The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 04:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
Yeah it's something I've been trying to work on, especially the last 1.5 years. Feel like I'm getting there but something always to work on.

Even that coach in our game a few weeks back that earned a T didn't get the 'angry' reaction/look either....Mainly cause I didn't need to sell the T as everyone in the gym knew he crossed the line...
You should never have to sell a T. Whack and move.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 04:15pm
This IS My Social Life

Thus far this season, I have learned . . .
1) How not to have that "Watergate Moment", when the "tape is erased for minutes at a time" during a game -- when it seems the game is in control of me instead of me in control of myself during the entire game. Getting much better at 48 minutes of undivided focus and attention instead of one or two minutes somewhere inbetween that go by like an unconscious blur.
2) To verbally count down to myself from about thirty seconds to go on the clock so that I don't lose an opportunity to adjudicate a last second shot, if necessary.
3) How to get even more out of video review and self-assessment and how to effectively teach that to others.
4) That the NFHS needs to run all changes past the contributors of this Forum before printing or publicizing any rule changes, rulebook revisions, POE's, or Interpretations.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You should never have to sell a T. Whack and move.
Agree on the never having to sell a T....

Probably a bad use of words on my part...in years past I would tend to have a visible annoyed reaction when I would give out the T. It would be pretty clear coach got under my skin when I blew my whistle and gave the signal...

I've been a lot better with the whack and move without any kind of visible reaction on my part...
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 04:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Agree on the never having to sell a T....

Probably a bad use of words on my part...in years past I would tend to have a visible annoyed reaction when I would give out the T. It would be pretty clear coach got under my skin when I blew my whistle and gave the signal...

I've been a lot better with the whack and move without any kind of visible reaction on my part...
I think I always have an annoyed face when I call a T, but I'm very low key in how I assess it. By the time folks realize I have a T I'm already with a partner discussing the administration and resumption of play.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Evening ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
My nickname used to be "Angry Bird"
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah it's something I've been trying to work on, especially the last 1.5 years. Feel like I'm getting there but something always to work on.

Even that coach in our game a few weeks back that earned a T didn't get the 'angry' reaction/look either....Mainly cause I didn't need to sell the T as everyone in the gym knew he crossed the line...
Even the official scorer?
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 11:54pm
Back from the DL

I learned today not to take shortcuts to your car down small muddy hills. They tend to cause you to fall, strain your quad, put you on crutches, and turn back assignments.

Last edited by bainsey; Thu Jan 28, 2016 at 11:56pm.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Well, this is my first year I've learned everything I can. My main focuses right now to get better are as followed:
- Stop ball watching when stuff in my area is pretty dull. (I've been doing varsity more but mainly two man) I tend to anticipate a dribble coming into my area and watch the ball for it to happen
- Posture/Stand tall I'm 6'4" and have been known to not stand as tall as possible.
- Always work for a better view of my area. I use to get to my spot and stand idle. I've been getting better at this.
- Not be so robotic. I used to do everything by book. Been told by local guys to not 'go off book' but add my own little trademarks on certain stuff. Example: the way you pop out and call a block or offensive.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I learned today not to take shortcuts to your car down small muddy hills. They tend to cause you to fall, strain your quad, put you on crutches, and turn back assignments.
Get back soon!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have a T process where you go over and say something like coach this is our last chat since we have a T. Is there anything you want to discuss while my partner takes care of the T? Can only 20 year vets get away with this when having white hair, etc.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:59pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Does anyone have a T process where you go over and say something like coach this is our last chat since we have a T. Is there anything you want to discuss while my partner takes care of the T? Can only 20 year vets get away with this when having white hair, etc.
No.

If the coach has lost her coaching-box privileges as a result of the T (especially in the case of the coache's unsporting behavior), and they're still standing/talking after a short cooling-off period, I, as the non-T-calling official will address it with a "Coach, by rule, you can no longer use the coaching box for the remainder of the game". If she tries to bring up ANYTHING to do with any calls during the game, I'm simply going to say "we're past the point of talking about any calls, please sit down." And then I'm going to walk away.

If the coach loses the coaching box due to some indirect technical, I might give her a little leeway, but she's not getting much.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 01:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I personally won't comment on the coach standing until those free throws are complete (just something I do, don't expect anyone else to do the same or agree with it). But I do not engage coaches in conversations after my partner has T'd them.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can think of several reasons why this is a really bad idea but not a single reason why this would be a good idea.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The only thing I will say to a coach after a T is that they might want to sit down. And that is only after they are not making it clear they understand the rule. Otherwise I have no desire to ever talk to a coach after a T.

I told the coach the other night when he wanted to talk to me and I told him "no" his answer to that was "why?" Then I told him, "I want to keep you in the game" and we moved on from there and did not talk the rest of the game.

I do have some grey, but not white hair, but nothing gets in my way. Not sure what you mean by this, but OK.

Peace