The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 09:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Here, we are near the huddles trying to get them out before the second horn goes. It works fairly well as long as you dont have the guy(s) that after the first horn they wander off to wherever they are supposed to be when play resumes.
That's how we do it here, too, but occasionally you get one who just won't break huddle.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Just grant him another timeout!
He was out of time outs.

As Rich said, wasn't an issue all game until the end.

Did have an issue with the coach being a clown taking 117seconds to get a sub in for a fouled out player. I wasn't the one administering the whole thing so I stayed out of it. V coach kept saying, "It's well past 20s."
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Another perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Less than a minute left in the 4th and the game is tied.

V coach: no issues all game
H coach: almost no issues all game, but giving him zero benefit of the doubt for acting like a clown on calls he didn't like

60s TO was called and after the 15s warning V come out onto the court ready to play. Ball is Vs for a throw-in under their basket. H team is also warned at the 15s warning and then is making zero move to be on the court after the 60s TO is over. I'm the lead to administer the throw-in. I walked a few steps onto the court to blow my whistle and tell H coach I'm putting the ball in play. Still blabbing and no sign of rushing his team out onto the floor.

Do you give V the ball?
Dad, so you are saying the V coach has been no problem all game and he has his players ready to play following an important time out near the end of the contest. On the other hand, the H coach has the audacity to act like a clown on all calls that he didn't like during the game to the point that you are giving him zero benefit of any doubt? I would say that is a major issue. And then he has the audacity to take an undeserved advantage by coaching his team in the huddle well-after this important time out ended? In my opinion, you and your partners should have put a stop to the "clowning" antics real early. Perhaps that might have prevented the coach from putting you on the spot later in the game. If not, and you went ahead and allowed V the throw-in, he would have had no one but himself to blame. I'm normally pretty easy going; but when a coach wants to play hardball, I can play that game too.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Same with me. It may not be in the mechanics book, but you'd be amazed at how a team will react to a whistle instead of just saying, "2nd Horn," or something like that.
At the first horn I'll say "first horn, out on the second."
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was out of time outs.

Did have an issue with the coach being a clown taking 117seconds to get a sub in for a fouled out player. I wasn't the one administering the whole thing so I stayed out of it. V coach kept saying, "It's well past 20s."
Coach took 2 minutes and nothing was done
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was out of time outs.

117 seconds? Is that a typo? Because he shouldn't get this type of leeway on something like this. If there isn't someone at least starting to go toward the bench at 20, we're shooting free throws. How in the world could it go that long?
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
117 seconds? Is that a typo? Because he shouldn't get this type of leeway on something like this. If there isn't someone at least starting to go toward the bench at 20, we're shooting free throws. How in the world could it go that long?
It was around two minutes; I could be off by 5-10 seconds. I'm not sure how it went that long, but I wasn't going to go over and get in my partner(s) business.

In case anyone is wondering what did happen: I was the lead official who gave the ball to V which ended up in an uncontested 2-pointer. At the time it seemed like the correct way to go after blowing my whistle and telling the coach I was starting(Then having him ignore me like he did the official telling him it was time to go). After I got home and thought about the play I regretted how I handled the ordeal. Was probably my most frustrating game(s) all season by a long shot, for several reasons.

1) The girls game was a great game, but was decided after I called a T on the home team. Girl was mouthing off after a call, which I let go. Then started talking again, which I let go. Then slammed the ball down for the entire world to see right in front of the V bench/fans. Couldn't justify letting that one go, so had to deal with the home fans calling me a cheater for the majority of the BV game.

2) Coach, who I gave the benefit of the doubt, asked a "question" which was really just wanting to tell me the foul I had was garbage and would I start making better calls. He only had five players, in his opinion, that knew how to play basketball. So he got upset at about half the foul calls. After my response to his statement that my calls were garbage he left me alone for the rest of the game.

3) The two minutes to replace a player drove me nuts.

4) He ran in front of my partner, on the court, to b**** about a foul he thought was a travel. I would've given him an easy tech here, but partner let him off the hook.

The one interesting part was after I gave V coach the ball, the H coach didn't have the balls to get angry at me. He got mad at one of my partners, who then told him I warned you coach and that was the end of that. Other partner was some D1 guy that worked some voodoo magic on the coach to shut him up. V were up by two, H has the ball and dribbles it out of bounds against a phantom defender. Then, with plenty of time left, the H coach tells his team not to foul???? V dribbles it out, ball game.

I'm just somewhat frustrated at myself because I'm pretty sure I did what I did out of frustration and not thinking clearly. Even though at the time I thought I was.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was around two minutes; I could be off by 5-10 seconds. I'm not sure how it went that long, but I wasn't going to go over and get in my partner(s) business.

In case anyone is wondering what did happen: I was the lead official who gave the ball to V which ended up in an uncontested 2-pointer. At the time it seemed like the correct way to go after blowing my whistle and telling the coach I was starting(Then having him ignore me like he did the official telling him it was time to go). After I got home and thought about the play I regretted how I handled the ordeal. Was probably my most frustrating game(s) all season by a long shot, for several reasons.

1) The girls game was a great game, but was decided after I called a T on the home team. Girl was mouthing off after a call, which I let go. Then started talking again, which I let go. Then slammed the ball down for the entire world to see right in front of the V bench/fans. Couldn't justify letting that one go, so had to deal with the home fans calling me a cheater for the majority of the BV game.

2) Coach, who I gave the benefit of the doubt, asked a "question" which was really just wanting to tell me the foul I had was garbage and would I start making better calls. He only had five players, in his opinion, that knew how to play basketball. So he got upset at about half the foul calls. After my response to his statement that my calls were garbage he left me alone for the rest of the game.

3) The two minutes to replace a player drove me nuts.

4) He ran in front of my partner, on the court, to b**** about a foul he thought was a travel. I would've given him an easy tech here, but partner let him off the hook.

The one i[/B]nteresting part was after I gave V coach the ball, the H coach didn't have the balls to get angry at me. He got mad at one of my partners, who then told him I warned you coach and that was the end of that. Other partner was some D1 guy that worked some voodoo magic on the coach to shut him up. V were up by two, H has the ball and dribbles it out of bounds against a phantom defender. Then, with plenty of time left, the H coach tells his team not to foul???? V dribbles it out, ball game.

I'm just somewhat frustrated at myself because I'm pretty sure I did what I did out of frustration and not thinking clearly. Even though at the time I thought I was.
Someone should of.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Dad--
Sounds like that coach needed to focus more on coaching his kids up and less on your calls. His lack of coaching at the end is what cost him, not you putting the ball in play. I have no problem with any of what you did and would tell you that in the locker room after the game. Even if there was another way about it, if a guy has been that way to me all game and I've obliged him with a long leash, I'm going by the letter of the rulebook which says allows for resumption of play on second horn. If the guy can't figure things out at this point in the season, that's on him. Not you. If he calls off the dogs in a close game where the team still had a chance, that's on him. Not you. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In case anyone is wondering what did happen: I was the lead official who gave the ball to V which ended up in an uncontested 2-pointer. At the time it seemed like the correct way to go after blowing my whistle and telling the coach I was starting(Then having him ignore me like he did the official telling him it was time to go). After I got home and thought about the play I regretted how I handled the ordeal.
There is sometimes a kind-of middle ground on this. Especially if the inbounding team is in their BC (so it takes some amount of time to get the ball to the FC to score).

After all the warnings you gave, step back, blow the whistle loud and long. Then take a deep breath and wait a couple of seconds and then give the ball to the inbounding team fairly slowly (hand it to them, don't bounce it).

This technique works in the 1Q to help speed things up for the 4Q
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I am a stickler for keeping the game moving. On foul outs as soon as I tell the coach I inform the timer to give me a 20 second timer, after 5 seconds (no matter how many times I tell timers before the game that we get a horn AT 15 seconds remaining on all official clock stoppages, even foul outs) I have them hit the horn.

I tell the coach he HAS to have someone at the table before the 20 seconds ends. Closest it ever got was kid got there at the same time as the horn. The few times coaches try and get mouthy I have a standard response, "coach just get me the sub lets not make things worse."

This is not the time IMO to have a discussion with the coach, it rarely goes well. The few times a partner is moving way to slow I will step in to remind the timer and the coach that we need to get moving.

Since I pregame this all the time it's not my fault my partner goes off script. For the most part this isn't an issue.

2 minutes would NEVER happen in a game I'm on. By 30 seconds I've got my nose in the process, by 45 seconds if we are still in the same spot I'm Ting if my partner is unable to get things rolling. What's my partner going to say, "Just because I don't have the balls to take care of business why are you such an a-hole?"
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Dad--
Sounds like that coach needed to focus more on coaching his kids up and less on your calls. His lack of coaching at the end is what cost him, not you putting the ball in play. I have no problem with any of what you did and would tell you that in the locker room after the game. Even if there was another way about it, if a guy has been that way to me all game and I've obliged him with a long leash, I'm going by the letter of the rulebook which says allows for resumption of play on second horn. If the guy can't figure things out at this point in the season, that's on him. Not you. If he calls off the dogs in a close game where the team still had a chance, that's on him. Not you. Don't lose any sleep over it.
If you have obliged a coach with a long leash the whole game it's not good practice, or fair, to shorten it up so suddenly at the end of the game. The leash is set in the first quarter or the first time a coach acts up and how you respond.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
He was out of time outs.

I may grant leeway on the timeout huddle thing in this situation, but there's no way we're taking even a single minute to replace a disqualified player. Unless the sub is on his way as I'm finishing the word "five", my next words are to the timer.

I also know you can't step in and do this when you're partner is handling it, but at some point, I'm probably going to have to consider stepping in. It's amazing how fast they move when that first horn sounds.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're part of the crew and he's wasting your time too. It's your business.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 01:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Someone should of.
One of my pet peeves.

Notify the coach, START THE CLOCK. Make sure the horn goes in FIVE seconds. Get to the coach, "I need a sub...."

Dead time in this situation is simply not good for anyone.