he was granting time out. We administer the T for 6 on the court.
Was it too late to charge the technical foul for six on the court? What is the definition of participating? Are they participating during a timeout? I believe that they were participating and that the technical foul was warranted. How about intermissions? Discussion?

If a team has more than five team members participating simultaneously, then a team technical foul is charged. This infraction is penalized if it is discovered by the officials while being violated, in other words, while more than five team members are currently participating as players in the game.

10.1.6 SITUATION: With Team A leading 51 to 50, a held ball is called. A6 properly reports and enters the game. Time is then called by Team A. The clock shows two seconds remaining in the game. After play is resumed by a throw-in, the officials: (a) recognize that A has six players competing, but cannot get the clock stopped; or (b) do not notice Team A has six players on the court. Following the throw-in, time expires. Team B now reports to the officials that Team A had six players on the court. RULING: In (a), since one of the officials had knowledge that Team A had six players participating simultaneously and this was detected prior to time expiring, a technical foul is assessed against Team A. In (b), since it was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after time had expired, it is too late to assess any penalty.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 20, 2011 at 12:35pm.