Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 12:24am
Courageous When Prudent

1) real speed he might not have thought he had gathered the pass immediately

2) No shot, still gathering ball

3) Obvious violation in his secondary
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

1. Yes, a travel. But it's not getting called at this level. The NBA application of "two beats" might as well be the NCAA rule at this point, considering how it's officiated.

2. Good call.

3. Hilarious travel for even a JV HS player to commit, let alone Malcom Brogdon.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
1. Yes, a travel. But it's not getting called at this level. The NBA application of "two beats" might as well be the NCAA rule at this point, considering how it's officiated.
So you think a high school official is getting this?

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

1. A travel that is not called as often as it should be. And yes I actually see this called more in HS than either college or NBA.

2. Definitely not in the act.

3. I'm glad one of the three got it.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
1. A travel that is not called as often as it should be. And yes I actually see this called more in HS than either college or NBA.
Play 1 is not a travel under NBA rules so there's nothing to call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

1. 100% a rulesbook travel for NFHS and NCAA. The player caught the pass with one foot on the floor and then stepped with his other foot, then again with the pivot foot. Unless I am mistaken the NBA rules deem this legal footwork as the moving player is permitted to come to a stop by stepping once with each foot. Therein lies the problem. We see so many games on TV in which this action is allowed that we become accustomed to it and don't process it as illegal. I would not whistle this in a HS or college game because it is not expected to be deemed a violation and I would be incorrect by rule. My only defense would be the speed of the play and not being sure whether the foot was off the court on the catch or not.

2. There are two fouls here by two different defenders. The first is a slap during the dribble. The second occurs when the player has the ball in two hands at chest height. If he goes up to shoot from there, I would deem the foul to be in the act of shooting, however he bring the ball down towards his waist and then goes back up. Therefore, this foul is prior to the act of shooting.

3. This is an egregious travel which allows the player to avoid a defender. One of the three officials must get this. Unfortunately, I think that the C needs to provide the help here and that the L can't be looking out there.

Separate question for the forum members. If you have to make a call such as this directly in front of a partner as happened in this video and the partner gets upset with you how do you react?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. 100% a rulesbook travel for NFHS and NCAA. The player caught the pass with one foot on the floor and then stepped with his other foot, then again with the pivot foot. Unless I am mistaken the NBA rules deem this legal footwork as the moving player is permitted to come to a stop by stepping once with each foot. Therein lies the problem. We see so many games on TV in which this action is allowed that we become accustomed to it and don't process it as illegal. I would not whistle this in a HS or college game because it is not expected to be deemed a violation and I would be incorrect by rule. My only defense would be the speed of the play and not being sure whether the foot was off the court on the catch or not.

2. There are two fouls here by two different defenders. The first is a slap during the dribble. The second occurs when the player has the ball in two hands at chest height. If he goes up to shoot from there, I would deem the foul to be in the act of shooting, however he bring the ball down towards his waist and then goes back up. Therefore, this foul is prior to the act of shooting.

3. This is an egregious travel which allows the player to avoid a defender. One of the three officials must get this. Unfortunately, I think that the C needs to provide the help here and that the L can't be looking out there.

Separate question for the forum members. If you have to make a call such as this directly in front of a partner as happened in this video and the partner gets upset with you how do you react?
I would apologize for being that far out of my primary but I happened to see it and felt I needed to make the call. Heck, I remember one time I had to make a back court violation call from the Lead position.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Regarding play #3: If I remember my Men's/NF mechanics, the official opposite the table has last-second shots, correct? If that's the case then the L calling the travel isn't horrible.

The T should have picked it up because he was on the shooter but the L really didn't have much to do with 0:01.7 remaining in the half. The four players in his primary were not - and weren't going to be - engaged in competitive match-ups. The C may have suffered brain lock as he waited for the last shot.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
I would apologize for being that far out of my primary but I happened to see it and felt I needed to make the call. Heck, I remember one time I had to make a back court violation call from the Lead position.
I wouldn't apologize. In fact if my partner got upset with me, or either of us, for calling such a blatant travel in front of him I would ask him what the heck he was looking at. OR even a blind man in the last row saw that one.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 08:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

I'm not concerned about a partner getting upset. I doubt very seriously any partner of mine would raise his voice to me.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with L getting this -- it was obvious, needed, and correct (or whatever the camp-speak is for getting these types of calls)
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

It could be that the T was screened or distracted by the fly-by of the defender.

On 1, there's no way I'm picking that nit. I'd be the only one calling that travel.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
On 1, there's no way I'm picking that nit. I'd be the only one calling that travel.
Unfortunately, I'm a agreeing with this. I see, and pass on, several travels a night for this reason.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I rarely see any high school official make this call. When you have high school officials call a simple jab step as a travel, I do not see them getting this one hardly at all.

Peace