The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Is this a thing at any level?

Caught the first half of a big game a couple nights ago and saw something weird. All the officials are big hitters, I believe all do D1 of a sport. Two are baseball and the other did football for a time. All old so maybe this was a thing years ago. Anyway....

Three minutes left in the quarter and A1 goes up for a lay-up. B1 comes from behind and shoves him out of bounds with no play on the ball. Intentional foul. All three officials got together to talk about the play and I'm guessing on how to administer it. For the first FT they had everyone line up. For the second FT they made them all leave. After both FTs they gave the ball to A under the basket.

I was standing right near the court and there was never any confusion about the intentional foul or how to administer it. They purposely lined them up on the first throw and took them off on the second.

Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

We get old and we start to forget things... or maybe this was how it was done a 100 years ago?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Caught the first half of a big game a couple nights ago and saw something weird. All the officials are big hitters, I believe all do D1 of a sport. Two are baseball and the other did football for a time. All old so maybe this was a thing years ago. Anyway....

Three minutes left in the quarter and A1 goes up for a lay-up. B1 comes from behind and shoves him out of bounds with no play on the ball. Intentional foul. All three officials got together to talk about the play and I'm guessing on how to administer it. For the first FT they had everyone line up. For the second FT they made them all leave. After both FTs they gave the ball to A under the basket.

I was standing right near the court and there was never any confusion about the intentional foul or how to administer it. They purposely lined them up on the first throw and took them off on the second.

I would have said they just had a brain fart and realized late that the lanes needed to be cleared, but if they intentionally brought them in for the 1st, and sent them away for the 2nd? No clue on why they'd do that.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

The first one is for the "shooting foul" and you have to be on the line for that.

The second one is for the "intentional" foul, and you can't have anyone on the line for that.

Rule 7.95 (as in spend $7.95 for a rule book to find the right answer.)

Read the above in your all-but-blue filtered glasses.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Bob cracks me up.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The first one is for the "shooting foul" and you have to be on the line for that.

The second one is for the "intentional" foul, and you can't have anyone on the line for that.

Rule 7.95 (as in spend $7.95 for a rule book to find the right answer.)

Read the above in your all-but-blue filtered glasses.
Bob just to be clear. He misses a layup and gets taken out and you call an intentional foul. You put everyone on the line for one shot FT for a shooting foul. Then you give ONE free throw for an intentional foul?

You are confusing me...
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 03:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Bob just to be clear. He misses a layup and gets taken out and you call an intentional foul. You put everyone on the line for one shot FT for a shooting foul. Then you give ONE free throw for an intentional foul?

You are confusing me...
Whenever you see a reference to blue font don't take the post seriously.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You are confusing me...
Simple. Since it is intentional and shooting, it's a multiple foul and he gets one shot for each foul.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are confusing me...
Thank you.