The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
1. Yes, a travel. But it's not getting called at this level. The NBA application of "two beats" might as well be the NCAA rule at this point, considering how it's officiated.
So, you have the right foot as the pivot?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It could be that the T was screened or distracted by the fly-by of the defender.

On 1, there's no way I'm picking that nit. I'd be the only one calling that travel.
I don't know about this. There is what actually happened and what responses are saying they'd do.

I wouldn't call this one a nit. It was a pretty bad travel that makes the crew look bad. Am I getting it as the lead? Ehhh.... not so sure, but I'm glad someone got it on this game.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I don't know about this. There is what actually happened and what responses are saying they'd do.

I wouldn't call this one a nit. It was a pretty bad travel that makes the crew look bad. Am I getting it as the lead? Ehhh.... not so sure, but I'm glad someone got it on this game.
Why do I hardly ever see anyone call this? And I bet that most people even think this is a travel, even the opponent. Again, I had to slow it down to see the travel, but I had doubts and honestly still have doubts as the issue is when did he have possession. This is not a slam dunk call IMO.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why do I hardly ever see anyone call this? And I bet that most people even think this is a travel, even the opponent. Again, I had to slow it down to see the travel, but I had doubts and honestly still have doubts as the issue is when did he have possession. This is not a slam dunk call IMO.

Peace
I read 1 as a 3. No idea why.

I'd probably never make the call on 1 either.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It could be that the T was screened or distracted by the fly-by of the defender.

On 1, there's no way I'm picking that nit. I'd be the only one calling that travel.
Quote:

Rich's first sentence is in reference to play #3, which the Lead came an got.

His second sentence is in reference to the first play.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I rarely see any high school official make this call. When you have high school officials call a simple jab step as a travel, I do not see them getting this one hardly at all.

Peace
I'm not disagreeing with you on the jab step. I see a lot of officials faked out by jab steps and shoulder fakes.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Unfortunately, I'm a agreeing with this. I see, and pass on, several travels a night for this reason.
Not a nit in my opinion. The extra step without a dribble directly leads to a shot that otherwise likely wouldn't be possible. But I'm not calling D1 games so take it for what it's worth.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you on the jab step. I see a lot of officials faked out by jab steps and shoulder fakes.
My only point is that HS officials miss a lot and I mean a lot of travels either that are not properly called or called that did not actually take place. HS officials IMO error on the side of "It looks funny, let me blow my whistle." I think mostly higher level officials tend to not call things they are not sure about. I think this particular play is not called hardly at all, because I have called these in games and I am the only one calling them. I do not think officials at all levels identify travels very well. And I know in this case live I would have probably also passed as I would have had trouble trying to figure out when he caught the ball with the right foot on the floor and would have passed.

I think HS officials love to talk about what is ignored while not being perfect themselves on these calls. That of course is not what I am saying about you, just an observation of when I watch and talk to high school only officials.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

No call

Good call

Get the call right
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My only point is that HS officials miss a lot and I mean a lot of travels either that are not properly called or called that did not actually take place. HS officials IMO error on the side of "It looks funny, let me blow my whistle."
From watching a season of JV games, this frequently seemed to be the case. One of the "looks funny" calls I would see is a post player making effective use of a pivot to take a large step after stepping the other way -- the distance covered would often seem to draw a travel call rather than the actual footwork.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
HS officials IMO error on the side of "It looks funny, let me blow my whistle."
I despise this philosophy.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I despise this philosophy.
To be fair I do not think it is an active philosophy, I think officials call a lot of travels that they hear people yelling about rather than calling it based on which foot is a pivot or they understand why they actually made the call based on the rules.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To be fair I do not think it is an active philosophy, I think officials call a lot of travels that they hear people yelling about rather than calling it based on which foot is a pivot or they understand why they actually made the call based on the rules.

Peace
Rarely will officials be honest to peers and say I blew my whistle because it looked funny. But, many times on a goofy travel call, I'll ask what they saw and what they say happened wasn't even close to the actual play. aka, they blew their whistle because it looked funny.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rarely will officials be honest to peers and say I blew my whistle because it looked funny. But, many times on a goofy travel call, I'll ask what they saw and what they say happened wasn't even close to the actual play. aka, they blew their whistle because it looked funny.
I have admitted to this couple times. Like "SH!P THAT HAD TO HAVE BEEN A TRAVEL."
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am a clinician in my state which means I can run camps or participate in camps. I tend to ask officials often about the travels they call, many times they do not give a reasonable explanation where it is clear they saw the play. I have even seen just basic moves being called a travel and the quick or obvious ones not ever called like when players run a bit before they dribble the ball.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 03:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hayfoot, Strawfoot ...

Quote:
I tend to ask officials often about the travels they call, many times they do not give a reasonable explanation where it is clear they saw the play.
Anytime a coach questions my travel call, or non call, I always respond with which foot (right, or left) I identified as the pivot foot, and what the illegal, or legal, move was. Telling a questioner which foot was the pivot foot tells them that I was really paying attention. Traveling is still the hardest call for me to make (especially at the end of a dribble), I'm sure that I make mistakes several times a season, but my explanation usually satisfies most coaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)