The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Playoff fees in SC

In South Carolina, an official gets $62 plus travel for one playoff game and $85 plus travel for a playoff doubleheader. The higher seeded team hosts the first three rounds. When the initial brackets come out, girls and boys are not scheduled to play on the same night. However, what happens sometimes is a school that's hosting a girls and boys playoff game will ask the SCHSL to move one of the games such that the girls and boys play back-to-back on the same night. As a result, the SCHSL sends only one crew of officials to the sight, and the officials receive the fee for a doubleheader rather than two separate games, which obviously is less.

Fair or foul?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 05:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
In South Carolina, an official gets $62 plus travel for one playoff game and $85 plus travel for a playoff doubleheader. The higher seeded team hosts the first three rounds. When the initial brackets come out, girls and boys are not scheduled to play on the same night. However, what happens sometimes is a school that's hosting a girls and boys playoff game will ask the SCHSL to move one of the games such that the girls and boys play back-to-back on the same night. As a result, the SCHSL sends only one crew of officials to the sight, and the officials receive the fee for a doubleheader rather than two separate games, which obviously is less.

Fair or foul?
What I think is unimportant. Thankfully working 2 games here pays twice what working 1 game pays.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In South Carolina, an official gets $62 plus travel for one playoff game and $85 plus travel for a playoff doubleheader.

As a result, the SCHSL sends only one crew of officials to the sight, and the officials receive the fee for a doubleheader rather than two separate games, which obviously is less.

Fair or foul?
FOUL!!

I can see paying only one travel fee for a double header. I could even see paying a little less for the 2nd game since there are other efficiencies in doing a double header. But, to pay less than 1/3 as much for the 2nd game as the first is just criminal.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 06:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why in the world would anyone think a crew working two playoff games in the same night is a good thing? Let alone both genders in the same night?

Peace
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm also willing to bet, that the girls play the first game, and after you've run the floor for four quarters, then you run for boys varsity.

Foul also. That's $42.50 per game. We get $45 for junior high games.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why in the world would anyone think a crew working two playoff games in the same night is a good thing? Let alone both genders in the same night?

Peace
This is SOP in South Carolina, public and private schools. Crews almost always work a girls/boys doubleheader during the regular season, and even during regular season tournaments it's almost always doubleheaders. In the postseason, the SCHSL assigns doubleheaders whenever possible based on the brackets. And I think that's true up until the state semifinals, where we go to one crew per game.

I wish I didn't have to work doubleheaders or girls basketball in general, but that's just not the way it goes in this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I'm also willing to bet, that the girls play the first game, and after you've run the floor for four quarters, then you run for boys varsity.
Yes, the girls play first whenever it's a DH.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

$85 for a playoff double header sounds insulting.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Bit rough there.

Ohio does sectional,districts,regional then state sites.

Only one game a night and your not allowed to do any other contest during the same day as a tournament aassignment.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

To determine whether or not this is a fair rate, I would need to know what you get during the regular season.

I can tell you that my area is $78 for regular season (2-man) and about $95 (2-man) for playoffs. Those are single game fees. There is no reduction for DHs.

3-man playoffs is about $70.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 10:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This is SOP in South Carolina, public and private schools. Crews almost always work a girls/boys doubleheader during the regular season, and even during regular season tournaments it's almost always doubleheaders. In the postseason, the SCHSL assigns doubleheaders whenever possible based on the brackets. And I think that's true up until the state semifinals, where we go to one crew per game.

I wish I didn't have to work doubleheaders or girls basketball in general, but that's just not the way it goes in this state.

Yes, the girls play first whenever it's a DH.
I understand this but it does not seem fair to the players to have officials working both games. I am sure there are officials like there are officials in my area that when they work two games take a break or do not give the same effort to both games equally because they have to work both games. I just think that is a silly model. And your comments make it clear that you like others might not care about one of the games as much as the other. To me give games to different officials and I am sure that is not impossible if you scheduled it correctly.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
To determine whether or not this is a fair rate, I would need to know what you get during the regular season.

I can tell you that my area is $78 for regular season (2-man) and about $95 (2-man) for playoffs. Those are single game fees. There is no reduction for DHs.

3-man playoffs is about $70.
Varsity fees in SC are $55 for a single regular season game and $78 for a DH. This is the game fee only, not the travel allowance which is included in the same check ($0.45 per mile per official, minimum $9.00).
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 11:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Varsity fees in SC are $55 for a single regular season game and $78 for a DH. This is the game fee only, not the travel allowance which is included in the same check ($0.45 per mile per official, minimum $9.00).
That's ridiculous. $23 for a varsity game. Likely they're using the "you're already there" reasoning which is complete BS.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I understand this but it does not seem fair to the players to have officials working both games. I am sure there are officials like there are officials in my area that when they work two games take a break or do not give the same effort to both games equally because they have to work both games. I just think that is a silly model. And your comments make it clear that you like others might not care about one of the games as much as the other. To me give games to different officials and I am sure that is not impossible if you scheduled it correctly.

Peace
Many things we do in SC are silly. It's why a lot of officials in my area work college ball or cross the border to work in Georgia. Which makes the powers that be upset .
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Many things we do in SC are silly. It's why a lot of officials in my area work college ball or cross the border to work in Georgia. Which makes the powers that be upset .
GA is that much better? Granted, I lived there 15 years ago but I don't remember the fees being great. I also remember working split DHs in the playoffs (i.e., 4 games at a site, one crew worked games 1 & 3, the other worked games 2 & 4). For the fees at the time it really wasn't worth it financially to only work one game.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Missouri uses a zone chart for district and state playoff games and pays a flat fee. For example, if you live between 0-40 miles from the game site there is a flat fee for that zone. If you live 41-80 miles away, the fee steps up to another flat rate, and so on. It is not quite as much as we make in the regular season, but it's close. The rates go up the further you go in the state playoffs.

I'll make a $78 flat rate for a sectional (first round of playoffs after district tournaments) that is about 15 miles from my house.