The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
End of Game Procedure

Team A up by 10, A1 fouls B1 as time expires on a shot. No FTs to shoot as it has no bearing on game. Are you still going to table to report the foul and then ending the game? Or just simply ending the game and heading to the locker room?
__________________
"They don't play the game because we show up to officiate it"
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Team A up by 10, A1 fouls B1 as time expires on a shot. No FTs to shoot as it has no bearing on game. Are you still going to table to report the foul and then ending the game? Or just simply ending the game and heading to the locker room?
What justification does an official have for just leaving? Maybe a safety situation such as the spectators rushing the court.
Otherwise, the rules state to not attempt the FTs, not to ignore or fail to report the foul.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What justification does an official have for just leaving? Maybe a safety situation such as the spectators rushing the court.
Otherwise, the rules state to not attempt the FTs, not to ignore or fail to report the foul.
Did you meant: attempt the free throws and not to ignore or fail to report the foul?
I'm reporting the foul and shooting the free throws, unless there is a safety concern!
These points could have a bearing on tournament or district seeding and they sure could matter to the kid that was fouled.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:03am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Did you meant: attempt the free throws and not to ignore or fail to report the foul?
I'm reporting the foul and shooting the free throws, unless there is a safety concern!
These points could have a bearing on tournament or district seeding and they sure could matter to the kid that was fouled.
Tournament or district seedings are not our concern. Free throws which do not impact the outcome of the game are not shot. As for reporting a foul, I probably wouldn't do that either.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
I'm thinking the only reason to report a foul in that scenario is if it's flagrant (NF) or and F2 (NCAAW for me) since there's an automatic ejection attached. If it's a common foul there's really no purpose.
__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 02:36am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I'm thinking the only reason to report a foul in that scenario is if it's flagrant (NF) or and F2 (NCAAW for me) since there's an automatic ejection attached. If it's a common foul there's really no purpose.
In my state we could file a Special Report for any flagrant act or ejection that is normally field on these kinds of situations. So I would see no purpose to actually report if we decided to eject a player for a foul near the end of the game. But something tells me if such an act took place that resulted in some ejection, there would be a lot more going on that would have to be dealt with.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 08:17am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,738
I wouldn't report it. What's the point?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 08:22am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
In my state we could file a Special Report for any flagrant act or ejection that is normally field on these kinds of situations. So I would see no purpose to actually report if we decided to eject a player for a foul near the end of the game. But something tells me if such an act took place that resulted in some ejection, there would be a lot more going on that would have to be dealt with.

Peace
That's what I was thinking as well. If a kid gets an IF or FF at the buzzer there's going to be some crap to deal with that will keep us on the court.
__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 09:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Did you meant: attempt the free throws and not to ignore or fail to report the foul?
I'm reporting the foul and shooting the free throws, unless there is a safety concern!
These points could have a bearing on tournament or district seeding and they sure could matter to the kid that was fouled.
Absolutely not. Not only is there no bearing on the game, but the rules clearly state to NOT shoot free throws that will not have an impact on the game.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 09:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 127
Got it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:04am
Official Fiveum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eurasia - no, Myasia
Posts: 302
What was the point spread on the game and had you bet on it?
__________________
I don't know what "signature" means.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wouldn't report it. What's the point?
Better yet, why call it unless it was a very obvious foul?

You should be aware of the time on the clock. No need to call a foul unless it was very obvious and you want to reward free throws to a kid that maybe never sees the floor.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:24am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Better yet, why call it unless it was a very obvious foul?

You should be aware of the time on the clock. No need to call a foul unless it was very obvious and you want to reward free throws to a kid that maybe never sees the floor.
Disagree. Don't give up on the game just because the winner has been determined. Call the foul, if time expires while you do it, so be it.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Better yet, why call it unless it was a very obvious foul?

You should be aware of the time on the clock. No need to call a foul unless it was very obvious and you want to reward free throws to a kid that maybe never sees the floor.

In this situation, it was an obvious foul. I probably could have elaborated that it was a transition play as well so its not like everyone was sitting around waiting for the game to expire. In the order of play, it went shot, foul, whistle and within a half second the horn went off. I would hate to be on the other end of situation like that where the clock operator anticipated a foul, stops the clock and now you got nothing. Or even better yet, not realize there was actually 3 seconds left on the clock and not call anything, meanwhile the ball goes out of bounds and you have really compounded the issue.


I am not really arguing the merit of "calling a foul" merely asking whether you would go report this to the table or simply call it ball game and head off to the locker room.
__________________
"They don't play the game because we show up to officiate it"
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:29pm
Dad Dad is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
In this situation, it was an obvious foul. I probably could have elaborated that it was a transition play as well so its not like everyone was sitting around waiting for the game to expire. In the order of play, it went shot, foul, whistle and within a half second the horn went off. I would hate to be on the other end of situation like that where the clock operator anticipated a foul, stops the clock and now you got nothing. Or even better yet, not realize there was actually 3 seconds left on the clock and not call anything, meanwhile the ball goes out of bounds and you have really compounded the issue.


I am not really arguing the merit of "calling a foul" merely asking whether you would go report this to the table or simply call it ball game and head off to the locker room.
Clock operator anticipating a foul? I've never noticed this happen when I didn't have a whistle.

If there's time on the clock play it out like any other foul during the game. If it's the end of the game I really don't think it matters and it's personal choice. I've done everything from showing a foul and then saying game over to just reporting the foul. Really depends on what's going on.

We're not supposed to shoot FTs if it doesn't change the outcome of the game. I'm doing it the same way ever time to not give a team an advantage over another. Changing the rules to help a team for point differential on post season is hurting whatever team they are tied with.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
End of game procedure in a blow out kung Basketball 15 Sun Feb 09, 2014 02:46am
DQ Procedure stiffler3492 Basketball 39 Tue Dec 21, 2010 07:19pm
Delay of Game procedure SAK Basketball 6 Mon Dec 14, 2009 01:17pm
OT procedure DJ Football 6 Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:37pm
what is the procedure xxssmen Basketball 2 Tue Feb 24, 2004 08:55am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1