The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Would you put the ball in play or wait? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100861-would-you-put-ball-play-wait.html)

Dad Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:42am

Would you put the ball in play or wait?

Less than a minute left in the 4th and the game is tied.

V coach: no issues all game
H coach: almost no issues all game, but giving him zero benefit of the doubt for acting like a clown on calls he didn't like

60s TO was called and after the 15s warning V come out onto the court ready to play. Ball is Vs for a throw-in under their basket. H team is also warned at the 15s warning and then is making zero move to be on the court after the 60s TO is over. I'm the lead to administer the throw-in. I walked a few steps onto the court to blow my whistle and tell H coach I'm putting the ball in play. Still blabbing and no sign of rushing his team out onto the floor.

Do you give V the ball?

bob jenkins Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46am

I issue a ROP warning.

Dad Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 980366)
I issue a ROP warning.

The throw-in team was ready.

deecee Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:04pm

If this had gone on all game now's a tough time to start. If the coaches were decent I'd give him another warning "coach we're starting." if they aren't immediate to end the huddle Ill put the ball in play. When they all run out to now play defense Ill also make sure only 5 entered the court.

Usually im in a huddle from the start reminding at first horn and getting a team out. If they still dilly dally i tell my partner to put the ball in. Have only had an issue once but after putting the ball down and starting the count after the players broke the huddle after a warning or two and then just taking their sweet time. Didn't have an issue after that.

Rich Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:17pm

Not a chance I put it in play here.

So this one time they take advantage of me? Fine. I'm in the huddle breaking it up but I'm not letting the other official(s) put it in play without a defense.

I've been on YouTube once -- no desire to make it there a second time.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:40pm

If I haven't addressed it prior to this point in the game, I'm not gonna screw someone at this point either.

One thing I'll normally do is when the 15s warning sounds, as I walk toward the huddle to remind them to finish it up, I'll give a quick short blast on my whistle. If I've noticed a team is normally slow to break up, I'll try to position myself near the head coach so that if the buzzer sounds to end the time out, I'm blowing my whistle again, and this time, the coach's ear is probably gonna ring for a couple seconds afterward. :p

PG_Ref Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:44pm

[QUOTE=Rich;980375]Not a chance I put it in play here.

So this one time they take advantage of me? Fine. I'm in the huddle breaking it up but I'm not letting the other official(s) put it in play without a defense.

I've been on YouTube once -- no desire to make it there a second time.[/QUOTE]

Coward :p

Rich Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:46pm

There was a football game here a few years ago where the defense was slow coming out.

The R hit the ready-for-play with no defense, the ball was snapped, and the offense scored an easy touchdown.

Sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture.

Dad Wed Feb 10, 2016 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 980375)
Not a chance I put it in play here.

I've been on YouTube once -- no desire to make it there a second time.

What are you going to do when the administering official doesn't want to wait any longer, blows their whistle, and hands the ball to V?

frezer11 Wed Feb 10, 2016 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 980378)
If I haven't addressed it prior to this point in the game, I'm not gonna screw someone at this point either.

One thing I'll normally do is when the 15s warning sounds, as I walk toward the huddle to remind them to finish it up, I'll give a quick short blast on my whistle. If I've noticed a team is normally slow to break up, I'll try to position myself near the head coach so that if the buzzer sounds to end the time out, I'm blowing my whistle again, and this time, the coach's ear is probably gonna ring for a couple seconds afterward. :p

Same with me. It may not be in the mechanics book, but you'd be amazed at how a team will react to a whistle instead of just saying, "2nd Horn," or something like that.

jTheUmp Wed Feb 10, 2016 02:04pm

Quote:

What are you going to do when the administering official doesn't want to wait any longer, blows their whistle, and hands the ball to V?
Probably, blow my whistle to stop play, crouch down, and tie my shoelace.

:)

frezer11 Wed Feb 10, 2016 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 980385)

"...Hold up, we got a wet spot on the floor here, let me get a towel..." Haha, I've done this before for a kid who took a shot to the jewels and just needed a second to breath before he shot some free throws.

Rob1968 Wed Feb 10, 2016 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 980385)

Been there . . . done that. (It doesn't fool anybody, but it seems better for the atmosphere of the game.)

bob jenkins Wed Feb 10, 2016 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 980370)
The throw-in team was ready.

Doesn't matter.

What does matter, though, is that my mindset was NCAAW, not FED.

BlueDevilRef Wed Feb 10, 2016 02:57pm

I would say all the answers above are spot on with this caveat: use your judgement. If you are in the huddle giving warnings, hitting whistle etc and it only takes a few seconds, fine. But at some point, you have to decide when the penalty will be you just putting the ball in play. Would they get this same amount of discretion if it was the first quarter or in a blowout? If yes, then there isn't an issue. If not, need to be considering a penalty for not returning to floor and delaying the game.