The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

I can't comprehend how any location could pay less for a playoff game than a regular season contest.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I can't comprehend how any location could pay less for a playoff game than a regular season contest.
Sometimes regular season game fees are set locally while playoff game fees are set at the state level.

So if one locale has higher fees than another within the state, the playoff fee might be some "average" of those two (and all other locales), and the officials from the higher-paying locale will make less during the playoffs than during the regular season.

To the OP, if the regular season rate is 2 for $78 and the playoffs are 2 for $85, then that seems consistent. I'm not sure if you're complaining about the rate or that it was originally set as two separate dates and is now combined.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Sometimes regular season game fees are set locally while playoff game fees are set at the state level.

So if one locale has higher fees than another within the state, the playoff fee might be some "average" of those two (and all other locales), and the officials from the higher-paying locale will make less during the playoffs than during the regular season.

To the OP, if the regular season rate is 2 for $78 and the playoffs are 2 for $85, then that seems consistent. I'm not sure if you're complaining about the rate or that it was originally set as two separate dates and is now combined.
Yep. Our association negotiates game fees and mileage rates with the schools we serve. The state governing body doesn't set rates with schools for regular season games, only district/playoff rates.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's ridiculous. $23 for a varsity game. Likely they're using the "you're already there" reasoning which is complete BS.
This.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:22am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why in the world would anyone think a crew working two playoff games in the same night is a good thing? Let alone both genders in the same night?

Peace
Here we work two games (boys and girls) every night. Regular season and playoffs. The only time we don't is during the state tournament. At that time you just work 1 game, and these are 2 man crews with the exception of the highest 2 classes.

$90 for 2 games plus mileage for first 2 rounds. $110 for third round. $65 per game at state tournament. Regular season games is $120/2 games no mileage. Some schools pay $130, some pay $110. We have no set regular season fees, the schools can pay whatever they want. I've had some 3 man games and received anywhere from $100 to $130 for two games.

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Feb 16, 2016 at 11:28am.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Here we work two games (boys and girls) every night. Regular season and playoffs. The only time we don't is during the state tournament. At that time you just work 1 game, and these are 2 man crews with the exception of the highest 2 classes.

$90 for 2 games plus mileage for first 2 rounds. $110 for third round. $65 per game at state tournament. Regular season games is $120/2 games no mileage. Some schools pay $130, some pay $110. We have no set regular season fees, the schools can pay whatever they want. I've had some 3 man games and received anywhere from $100 to $130 for two games.
You guys are getting hosed.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post

I usually get paid around $60-70 dollars for a single varsity 3 person game and only one game. I get paid more for a college game than you would get paid for two high school games.

I am so glad that our state does not like that model for varsity games. The only way would would work a state playoff game double header is if someone is hurt and we happened to be there to cover the game.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

We get about $53 for a 3-person here in Oregon. $63 for a 2-person.
Do 2 games get 2x pay.

Sub-rounds in playoffs which are all 2-person currently get a $5 bump.
Championship rounds which are all 2-person get a $10 bump.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
We get about $53 for a 3-person here in Oregon. $63 for a 2-person.
Do 2 games get 2x pay.

Sub-rounds in playoffs which are all 2-person currently get a $5 bump.
Championship rounds which are all 2-person get a $10 bump.
Is Oregon taking well to 3-person?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
In South Carolina, an official gets $62 plus travel for one playoff game and $85 plus travel for a playoff doubleheader. The higher seeded team hosts the first three rounds. When the initial brackets come out, girls and boys are not scheduled to play on the same night. However, what happens sometimes is a school that's hosting a girls and boys playoff game will ask the SCHSL to move one of the games such that the girls and boys play back-to-back on the same night. As a result, the SCHSL sends only one crew of officials to the sight, and the officials receive the fee for a doubleheader rather than two separate games, which obviously is less.

Fair or foul?
In Michigan we generally do pay less for a second game of a double header in most sports for regular season play. We generally don't have the same crew work both games of a playoff round (we go districts, regionals, QF, SF, Final).

The districts often have a night or two of two games per night. In basketball it is generally a different crew for each night. Volleyball it is the same crew. For the regional semi-finals it is the same as two game night districts. Each crew works one game. The rest of the bracket is single games, so each crew only works one game. The only exception is the state finals, which have all 4 classes on the same day, but each crew works only 1 game.

For post-season play the MHSAA does not pay mileage until you reach a certain distance from home. After that distance they do pay a mileage rate.

The rates for post-season are similar, if not less than what schools pay during the regular season.

Michigan (for the regular season) is different than many other states. In many states, there is a set fee paid by each school to officials all across the state. In Michigan it differs based on the conference, school, or association agreed rate.

For example, in swimming and diving, I work two difference conferences. One pays $55 for a dual meet, the other pays $50, and neither pay mileage. A third conference pays $45, but they also pay extra for exhibition heats, which is something my conferences don't pay. None of them pay mileage. The MHSAA sets the fees for post-season contests across the state.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Is Oregon taking well to 3-person?
It has varied.

I think we tried to bring too many people into 3-person all at once....the R's have been 3-person experience but the other two often are new at it. Some have picked it up fairly well while others havn't. As a result, there have been a couple crews I've been on that really struggled

One official can really mess things up by forcing the others to try to figure out where they need to go to make sure the play gets covered.

I've also been on several where it has been great to have the 3rd....where there are plays that you know were covered better because of that extra angle you could defer to on some plays.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 06:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It has varied.

I think we tried to bring too many people into 3-person all at once....the R's have been 3-person experience but the other two often are new at it. Some have picked it up fairly well while others havn't. As a result, there have been a couple crews I've been on that really struggled

One official can really mess things up by forcing the others to try to figure out where they need to go to make sure the play gets covered.

I've also been on several where it has been great to have the 3rd....where there are plays that you know were covered better because of that extra angle you could defer to on some plays.
My experience is that you can do well with 2 people who have experience and a newer person, but that 1 strong official can't really compensate for 2.

I love it, though. 44th varsity game tonight and I've done all 44 3-person this year.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It has varied.

Unfortunately the whole State has not adopted it. I'll say that at least in my area, the player, coaches, and athletic directors love it.
The officials that have struggled are the same ones that haven't adapted to new rules over the years. A little stubborn in the old ways of everything. The key with the new people to 3-person was just get them to relax and referee and worry about the positioning later. I think we'll see a lot of people that have never gone to camps, do so this year.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I've posted this before............

Just for comparison, in North Dakota, our fees are:

Class A Basketball (18 min halves): Varsity $73.50 - Soph/JV $40.50
Class B Basketball (8 min quarters): Varsity $71.50 -Soph/JV $40.50
Freshman: $35
7th-8th Grade: $30

**Rates are the same whether it is 2 or 3 person crews. Nearly all varsity games are 3 person crews.

**Mileage: Our state pays the state rate of $.54 per mile for the driver. Any round trip over 100 miles includes $.05 per mile for the riders.

** Playoff Fees:
Class B Region $79.50
Class A Region $82
Class B State $94
Class A State $97.50
Meal Allowance:
Home officials: $8 (Region) $12 (State)
Away officials: $15 (Region) $28 (State)

Lodging also provided by the NDHSAA dependent upon game times and travel distance. Typically over 75 miles they put you in a hotel room rather than pay mileage back and forth each day.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My experience is that you can do well with 2 people who have experience and a newer person, but that 1 strong official can't really compensate for 2.

I love it, though. 44th varsity game tonight and I've done all 44 3-person this year.
I agree. One new official to 3-person can be carried comfortably. Two, for me, is nearly impossible.