The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

comfort level

Lead, trail, center? Where do you do your best work? Where are you most comfortable? Most confident.

For myself, it's trail as my favorite. My view and angles seem better, I'm more comfortable position wise and have a better sense of my primary.

Weakest...........center. I would like to work on center position in camps over summer.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I've only worked 2-man but I'll agree that trail is my favorite. I like having the wider view of the play. When I'm in Lead my angles and sightlines get blocked alot, and I find it hard to focus on 3 players boxing out 3 different guys to watch for "over-the-back" calls
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 01:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Lead is easiet for me. I was a post player in my day so I know all the tricks and dirty moves. I always have a good sense of when trouble is brewing amongst the big fellas. I'm also good at recognizing open players and where the next pass will go.

Trail is my weakness. I need to work harder at seeing between the defender and shooter on jumpers. I sometimes find my surprised when a player pulls up for a jumper, i need to get better at anticipating it and getting a good angle to referee the play.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Lead, trail, center? Where do you do your best work? Where are you most comfortable? Most confident.
Lead is my best and Center is my weakest. At Center, I have to remind myself constantly that half of the lane is mine. At Lead, you can work even further off the endline (baseline ), because of C's coverage, widening your view to avoid getting bad angles and sightlines.

To me, Lead seems to be more similar in 2-whistle and 3-whistle making it less of an adjustment than the Trail and Center.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is a very interesting question. I have never really thought about this. I think I am pretty comfortable at all positions. I was probably not as comfortable at the Lead position and that was because of rotations. Now that I rotate much more and know when to rotate, that feeling of uncomfortable feelings are gone. The Trail and the Center are really the same position, just from a different angle. I do not feel I have a weakness, but some might feel I do. It is just not something I have ever thought that much about.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure if this answers the question, but at camps in recent years, I've worked hard at being more assertive as the C -- making as many necessary calls as possible. In our area, supervisors want us to have double whistles on fouls as much as possible, and the C is usually the prime target for one of those whistles. Other than that, I like the view from the C the best, but if I were grading myself at positions, I'd probably give myself the highest grade at Lead.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I'm not sure if this answers the question, but at camps in recent years, I've worked hard at being more assertive as the C -- making as many necessary calls as possible. In our area, supervisors want us to have double whistles on fouls as much as possible, and the C is usually the prime target for one of those whistles. Other than that, I like the view from the C the best, but if I were grading myself at positions, I'd probably give myself the highest grade at Lead.
Good point, especially as summer camps approach. I've heard time and time again that a strong C is needed.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Center when there is a drive from my side to the basket. I find it hard to keep the angle I need to see through the play. What I am working on is when there is a drive from the wing to the basket, to step up and into the court to get the angle. When there is a drive from the top, I try to step down to maintain the angle to see through the driver and help side defender. I also try to anticipate the wing player making the catch and move while the ball is in the air to them. If I know they're a shooter I step down. If I know they're a driver, I step up. At least I can more plays right by playing the percentages.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

This is an easy one. I do my best work laying on the couch watching Desperate Housewives. That Teri Hatcher is an incredible babe.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was probably not as comfortable at the Lead position and that was because of rotations. Now that I rotate much more and know when to rotate, that feeling of uncomfortable feelings are gone.
Peace
Truer words were never spoken!!!!
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 03:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
This is an easy one. I do my best work laying on the couch watching Desperate Housewives. That Teri Hatcher is an incredible babe.
You're watching right now, correct? I'm partial to Marcia Cross.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 03:18pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Talking

[QUOTE=that feeling of uncomfortable feelings are gone. [/QUOTE]

Did you pay M&M his royalty for using this grammatical construct???
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Truer words were never spoken!!!!

I'll second that, when I improved on rotating it improved my confidence as lead.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

Mark the thread buster............
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

FT Administration

This kind of applies to weaknesses and strengths of 3-whistle. I found myself out of position early in the season on FT's due to the lane positions changing.

First FT as Lead on a 2 shot FT. Since the players were further from the endline, I was unknowingly positioning myself closer to the endline and lane. This one was brought to my attention by an observer.

FT's as Center. Now that there is a player in the highest lane space, I had to change my normal positon a little to see the lowest block.

It wasn't hard to correct, but it caught me by surprise.