The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Rule 10-6-5

Trying to get a clear understanding of Rule 10-6-5 "A player shall not use the forearm and/or hand to prevent an opponent from attacking the ball during a dribble or when throwing for goal”.

A1 dribbling the ball, facing her basket, with her arm extended out, elbow bent, forearm in front of her, “protecting” the ball. No foul or violation if she is by herself. If B1, while guarding A1, tries to steal the ball, but cannot due to A1's extended forearm, but there is no contact, then no foul. If B1 legally attempts to steal the ball, and initiates contact with the extended forearm of A1, PC foul on A1.

Do I have this correct?
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

This is a HTBT situation. Sometimes that arm is out but not used to do anything. It really depends if you feel it actually was used to shield a player from the ball. Otherwise you call what you see and you could have a PC foul or you could have a foul on the defender. I just know that players with their arms out is common, but that does not mean in many cases they are not fouled first.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

If I deem that her arm is out there to protect the ball, in violation of 10-6-5, then wouldn't all contact with that arm be a PC foul?
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If I deem that her arm is out there to protect the ball, in violation of 10-6-5, then wouldn't all contact with that arm be a PC foul?
Only contact that hinders the opponent from performing normal offensive or defensive movements.

That said, watch the guys and gals who are getting the games you want to work; see if they're making this call.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Was this ever not a rule? (Like, in the past 15 years)? I was always taught to use my off-hand to protect while dribbling...
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Yep...if it is enough to cause and advantage. Merely contact, no.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yep...if it is enough to cause and advantage. Merely contact, no.
OK, got it - thanks!
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spret93 View Post
Was this ever not a rule? (Like, in the past 15 years)? I was always taught to use my off-hand to protect while dribbling...
Bad coaching has been around forever.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spret93 View Post
It's been in the book for more than 15 years.

I think the emphasis should be on the word "use" in the rule -- which implies (to me) some sort of movement / action. It's not just "placing" the hand in a position which inhibits the defense.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 01:10pm
High Five Master

I don't know about anyone else but the way the rule is written, a and generally read, and the way the OP poses the question, I've never seen it called. Ever.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I don't know about anyone else but the way the rule is written, a and generally read, and the way the OP poses the question, I've never seen it called. Ever.
Do you watch or officiate high school basketball? This is a pretty standard call with players using off-arm to gain an advantage.

Thinking about this play... they've even called it in the NBA. On players like Kobe, Wayde, etc. when attacking the rim. How have you not seen this?
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Do you watch or officiate high school basketball? This is a pretty standard call with players using off-arm to gain an advantage.

Thinking about this play... they've even called it in the NBA. On players like Kobe, Wayde, etc. when attacking the rim. How have you not seen this?
Using the forearm to "clear a path" to the basket is called. At the youngest levels, many kids just stand there dribbling the ball using the forearm to protect the ball - sometimes with the encouragement of a parent or coach. Fouls are rarely called on the stationary dribbler who is protecting the ball with their forearm.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Using the forearm to "clear a path" to the basket is called. At the youngest levels, many kids just stand there dribbling the ball using the forearm to protect the ball - sometimes with the encouragement of a parent or coach. Fouls are rarely called on the stationary dribbler who is protecting the ball with their forearm.
Younger level games are just officiated differently.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 02:59pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post

This, Dad, was what I was referring to. This play is not called at any level. Pushing off, of course is a PC foul. But just protecting a defender from attacking the ball is never called.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 03:03pm
High Five Master

And because my books are at work....yes! Day off today!!!!, does anyone have case plays that would have it being called by the letter, just using the arm to prevent a steal attempt?