The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

A new U at a new level

Working my first college game soon at U of all the positions I have the least experience at U. Any advice?
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
Working my first college game soon at U of all the positions I have the least experience at U. Any advice?
ALWAYS know where the ball IS and where it's going.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2014, 09:46am
TODO: creative title here

In no particular order:

1) Know your penalty enforcements. There's a lot of subtle (and not-so-subtle) things that are different from FED penalty enforcement.

2) Substitution mechanics... If Team A is substituting, you need to remain over the ball until Team B has the opportunity to match up. Look to the R, he should be giving the "iron cross" signal in this situation... pregame with your R and your wings on how you'll handle this.

3) Initial position on scrimmage plays: 7-8 yards from LOS, behind and to the side of the LBs. Try to stay out of the way as much as possible, but you need to be able to view the ball and the snap at all times. If a runner ends up coming right at you, FREEZE and GET SKINNY. Despite everything your brain will be telling you, moving backward or sideways is the worst thing you can possibly do.

4) You primarily control the pace of the game, not Team A. Try to get the ball spotted quickly (I usually aim to have it down with 32-33 seconds left on the 40-second play clock, unless there's an unusual circumstance).

5) Be the traffic cop. Use your voice (I've had D-I umpires say that if your voice isn't a little sore after a game, you're not talking enough). Congratulate players after they make a good play, warn players that are getting close to the edge ("Hey, #55, keep your hands in").

6) If the play ends in your area, raise one hand over your head (palm up, not a fist). This signals the 40-second play clock to start.

I'll post again when I think of more.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Totally agree about tip #5 above. I remember being hoarse after very competitive games. Your comments to players can go a long way to keep the game under control and moving along. Yes, the quick running backs can be upon you as fast as you can blink. You end up being a blocker for them. I only got really blasted once in my 40 seasons, and that was one I did not see coming. I might add to protect your knees, especially when players come rolling in towards you. Reduce the risk of a season or career ending injury. Have fun and keep everything in front of you. Did I say how much I miss the games?