The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

End of Game Procedure

Team A up by 10, A1 fouls B1 as time expires on a shot. No FTs to shoot as it has no bearing on game. Are you still going to table to report the foul and then ending the game? Or just simply ending the game and heading to the locker room?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Team A up by 10, A1 fouls B1 as time expires on a shot. No FTs to shoot as it has no bearing on game. Are you still going to table to report the foul and then ending the game? Or just simply ending the game and heading to the locker room?
What justification does an official have for just leaving? Maybe a safety situation such as the spectators rushing the court.
Otherwise, the rules state to not attempt the FTs, not to ignore or fail to report the foul.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What justification does an official have for just leaving? Maybe a safety situation such as the spectators rushing the court.
Otherwise, the rules state to not attempt the FTs, not to ignore or fail to report the foul.
Did you meant: attempt the free throws and not to ignore or fail to report the foul?
I'm reporting the foul and shooting the free throws, unless there is a safety concern!
These points could have a bearing on tournament or district seeding and they sure could matter to the kid that was fouled.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Did you meant: attempt the free throws and not to ignore or fail to report the foul?
I'm reporting the foul and shooting the free throws, unless there is a safety concern!
These points could have a bearing on tournament or district seeding and they sure could matter to the kid that was fouled.
Tournament or district seedings are not our concern. Free throws which do not impact the outcome of the game are not shot. As for reporting a foul, I probably wouldn't do that either.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking the only reason to report a foul in that scenario is if it's flagrant (NF) or and F2 (NCAAW for me) since there's an automatic ejection attached. If it's a common foul there's really no purpose.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 02:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I'm thinking the only reason to report a foul in that scenario is if it's flagrant (NF) or and F2 (NCAAW for me) since there's an automatic ejection attached. If it's a common foul there's really no purpose.
In my state we could file a Special Report for any flagrant act or ejection that is normally field on these kinds of situations. So I would see no purpose to actually report if we decided to eject a player for a foul near the end of the game. But something tells me if such an act took place that resulted in some ejection, there would be a lot more going on that would have to be dealt with.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 08:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

I wouldn't report it. What's the point?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
In my state we could file a Special Report for any flagrant act or ejection that is normally field on these kinds of situations. So I would see no purpose to actually report if we decided to eject a player for a foul near the end of the game. But something tells me if such an act took place that resulted in some ejection, there would be a lot more going on that would have to be dealt with.

Peace
That's what I was thinking as well. If a kid gets an IF or FF at the buzzer there's going to be some crap to deal with that will keep us on the court.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Absolutely not. Not only is there no bearing on the game, but the rules clearly state to NOT shoot free throws that will not have an impact on the game.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Got it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:04am
Official Fiveum Member

What was the point spread on the game and had you bet on it?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wouldn't report it. What's the point?
Better yet, why call it unless it was a very obvious foul?

You should be aware of the time on the clock. No need to call a foul unless it was very obvious and you want to reward free throws to a kid that maybe never sees the floor.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 11:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post

You should be aware of the time on the clock. No need to call a foul unless it was very obvious and you want to reward free throws to a kid that maybe never sees the floor.
Disagree. Don't give up on the game just because the winner has been determined. Call the foul, if time expires while you do it, so be it.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post

In this situation, it was an obvious foul. I probably could have elaborated that it was a transition play as well so its not like everyone was sitting around waiting for the game to expire. In the order of play, it went shot, foul, whistle and within a half second the horn went off. I would hate to be on the other end of situation like that where the clock operator anticipated a foul, stops the clock and now you got nothing. Or even better yet, not realize there was actually 3 seconds left on the clock and not call anything, meanwhile the ball goes out of bounds and you have really compounded the issue.

I am not really arguing the merit of "calling a foul" merely asking whether you would go report this to the table or simply call it ball game and head off to the locker room.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
In this situation, it was an obvious foul. I probably could have elaborated that it was a transition play as well so its not like everyone was sitting around waiting for the game to expire. In the order of play, it went shot, foul, whistle and within a half second the horn went off. I would hate to be on the other end of situation like that where the clock operator anticipated a foul, stops the clock and now you got nothing. Or even better yet, not realize there was actually 3 seconds left on the clock and not call anything, meanwhile the ball goes out of bounds and you have really compounded the issue.

I am not really arguing the merit of "calling a foul" merely asking whether you would go report this to the table or simply call it ball game and head off to the locker room.
Clock operator anticipating a foul? I've never noticed this happen when I didn't have a whistle.

If there's time on the clock play it out like any other foul during the game. If it's the end of the game I really don't think it matters and it's personal choice. I've done everything from showing a foul and then saying game over to just reporting the foul. Really depends on what's going on.

We're not supposed to shoot FTs if it doesn't change the outcome of the game. I'm doing it the same way ever time to not give a team an advantage over another. Changing the rules to help a team for point differential on post season is hurting whatever team they are tied with.