The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Put the ball in play? NOT. A. CHANCE.

I would absolutely give a Delay of Game warning BEFORE I went to ROP...I would do just about anything in my power to avoid administering the ball w/ only one team on the floor of a tied game in the last couple of minutes.

BTW - if you do that, you should know that it's not just a "free 2 points" for one team...it's going to be potentially 6 or 7 points - the coach is going to get a T and the resulting penalty will add 2FT's and the ball...
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:25pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post

I would absolutely give a Delay of Game warning BEFORE I went to ROP...I would do just about anything in my power to avoid administering the ball w/ only one team on the floor of a tied game in the last couple of minutes.

BTW - if you do that, you should know that it's not just a "free 2 points" for one team...it's going to be potentially 6 or 7 points - the coach is going to get a T and the resulting penalty will add 2FT's and the ball...
This would be incorrect by rule in HS.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Considering the source, it's not a shocker...
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:49pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post

Ok, but nobody seems willing to answer how long you stand there asking please before you consider it a refusal to play.....not that this would happen in a tie ballgame but worst case scenario, what are the options by rule?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 03:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

The problem is this should have never gotten to this point. RFP should have been used long time ago. I have even used it after the teams have broken the huddle so that they know we are not waiting on them. But late in the game is too late to start getting all caught up in the RFP when you have not taken care of this situation all game long.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 04:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The problem is this should have never gotten to this point. RFP should have been used long time ago. I have even used it after the teams have broken the huddle so that they know we are not waiting on them. But late in the game is too late to start getting all caught up in the RFP when you have not taken care of this situation all game long.

Peace
Based on the original post, this *hasn't* been an issue all game long.

So I'm not bothered if they take an extra few seconds here.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Ok, but nobody seems willing to answer how long you stand there asking please before you consider it a refusal to play.....not that this would happen in a tie ballgame but worst case scenario, what are the options by rule?
I referenced this a little but here is what I would do. I would wait until the team has broken the huddle and it appears we have 5 players, then give the team the ball. Then when they are not in position to defend, then they will realize we are not waiting. Because if you don't use the rule, then the other team has a right to bitch and complain. Again, but I hope I would have done something long before this to prevent this from getting to that point. I have done this early in a game and usually it ends the problems with us trying to get them out of the huddle.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post

I'm probably giving the coach a bit of leeway here, but frankly, if you think you can call a DOG warning here you really need to go back and re-read the DOG rules.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:19pm
High Five Master

Again, I ask: what penalty is there for this coach? Do you wait a few seconds (I'm ok with that), how about 10, 15,20? At what point is he getting an unfair advantage over the other team? I realize this isn't one of the four DOG situations, so what other penalty is there other than putting ball in play after a few tweets and "ball is coming into play"
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Again, I ask: what penalty is there for this coach? Do you wait a few seconds (I'm ok with that), how about 10, 15,20? At what point is he getting an unfair advantage over the other team? I realize this isn't one of the four DOG situations, so what other penalty is there other than putting ball in play after a few tweets and "ball is coming into play"
One of us is getting into the huddle. If he flat out ignores us, we'll eventually have to put it in play, but I'm going to be able to accurately tell my assigner I did everything I could. The only rule-supported response is ROP, and in some areas it would be the right thing to do. Most places want you to figure out a way to get him back on the court. In the end, though, there's only one remedy, but it's essentially the nuclear option.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:41pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
One of us is getting into the huddle. If he flat out ignores us, we'll eventually have to put it in play, but I'm going to be able to accurately tell my assigner I did everything I could. The only rule-supported response is ROP, and in some areas it would be the right thing to do. Most places want you to figure out a way to get him back on the court. In the end, though, there's only one remedy, but it's essentially the nuclear option.

Ok. This was what I thought but wanted to hear it from someone else as well. Seemed like guys were kinda dancing around it. I've found as soon as I say "that wouldn't happen in my games" then that is exactly what happens to me so I'm glad we at least have the same opinion about the worst case scenario and the rule
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Just grant him another timeout!
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 08:21pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Ha! I almost proffered this earlier as a half ass (1/4 ass?) reasonable option. I know it's not an option by rule but I bet if somebody did it, he wouldn't dawdle ever again
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And if he's out of timeouts, make sure you whack him as you do this!!
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Here, we are near the huddles trying to get them out before the second horn goes. It works fairly well as long as you dont have the guy(s) that after the first horn they wander off to wherever they are supposed to be when play resumes.