The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Fees, again

Hi men, hope everyone is having a good summer.

I was working a Summer wood bat league, some college, a couple of ex-professional people, and some older former college players. My partner did not show up for some reason, so I had 2 7's by myself.

Two pretty good games, with probably one screw-up on a base call by me.

My question: In your area what is the pay for this DH if you worked it?
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

DH Game Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post

I was working a Summer wood bat league, some college, a couple of ex-professional people, and some older former college players. My partner did not show up for some reason, so I had 2 7's by myself.

$120 for 2 7's, 2:30 time limit per game, 15 run rule after 4, 10 run rule after 5.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure about doubleheaders, but in my short experience (1.5 years), if my partner doesn't show up, I'd typically receive my game fee, plus half of my partner's.

However, I recently had a JV game where my partner didn't show up and we couldn't get in contact with him. Since it was a non-conference game and one school played spring league and one played summer, it was not likely the game would be made up at a different time. So the coaches agreed to play with just myself as umpire. At the end of the game the head coach of the home team informed me he would try and get me double pay for the game, which I ended up receiving.

An extra to that story - I contacted the assignor about the situation and the no-show. The assignor for that game couldn't get in contact with the no-show umpire, and ended up removing him from all his games for the rest of the summer and gave me the first choice to fill any games that the other umpire was removed from. I was able to pick up an extra two games from that.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 10:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post

Well, I see both sides of this. The teams would've had to pay 2 umpires a certain amount (let's say $100 to make the math easier) which means they would normally pay out $200.

But they didn't get 2 umpires. The teams would rightly say: This should only cost us $100 - we only got one umpire.

The umpire thinks: I had to make all the calls, I should get $200.

The assignor probably should fine the second guy whatever he wants ($50 or $100) and pay that money to the first guy and give $100 back to the teams.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

That was pretty much how we used to handle it also. It is not fair to charge the teams for more than the number of officials they get. So because the other official failed to show, (and there were NO exceptions or awards for the best excuses), they were fined the amount of that game fee which was used to pay the first official his pay for double duty, double fee.

At the begining of each season each official was instructed on this. You were committed once you submitted your availabilty. Last minute changes within 3 hours of gametime, could only be made and accepted by the assignor.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I have heard of associations fining their members and then get into hot water. The arguement is that since we are "independant contractors" we cannot be fined. If an association "fines" someone, that can be interpreted as an employee/employer situation, in which case unemployment taxes and such should be paid. There was a situation like this somewhere in the country where the state went after an umpire association for 70k in back taxes. I'm not a lawyer, just an FYI.

As far as working solo when two should have been there ... one guy, two sets of responsibilities. I'm getting at least my game fee and half of the other or they can have zero umpires and save all the $.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Here's the fine structure when a guy either pulls a no-show, or turns back too many games: The assignor says "Fine ... he won't be getting any more games!"

Then, a bunch of extra games pop up on the schedules of enthusiastic, reliable, diligent, nattily attired umpires like me.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
I have heard of associations fining their members and then get into hot water. The arguement is that since we are "independant contractors" we cannot be fined. If an association "fines" someone, that can be interpreted as an employee/employer situation, in which case unemployment taxes and such should be paid. There was a situation like this somewhere in the country where the state went after an umpire association for 70k in back taxes. I'm not a lawyer, just an FYI.

As far as working solo when two should have been there ... one guy, two sets of responsibilities. I'm getting at least my game fee and half of the other or they can have zero umpires and save all the $.
Except that they're not getting what they agreed to pay for.

As an umpire, I expect nothing extra (that way when I get more, I'm happy). I don't want a non-trained guy working the bases either, I can do better myself. If I get more, fine. If I don't, I make a mental note to push that assignor or team way down my list of who I'll work for. And the partner (unless it's someone with a good excuse) gets scratched.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
$120 for 2 7's, 2:30 time limit per game, 15 run rule after 4, 10 run rule after 5.
You really tell them there's a time limit and a mercy rule?
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Independent contractors can have independent contracts with predetermined agreements. Legally, I can't speak for the the Labor Departments determinations about this, (which I understand has varied from state to state) however, the officials other choice for doing our games was, NOT TO DO OUR GAMES.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Except that they're not getting what they agreed to pay for.

As an umpire, I expect nothing extra (that way when I get more, I'm happy). I don't want a non-trained guy working the bases either, I can do better myself. If I get more, fine. If I don't, I make a mental note to push that assignor or team way down my list of who I'll work for. And the partner (unless it's someone with a good excuse) gets scratched.
The teams agreed to pay 2X for 2 umpires. They now have 1 umpire and are paying 1 1/2 X. They're not paying more money. They're receiving a reduced service and an appropriate reduction in cost.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Time Limits and Mercy Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
You really tell them there's a time limit and a mercy rule?
It's in their league rules.

Yesterday, it was 97 with a heat index of 103. First game was full 7 in 2:05 and second was 2:10 with the 10 run rule in 5 1/2.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I got paid both umpire fees on Saturday for a college summer league game when my partner didn't show. I didn't ask for it, but got it.

I just don't understand how guys don't show up for games. I can't imagine not showing up for one of my games in either basketball or baseball, or even being late. I can see if there's a mix up in communication, but even that shouldn't happen much when we use the Arbiter for almost everything here. Being at your games and on time is one of the things you CAN control in regards of how you're perceived as an official (Like hustle and appearance).
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I got paid both umpire fees on Saturday for a college summer league game when my partner didn't show. I didn't ask for it, but got it.

I just don't understand how guys don't show up for games. I can't imagine not showing up for one of my games in either basketball or baseball, or even being late. I can see if there's a mix up in communication, but even that shouldn't happen much when we use the Arbiter for almost everything here. Being at your games and on time is one of the things you CAN control in regards of how you're perceived as an official (Like hustle and appearance).
I always call my partner the day before to confirm date-time-location...If I get voice mail, I make sure I call again until I get the person.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
It's in their league rules.

Yesterday, it was 97 with a heat index of 103. First game was full 7 in 2:05 and second was 2:10 with the 10 run rule in 5 1/2.
With one or two umpires?
The question relates specifically to one umpire when two umpires were scheduled.