The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Would you put the ball in play or wait?

Less than a minute left in the 4th and the game is tied.

V coach: no issues all game
H coach: almost no issues all game, but giving him zero benefit of the doubt for acting like a clown on calls he didn't like

60s TO was called and after the 15s warning V come out onto the court ready to play. Ball is Vs for a throw-in under their basket. H team is also warned at the 15s warning and then is making zero move to be on the court after the 60s TO is over. I'm the lead to administer the throw-in. I walked a few steps onto the court to blow my whistle and tell H coach I'm putting the ball in play. Still blabbing and no sign of rushing his team out onto the floor.

Do you give V the ball?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I issue a ROP warning.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I issue a ROP warning.
The throw-in team was ready.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

If this had gone on all game now's a tough time to start. If the coaches were decent I'd give him another warning "coach we're starting." if they aren't immediate to end the huddle Ill put the ball in play. When they all run out to now play defense Ill also make sure only 5 entered the court.

Usually im in a huddle from the start reminding at first horn and getting a team out. If they still dilly dally i tell my partner to put the ball in. Have only had an issue once but after putting the ball down and starting the count after the players broke the huddle after a warning or two and then just taking their sweet time. Didn't have an issue after that.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 12:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Not a chance I put it in play here.

So this one time they take advantage of me? Fine. I'm in the huddle breaking it up but I'm not letting the other official(s) put it in play without a defense.

I've been on YouTube once -- no desire to make it there a second time.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

If I haven't addressed it prior to this point in the game, I'm not gonna screw someone at this point either.

One thing I'll normally do is when the 15s warning sounds, as I walk toward the huddle to remind them to finish it up, I'll give a quick short blast on my whistle. If I've noticed a team is normally slow to break up, I'll try to position myself near the head coach so that if the buzzer sounds to end the time out, I'm blowing my whistle again, and this time, the coach's ear is probably gonna ring for a couple seconds afterward.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Rich;980375]Not a chance I put it in play here.

So this one time they take advantage of me? Fine. I'm in the huddle breaking it up but I'm not letting the other official(s) put it in play without a defense.

I've been on YouTube once -- no desire to make it there a second time.[/QUOTE]

Coward
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 12:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There was a football game here a few years ago where the defense was slow coming out.

The R hit the ready-for-play with no defense, the ball was snapped, and the offense scored an easy touchdown.

Sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not a chance I put it in play here.

I've been on YouTube once -- no desire to make it there a second time.
What are you going to do when the administering official doesn't want to wait any longer, blows their whistle, and hands the ball to V?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
If I haven't addressed it prior to this point in the game, I'm not gonna screw someone at this point either.

One thing I'll normally do is when the 15s warning sounds, as I walk toward the huddle to remind them to finish it up, I'll give a quick short blast on my whistle. If I've noticed a team is normally slow to break up, I'll try to position myself near the head coach so that if the buzzer sounds to end the time out, I'm blowing my whistle again, and this time, the coach's ear is probably gonna ring for a couple seconds afterward.
Same with me. It may not be in the mechanics book, but you'd be amazed at how a team will react to a whistle instead of just saying, "2nd Horn," or something like that.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:04pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
What are you going to do when the administering official doesn't want to wait any longer, blows their whistle, and hands the ball to V?
Probably, blow my whistle to stop play, crouch down, and tie my shoelace.

Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

"...Hold up, we got a wet spot on the floor here, let me get a towel..." Haha, I've done this before for a kid who took a shot to the jewels and just needed a second to breath before he shot some free throws.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

Been there . . . done that. (It doesn't fool anybody, but it seems better for the atmosphere of the game.)
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
The throw-in team was ready.
Doesn't matter.

What does matter, though, is that my mindset was NCAAW, not FED.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:57pm
High Five Master

I would say all the answers above are spot on with this caveat: use your judgement. If you are in the huddle giving warnings, hitting whistle etc and it only takes a few seconds, fine. But at some point, you have to decide when the penalty will be you just putting the ball in play. Would they get this same amount of discretion if it was the first quarter or in a blowout? If yes, then there isn't an issue. If not, need to be considering a penalty for not returning to floor and delaying the game.