The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

New to ASA, rec level

We are a newly formed slow pitch, rec level team. As we've been trying to get everything organized, we just realized that the rulebook must be purchased (we thought it would be available to read on the internet). With our first game coming up this Wednesday, we are scrambling to get at least a basic set of rules under our belt so that we can play with some effectiveness. We've read the amendments to the rulebook, but don't know the basics. Can anyone help us to get us through our first game?

Batting: how does the count work. I've read that we start at 1-1 and there was mention of a 4 strike rule?
Pitching: What are the rules in terms of min/max arc? What constitutes a legal pitch?
Substitutions: What are the basic rules for substitutions? Once a player is substituted, can they return in another inning? Is there a max number of substitutions if they can return?

Are there anymore "basics" that we should know to get us through the first game?

Thanks everyone for your help and patience!
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I would try to get ahold of a rule book, there is way too much to try to give you a cliff notes version One thing you might try is if you know of a league that is ASA you might be able to get a book from them. ASA gives rulebooks to every registered team, along with scorebooks. So you might find a league that has some extras, or at worst last years sitting around.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

The other thing you need to do is check with your league.

The rule about starting with a 1-1 count when batting is most likely a local rule instituted by your league. it is not an ASA rule that you will find in the book.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen
Batting: how does the count work. I've read that we start at 1-1 and there was mention of a 4 strike rule?
Pitching: What are the rules in terms of min/max arc? What constitutes a legal pitch?
Substitutions: What are the basic rules for substitutions? Once a player is substituted, can they return in another inning? Is there a max number of substitutions if they can return?
To quickly answer your Q's:
If you start with a 1-1 count, and the "free foul, or 4 strike" rule (league rule) that means that when a batter has 2 strikes(called or foul) on him, a hit foul ball is "free" meaning he's not out, still bats, but another foul is an automatic out.
In ASA, part of being a legal pitch--- while the pitcher is touching the plate, is between 6 ft and 12 ft from the ground.
If you are batting more than 10, you can free substitute on defense.
Batting order---any player can be subbed for, and then re-enter once, but they have to go back in the batting order that they were in before.

What was said above is correct, you really need a rulebook to cover the other 99.9%...
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

And let's not forget one of my pet peeves... The pitcher must make a complete stop with the ball in front of the body for at a minimum of 1 second before starting his/her delivery.

There's also no "leading off" on the bases.

On a caught fly ball, runners must tag up. If the catch is bobbled, they must tag up after it's first TOUCHED, not when it's caught.

On an uncaught infield fly, runners do NOT have to tag up and they MAY advance.

Defensive players not in possession of the ball OR in the act of fielding a BATTED ball must let the runners by without obstructing them. In other words, "get out of the way!"

Report all of your substitutions to the home plate umpire. Remember, a substitution occurs as SOON as you put them in. It's not "well, I'll report it when that player goes out to play on defense." Report it as soon as you make the switch.

Keep your batting order straight. Batting out of order creates a big mess that no one likes to sort through.

Last but not least: respect the umpires. If you come off as a jerk, you'll have a long season. You're human, we're human. If you accept the fact that everyone is out there to do their best (including umpires), you'll have a lot of fun.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Where's that list of "40 rule myths" in softball? I think that could actually come in handy for this poster...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! We know that we need the rulebook, but because our first game is in 2 days, we just needed to get a quick reference of basic rules so that we don't mess up the game for the other team and umps. I'm sure that we'll be able to dig up a rulebook or two by the second game.

Archangel and NCASAUmp, thank you for the specifics in anwering our questions, as well as others you felt we needed to know. Your answers are helpful and will allow us to play with respect to the rules and other team.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 07:03pm
GrumpUmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Where's that list of "40 rule myths" in softball? I think that could actually come in handy for this poster...
I have a list of 44 softball myths here.

Last edited by GrumpUmp; Mon Jun 23, 2008 at 07:11pm.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp
I have a list of 44 softball myths here.
Not a bad list. I got one that I hear all the time: "Pitcher must present the ball".
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

The myths can also be found here.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
The myths can also be found here.
Except #16 should be deleted.