The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 06:55pm
NFHS Official

Play 3. I don't understand what the trail is looking at. He isn't straight lined, the defender doesn't block his vision. It looks to me like he just passes on a blatant travel.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremred View Post
play 1: Not a travel at any level

play 2: Shooting foul

play 3: Travel but i wouldn't even be looking there. Not a crew saver.
0/3
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Play 3. I don't understand what the trail is looking at. He isn't straight lined, the defender doesn't block his vision. It looks to me like he just passes on a blatant travel.
By no means am I defending him, because it was so clearly and obviously a miss, but the only thing I can think is that the player's body was between him and the ball, and he incorrectly assumed that the player had to have taken a dribble, because what D1 athlete travels that bad?!!

A slightly analogous situation, the play that I call late or possibly miss the most especially at the varsity level or higher is double dribble. Not because it's a hard call to make, but it catches me off guard every single time, because what player doesn't realize that they can't do that? My only thought for play 3 is that the official incorrectly thought that he simply didn't see the dribble.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
By no means am I defending him, because it was so clearly and obviously a miss, but the only thing I can think is that the player's body was between him and the ball, and he incorrectly assumed that the player had to have taken a dribble, because what D1 athlete travels that bad?!!
Some people just don't think we should be calling travels. (Not saying that is the case for this official).