The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

If you have an unsportmanlike foul (dead ball foul) after a sucessfull extra point attempt at the end of a game sending it into overtime and the penalty will be assessed to the offense during the first possession of overtime because the team who wins the toss is the offending team and they chose the ball, can they get a first down after moving the ball 10 yds after starting 1st and 10 from the 25 yd line? Or is their only line to gain for a first down the goal line? Federation rules. Has this been discussed in an earlier thread?
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
If you have an unsportmanlike foul (dead ball foul) after a sucessfull extra point attempt at the end of a game sending it into overtime and the penalty will be assessed to the offense during the first possession of overtime because the team who wins the toss is the offending team and they chose the ball, can they get a first down after moving the ball 10 yds after starting 1st and 10 from the 25 yd line? Or is their only line to gain for a first down the goal line? Federation rules. Has this been discussed in an earlier thread?
If you use the recommended procedure directly out of the book and interpret those procedures like Illinois (or live in Illinois), the line to gain is always the goal line.

Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, this is a really good question. My first inclination would be that a first down could happen because the box hasn't been set yet. I'd be interested in other people's interpretation of this.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
If you are using the standard OT rules, as Mike says the line to gain is always the goal line.

But, some areas start at the 25 for a series or two and you can get a first down.
If the offending team wins the toss and chooses to be on offence they would not start at the 25. They would start at the 40 (25 + 15 for the USL). The down would be 1st & 10 with the line to gain being the 30.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I would also give the team winning the toss the option--including the penalty and make sure the coaches know this.

We start at the 10 in Georgia. If the penalty was on the team that won the toss, I'd say "Ok, you can either select defense and let them start their drive at the 5 or you can select offense and you will start your drive at the 25."

If the penalty wasn't on the team that won the toss, I'd say "Ok, you can either select offense and start your drive at the 5 or you can select defense and their drive will start at the 25."

Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Todd,
That is incorrect. We start at the 15 in Georgia. It is a modified NCAA overtime. Everything is the same except we start at the 15 instead of the 25.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Did I say 10? Oops.