The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

You don't need to, but some people feel the need to do so. Usually the same people that have the three minute captains meeting speech.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
You don't need to, but some people feel the need to do so. Usually the same people that have the three minute captains meeting speech.
We have people that feel the need to do so as well and honestly think ratings gets then post season assignments. But those that do the job are usually the ones awarded most often.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 04:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And want to stick around and shake hands after the final horn.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Or go chase the ball to give to someone(why!)
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Or go chase the ball to give to someone(why!)
+1

We have one, who is otherwise a good official, who likes to hunt the ball down, take it to the table, and shake all the hands he can at the table.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 05:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We have a few ADs who ask me to do something with the ball after the game's over. I usually nod and smile -- cause to say what I'm really thinking would cause dismay and confusion.

If the ball ends up in my hands, I might take it to the locker room for me, but I won't go more than a step or two from my path to get it.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
It's very rare, but there have been times I've asked my partner what he saw on a call, and explained that the coach had a question about it. That way, if I have a chance to answer the question the coach has about the call, but my partner hasn't had a chance, I can give him the answer.
Trust the others and me who are saying to you- DO NOT DO THIS! Ever. Get it out of your game now. If its important enough your partner and the coach will eventually get a chance to discuss it. 98% of the time it's not that important.

I actually pre-game against this. Do not explain partners' calls. Period! Coaches are manipulators and it often leads downhill. There is no upside. None.

Only way should be talking to the coach about something you didnt call is a clear rule administration. "We are going to shoot the 2 for the foul, then 2 for the T" or something like that.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Trust the others and me who are saying to you- DO NOT DO THIS! Ever. Get it out of your game now. If its important enough your partner and the coach will eventually get a chance to discuss it. 98% of the time it's not that important.

I actually pre-game against this. Do not explain partners' calls. Period! Coaches are manipulators and it often leads downhill. There is no upside. None.

Only way should be talking to the coach about something you didnt call is a clear rule administration. "We are going to shoot the 2 for the foul, then 2 for the T" or something like that.
+1. I also pregame this. You know how many times there has been a play in front of my partner that he passes, or makes a call, on and I am near the coach when the coach gets into me for not calling something. I reply with "I wasn't looking there." The coach tells my partner "he didn't have a foul or he didn't want to call because it was in front of you"

Twice this season. Those coaches I tune out the rest of the game. One of them asked me why I wasn't talking with him and I told him I didn't appreciate him making things up to my partner and he lost all good will from me for the remainder of the game.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 11:12am
Stubborn Member

I care about what you guys say, so I'm curious as to why this is such a problem.

I'm not putting words in my partners mouth, nor am I having a three minute conversation with the coach about what my partner said. A quick "my partner said your player lifted his pivot foot before the dribble" seems harmless to me. If that's not enough, then the coach will have to wait.

Trust me, there have been plenty of times when there was a foul called by the lead or center, and I... as the trail... was by the coach and he wanted me to explain the call. To which I'd say something like "I wasn't looking there, you'll have to check with my partner."

When I said it was "very rare", I meant it. Hell, I can't remember it happened, but it seems like something I might have done.

Last edited by BryanV21; Sat Feb 20, 2016 at 11:19am.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I care about what you guys say, so I'm curious as to why this is such a problem.

I'm not putting words in my partners mouth, nor am I having a three minute conversation with the coach about what my partner said. A quick "my partner said your player lifted his pivot foot before the dribble" seems harmless to me. If that's not enough, then the coach will have to wait.
Again, why would your partner tell you this instead of telling the coach himself?
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Again, why would your partner tell you this instead of telling the coach himself?
I know for me, regardless of intentions, I wouldn't trust anyone else to relay a message where even one changed word could set a coach off.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:16pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't know. Maybe I haven't done it, it just sounded like something I could do to help the coach and my partner. A way to improve communication with coaches. Who knows?

It'll probably never happen, or have to happen. But just in case, because stranger things can and will pop up, I'd like to know why it's a problem like some have made it out to be. Instead of, like BNR has said, something that simply shouldn't come up.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I know for me, regardless of intentions, I wouldn't trust anyone else to relay a message where even one changed word could set a coach off.
Thank you
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 01:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think BNR was alluding to the same problem I identified.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know. Maybe I haven't done it, it just sounded like something I could do to help the coach and my partner. A way to improve communication with coaches. Who knows?

It'll probably never happen, or have to happen. But just in case, because stranger things can and will pop up, I'd like to know why it's a problem like some have made it out to be. Instead of, like BNR has said, something that simply shouldn't come up.
Here is an example from something that happened in my association. A coach didnt like a travel call against his player. A possession or 2 later he asks one of the non-calling official who was in front of him about it. After the exchange, the coach yells across the court, "See, even your own partner didnt think it was a travel." The non-calling official would later explain that "all he did" was answer a hypothetical about if the kid had done X blah blah blah." But the coach took it and ran with it and was trying to divide and conquer like many coaches like to do.

Again, there is just no upside to trying to relay info on judgement calls. None. If your partner has time to tell you, then he can find time to tell the coach. If its that important. Again, 98% of the time its not. And most of the time the coach doesnt even really want an explanation. They are trying to manipulate the situation and gain an advantage for the next call.

Bottom line is that trying to relay info does nothing to improve communication with the coach and often can lead to problems. Its too easy for things to get lost in translation even if you quote your partner verbatim.

I agree that communication with coaches is important. But being a middle man is not the way to do it.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 06:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If I'm the partner who talked about the hypothetical and the coach did that, we're all getting a short free throw break.