The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
My officiating experience is fast pitch heavy. I've done it for 11 years now. I would NEVER put up with chirping in softball the way we do in basketball. It's a different monster bc in basketball it is almost expected, it seems, of coaches to be jabbering all the time. Softball and baseball around here, coaches just don't do that. And again, it's a different type of action in that it's not constant like basketball. So to me, basketball is much worse than softball.
It's just because of the constant activity. Coaches have five guys on the floor apiece all moving around and doing something so they're naturally going to be louder and more active. In baseball/softball, usually it's just one or two players a side doing anything at a given moment and there are way fewer moving parts, ergo, less for a coach to have to talk about.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
It's just because of the constant activity. Coaches have five guys on the floor apiece all moving around and doing something so they're naturally going to be louder and more active. In baseball/softball, usually it's just one or two players a side doing anything at a given moment and there are way fewer moving parts, ergo, less for a coach to have to talk about.
And very low tolerance for argument about the most common judgment call: balls and strikes
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

As for your partners not taking care of business... curious how post season assignments are handled in your state? Do coaches vote? I've worked in a few states and it seems the states where coaches vote on post season officials have many who simply won't penalize unsporting behavior for fear of losing a vote.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
As for your partners not taking care of business... curious how post season assignments are handled in your state? Do coaches vote? I've worked in a few states and it seems the states where coaches vote on post season officials have many who simply won't penalize unsporting behavior for fear of losing a vote.
In the SCHSL, postseason is determined entirely by a rating formula. Coaches votes do not factor into it, but peer ratings account for 25%. You can imagine the types of issues this causes.

However, officials only rate their peers for varsity games, so this game wouldn't have any effect.