The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   North Carolina St. @ Virginia (Video) 3 Plays to discuss (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100903-north-carolina-st-virginia-video-3-plays-discuss.html)

JRutledge Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:15am

North Carolina St. @ Virginia (Video) 3 Plays to discuss

Play #1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/00aLxbtfPec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play #2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VECiCpe8i0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Play #3:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3J7cT2kjxyM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Raymond Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:24am

1) real speed he might not have thought he had gathered the pass immediately

2) No shot, still gathering ball

3) Obvious violation in his secondary

MechanicGuy Tue Feb 16, 2016 01:03am

1. Yes, a travel. But it's not getting called at this level. The NBA application of "two beats" might as well be the NCAA rule at this point, considering how it's officiated.

2. Good call.

3. Hilarious travel for even a JV HS player to commit, let alone Malcom Brogdon.

JRutledge Tue Feb 16, 2016 01:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 981125)
1. Yes, a travel. But it's not getting called at this level. The NBA application of "two beats" might as well be the NCAA rule at this point, considering how it's officiated.

So you think a high school official is getting this?

Peace

Blindolbat Tue Feb 16, 2016 01:16am

1. A travel that is not called as often as it should be. And yes I actually see this called more in HS than either college or NBA.

2. Definitely not in the act.

3. I'm glad one of the three got it.

APG Tue Feb 16, 2016 02:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 981128)
1. A travel that is not called as often as it should be. And yes I actually see this called more in HS than either college or NBA.

Play 1 is not a travel under NBA rules so there's nothing to call.

Nevadaref Tue Feb 16, 2016 04:09am

1. 100% a rulesbook travel for NFHS and NCAA. The player caught the pass with one foot on the floor and then stepped with his other foot, then again with the pivot foot. Unless I am mistaken the NBA rules deem this legal footwork as the moving player is permitted to come to a stop by stepping once with each foot. Therein lies the problem. We see so many games on TV in which this action is allowed that we become accustomed to it and don't process it as illegal. I would not whistle this in a HS or college game because it is not expected to be deemed a violation and I would be incorrect by rule. My only defense would be the speed of the play and not being sure whether the foot was off the court on the catch or not.

2. There are two fouls here by two different defenders. The first is a slap during the dribble. The second occurs when the player has the ball in two hands at chest height. If he goes up to shoot from there, I would deem the foul to be in the act of shooting, however he bring the ball down towards his waist and then goes back up. Therefore, this foul is prior to the act of shooting.

3. This is an egregious travel which allows the player to avoid a defender. One of the three officials must get this. Unfortunately, I think that the C needs to provide the help here and that the L can't be looking out there.

Separate question for the forum members. If you have to make a call such as this directly in front of a partner as happened in this video and the partner gets upset with you how do you react?

billyu2 Tue Feb 16, 2016 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 981137)
1. 100% a rulesbook travel for NFHS and NCAA. The player caught the pass with one foot on the floor and then stepped with his other foot, then again with the pivot foot. Unless I am mistaken the NBA rules deem this legal footwork as the moving player is permitted to come to a stop by stepping once with each foot. Therein lies the problem. We see so many games on TV in which this action is allowed that we become accustomed to it and don't process it as illegal. I would not whistle this in a HS or college game because it is not expected to be deemed a violation and I would be incorrect by rule. My only defense would be the speed of the play and not being sure whether the foot was off the court on the catch or not.

2. There are two fouls here by two different defenders. The first is a slap during the dribble. The second occurs when the player has the ball in two hands at chest height. If he goes up to shoot from there, I would deem the foul to be in the act of shooting, however he bring the ball down towards his waist and then goes back up. Therefore, this foul is prior to the act of shooting.

3. This is an egregious travel which allows the player to avoid a defender. One of the three officials must get this. Unfortunately, I think that the C needs to provide the help here and that the L can't be looking out there.

Separate question for the forum members. If you have to make a call such as this directly in front of a partner as happened in this video and the partner gets upset with you how do you react?

I would apologize for being that far out of my primary but I happened to see it and felt I needed to make the call. Heck, I remember one time I had to make a back court violation call from the Lead position.

JetMetFan Tue Feb 16, 2016 07:32am

Regarding play #3: If I remember my Men's/NF mechanics, the official opposite the table has last-second shots, correct? If that's the case then the L calling the travel isn't horrible.

The T should have picked it up because he was on the shooter but the L really didn't have much to do with 0:01.7 remaining in the half. The four players in his primary were not - and weren't going to be - engaged in competitive match-ups. The C may have suffered brain lock as he waited for the last shot.

deecee Tue Feb 16, 2016 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 981139)
I would apologize for being that far out of my primary but I happened to see it and felt I needed to make the call. Heck, I remember one time I had to make a back court violation call from the Lead position.

I wouldn't apologize. In fact if my partner got upset with me, or either of us, for calling such a blatant travel in front of him I would ask him what the heck he was looking at. OR even a blind man in the last row saw that one.

Raymond Tue Feb 16, 2016 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 981137)

I'm not concerned about a partner getting upset. I doubt very seriously any partner of mine would raise his voice to me.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 16, 2016 09:01am

I have no problem with L getting this -- it was obvious, needed, and correct (or whatever the camp-speak is for getting these types of calls)

Rich Tue Feb 16, 2016 09:11am

It could be that the T was screened or distracted by the fly-by of the defender.

On 1, there's no way I'm picking that nit. I'd be the only one calling that travel.

MechanicGuy Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 981153)
On 1, there's no way I'm picking that nit. I'd be the only one calling that travel.

Unfortunately, I'm a agreeing with this. I see, and pass on, several travels a night for this reason.

JRutledge Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 981128)

I rarely see any high school official make this call. When you have high school officials call a simple jab step as a travel, I do not see them getting this one hardly at all.

Peace